Limitless LibertyMkiii's crazy belt drive car project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that would be amazing! I need to research this. Easier than a second radio.
Yep I see the second port

46AB4416-787D-496C-9125-482AE6D5EFAF.png

that sucks! :( get better soon! we need this world record to be smashed!! 🤩
Thanks man! I can tell it is turning around and I am feeling better day by day.
As much as I have made quick progress on this project the fine details are where I am headed now, and things will be slowing down significantly.
I certainly don't want to rush anything.

Big steps in the project left to do:
-Idler/tensioner pulleys
-Make the body mold
-Make a test body out of fiberglass
-Figure out body mounting
-Adjust the cuts for the chassis to fit the body (over sized right now on purpose)
-Figure out the front steering servo mount and steering links
-Wiring
-Battery mounting
-Radio range testing
-Pulley slip testing/belt alignment testing

The next few weeks I will likely be focusing on making the mold and body.

The 1700kv TP4070 came in. Here is the difference in wire size. I'd say its 2mm vs 4mm (big difference!!!)
780kv____________________________________1700KV
780kv Capture.JPG
wireCapture.JPG

The mod 1.5 gears came in that allow me to reduce the final drive down enough to handle this higher KV motor. (couldn't get a large enough mod 1 gear set to do this)
Currently setup at 45/21. I am going to attempt to cut down the thickness of the spur as its one heavy beast.

mod 1.5 Capture.JPG

Also got my idler pulleys in this weekend and will be starting on building the belt tensioner/guides.

Another thing I got time to do this weekend was guide coat the body and wet sand. This exposed lots of low spots. So I'll need more filler primer and repeating the process until its smooth like a baby's bottom.

guideCapture.JPG

sanded 1Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like you made some good progress this weekend. I enjoy the process of sanding and smoothing, it's kind of relaxing, just dislike how long it takes, and how much of a mess it makes. 🤪

Looks like you made some good progress this weekend. I enjoy the process of sanding and smoothing, it's kind of relaxing, just dislike how long it takes, and how much of a mess it makes. 🤪
When I was 16, a friend who had graduated high school started working at a body shop. He taught me how to sand, prep, and paint cars. I really enjoy it and often think about switching my line of work to this. I just don't think my back issues would agree with it long term. Plus there has to be some health concerns from chronic exposure.

Last edited:
When I was 16 a friend who had graduated high school started working at a body shop and taught me how to sand, prep, and paint cars. I really enjoy it and often think about switching my line of work to this. I just don't think my back issues would agree with it long term. Plus there has to be some health concerns from chronic exposure.
Well, we are all getting somewhat used to wearing masks lol.

LOL very true. I also notice I have not had as many allergy related issues this year because of wearing a mask!
One of the nice things about covid. But myself, I'd rather have allergy issues than have to wear masks IMHO. 🤷‍♂️ Allergys suck though.

Reminder that if you can smell through your mask, it isn't doing anything.

I can't speak for where you are, but out here we haven't gotten our pollen bloom yet. I'm sure there is some placebo effect, but there is also the possibility of it just being a light pollen season this year.

I can't speak for where you are, but out here we haven't gotten our pollen bloom yet. I'm sure there is some placebo effect, but there is also the possibility of it just being a light pollen season this year.
Yep! I like to say: If underwear can't stop a fart, a mask can't stop covid. :ROFLMAO:

I use a nice 3M dual filter respirator. I like to utilize my PPE. I have enough issues without lung problems o_O

I use a nice 3M dual filter respirator. I like to utilize my PPE. I have enough issues without lung problems o_O

Don't forget to shave! Respirators don't like to seal around stubble.

I wear the same when airbrushing. (y) I spent a lot of time around chemicals in the 80's and 90's, my throat is sensitive now. Mild chemical smells make me cough.

Gotta love 3D printers.
This morning I designed a simple block that would hold a 5mm shaft for the belt guide/idler. It has 2 holes on the bottom for m3 screws.
The block, on the edge of the 5mm hole, has a small spacer built in to keep the idler from rubbing the block.

After 1.5 hours of print time and about 20 mins in the garage cutting some 5mm rod its ready to go into the car.

1Capture.JPG

2Capture.JPG

I may get fancy later and make something that is adjustable, but this will do the job for now.

Gotta love 3D printers.
This morning I designed a simple block that would hold a 5mm shaft for the belt guide/idler. It has 2 holes on the bottom for m3 screws.
The block, on the edge of the 5mm hole, has a small spacer built in to keep the idler from rubbing the block.

After 1.5 hours of print time and about 20 mins in the garage cutting some 5mm rod its ready to go into the car.

View attachment 144930

View attachment 144931

I may get fancy later and make something that is adjustable, but this will do the job for now.
Yep! They can solve a lot of our problems.

Baby is coming this next week. Trying to mentally prepare myself. This is child #3 so it is not my first rodeo...

Small diversion from the RC project. My 9yr old son is doing a pinewood derby car. It was important to me that he do the work and learn. Many cars are built by dad.
Making a cavity for the weights:
Screenshot_20210515-093953.jpg

Screenshot_20210515-093957.jpg

Spare scrap of carbon fiber twill and he brushed on the epoxy resin. Does nothing for the cars performance, but will look cool.
Screenshot_20210515-093931.jpg

Next he polished the axles with various grades of sandpaper followed by a polish compound.
Screenshot_20210515-094009.jpg

Next will be setup/alignment tuning.
It has been fun so far to watch him learn and get some hands on experience with these tools.
Screenshot_20210515-093922.jpg

Baby is coming this next week. Trying to mentally prepare myself. This is child #3 so it is not my first rodeo...

Small diversion from the RC project. My 9yr old son is doing a pinewood derby car. It was important to me that he do the work and learn. Many cars are built by dad.
Making a cavity for the weights:
View attachment 145727
View attachment 145728

Spare scrap of carbon fiber twill and he brushed on the epoxy resin. Does nothing for the cars performance, but will look cool.
View attachment 145729

Next he polished the axles with various grades of sandpaper followed by a polish compound.
View attachment 145730

Next will be setup/alignment tuning.
It has been fun so far to watch him learn and get some hands on experience with these tools.
View attachment 145732

Nobody else is gonna have carbon fiber, that’s for sure! 😎

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back