Senton LHS was trying to talk me out of 3s Senton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennyboy2

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Voltage
At my LHS I was talking to them about getting the senton 3s . They were telling me that it’s hard to find parts, electronics are lil weak, can’t just buy tires easily, etc. I had told them from what I was reading on this forum things didn’t look so bad for parts and such. They mostly carry Traxxas and 1/8th scale Arrma which I do like but I am newer to hobby and looking for 2s 3s stuff. Have the granite voltage currently but my 4 yr old son is being trained to take over that one. I believe with the info on this site and online hobby products that I still gunning for senton. Thoughts?

From a cost perspective going through breakers like JennysRC or others on eBay, you should be able to get all the parts you need at a great price. With that said I always push to support you LHS finically so they can survive!

Why not make the jump to a 6s model? I assure you that you wont be disappointed!
(you could always run it on 4s and it would drive much like your 3s rigs.)

-Liberty

From a cost perspective going through breakers like JennysRC or others on eBay, you should be able to get all the parts you need at a great price. With that said I always push to support you LHS finically so they can survive!

Why not make the jump to a 6s model? I assure you that you wont be disappointed!
(you could always run it on 4s and it would drive much like your 3s rigs.)

-Liberty
Yea I know I wouldn’t be disappointed just seems lil over kill for my skill level. I have just got into hobby with the voltage lineup. I like the fact with the 3s line I could also use 2s with voltage and senton.

One of the main reasons I bought the Senton 3s BLX over the Slash, is that it does not appear to need parts in the same way that the Traxxas does. My 8YO's friend recently got a Rustler VLX (4 weeks ago?), and the Rustler VLX had several parts break even in the first week. So far we had some battery problems with our Senton which I though was the Senton at first, but it has turned out to be the battery.

I just wanted something my 8YO can turn on and use reliably. I don't want to *have to* buy aftermarket parts or do upgrades to make it reliable. We aren't going to race it competitively. We aren't doing any of the huge jumps you see on youtube. So far we hare happy with the Senton 3s BLX. We did break our first part, my 8YO tore a body clip retainer off. :rolleyes: I fixed it with two cable ties.

Attachments

• repair1.jpg
    repair1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 48
  • repair2.jpg
    repair2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 43
Only parts I've struggled to get with Arrma vehicles are upgrades from aftermarket companies that are released and sell out in a couple months. I think they produce a conservative estimate for initial sales because they aren't sure what kind of movement they'll see. Then when they sell out there's a wait time for the next batch. This happened for hot racing extensions and duratrax hubs for the 4x4 3s models.
This example is for my big rock and granite trucks and I know of some concerns with the 3s Typhon arms etc but all has been resolved I think.

I have never had any problems with electrics on any of my Arrma trucks. Never replaced a motor, esc and only replaced servos because I wanted more power and speed. Every rtr vehicle I can think of is fitted with a servo that could be stronger. Set of four dBoots Fortress tires are easily available and under $40.

Your LHS may have an agenda / better margins selling the Slash but Arrma is unquestionably tougher through and through.

Only parts I've struggled to get with Arrma vehicles are upgrades from aftermarket companies that are released and sell out in a couple months. I think they produce a conservative estimate for initial sales because they aren't sure what kind of movement they'll see. Then when they sell out there's a wait time for the next batch. This happened for hot racing extensions and duratrax hubs for the 4x4 3s models.
This example is for my big rock and granite trucks and I know of some concerns with the 3s Typhon arms etc but all has been resolved I think.

I have never had any problems with electrics on any of my Arrma trucks. Never replaced a motor, esc and only replaced servos because I wanted more power and speed. Every rtr vehicle I can think of is fitted with a servo that could be stronger. Set of four dBoots Fortress tires are easily available and under $40.

Your LHS may have an agenda / better margins selling the Slash but Arrma is unquestionably tougher through and through.
Thanks everyone for your responses. Wanted to feel that out with the community. I am looking forward to the tough senton. Almost have enough money pocketed away. Just need to get lipos and charger $$. Lil bit more overtime play $$

Yea I know I wouldn’t be disappointed just seems lil over kill for my skill level. I have just got into hobby with the voltage lineup. I like the fact with the 3s line I could also use 2s with voltage and senton.

There certainly is value to having all of your RCs running on similar batteries. LiPos are one of the most expensive parts of the hobby.
With that said 3s is also plenty of juice for some good speed/power to have fun with.

-Liberty

At my LHS I was talking to them about getting the senton 3s . They were telling me that it’s hard to find parts, electronics are lil weak, can’t just buy tires easily, etc. I had told them from what I was reading on this forum things didn’t look so bad for parts and such. They mostly carry Traxxas and 1/8th scale Arrma which I do like but I am newer to hobby and looking for 2s 3s stuff. Have the granite voltage currently but my 4 yr old son is being trained to take over that one. I believe with the info on this site and online hobby products that I still gunning for senton. Thoughts?
The only time I had issues finding parts was right after they came out parts were rather scarce. But now parts are available everywhere, pick a random part out of the parts explosion and you can easily find it from soooo many places, direct from Arrma, direct from Horizon, Tower Hobbies, Amain, I think Amazon and all over ebay.

My hobby has always my parts or i can order them from them
I need to go down to my LHS and see if they carry Arrma yet, I talked to one of the guys this summer and he said they were thinking about getting Arrma.

Sweet def helps make up my mind to stick with Arrma. So far I am already super impressed with the granite voltage. R/c’s have come a long way since the 90’s when I had as a kid. I really enjoy just driving around and doing small jumps and passing off to son and watch him get better and have fun. Thanks again all. Arrma strong?

The 3S line is pretty mature at this point and parts are very easy to find. JRC is my go to, but there’s also eBay, Horizon, or A-main. Tons of options.

From what I understand Traxxas has an agreement with many LHS to market Traxxas exclusively. The unfortunate consequence of this is you may not get sincere advice from their reps. Mine was pushing Traxxas too but I frankly don't want to support a company that tries to completely stifle competition like Traxxas does... and it does sound like they arent made as well as their Arrma counterparts.

So another reference point from my somewhat limited experience. My son ran his Senton 3s BLX at his first RC club meeting yesterday. The Rustler VLX I previously mentioned was there. The month old Rustler VLX went in for repairs at least twice with a front shock popping off. The Senton had zero down time. Of the hour long event, probably 50% of it was drive time, and the rest was kids playing with cars, rollovers, lining up just right for the ramps, etc, which is why they were there. It ran on 75% speed limiter and 100% speed for the entire drive time, and the one 8000 mAh battery we used went into LVC with about 15 seconds before the end of the meet. So far I'm very happy with the Senton 3s, and the SMC 8000 mAh battery. The Rustler VLX owner's dad was impressed with the Senton's full speed head on collision durability. Lots of "Ooooh... wait it's still going..."

However, my cable tie clip repair above only lasted as long as one friend helping with disassembly to get the battery out at the end. "uh, I broke this, sorry..." :) "No problem, it was already broken".

Most of the other cars appeared to be 2WD Traxxas cars. Also, the school event is apparently sponsored by Traxxas but any car is allowed. There was one non Traxxas 2WD which the kid used for regional racing events, but I don't know what it was.

Yea from what I have seen on YouTube and everyone in forum the senton is a good buy. Just hooked up my granite voltage with Tbone racing bumper front/back so he can rough that up a lil more. Then when I have senton we will both can Rc it up. Been looking for nice spots to go in Delaware. Been going to local parks. Haven’t hit up skate parks yet. Not into jumping really as much as just driving all over

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back