Limitless LibertyMkiii's crazy belt drive car project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baby is coming this next week. Trying to mentally prepare myself. This is child #3 so it is not my first rodeo...

Small diversion from the RC project. My 9yr old son is doing a pinewood derby car. It was important to me that he do the work and learn. Many cars are built by dad.
Making a cavity for the weights:
View attachment 145727
View attachment 145728

Spare scrap of carbon fiber twill and he brushed on the epoxy resin. Does nothing for the cars performance, but will look cool.
View attachment 145729

Next he polished the axles with various grades of sandpaper followed by a polish compound.
View attachment 145730

Next will be setup/alignment tuning.
It has been fun so far to watch him learn and get some hands on experience with these tools.
View attachment 145732
Congratulations!

Mark Rober on YT has couple awesome videos on making pinewood derby cars. He got one up to 40mph lol with c02 cartriges.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeQvygda1pnkVmlqdWzI0Sw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe....youtube.com/channel/UCeQvygda1pnkVmlqdWzI0Sw

Congrats on baby #3! Hoping all goes well and everyone is healthy and happy! Let the little man know we are all wishing him luck and that he does good with the derby car as well!

Monday the 17th my wife had a sonogram. They determined the amniotic fluid was low and needed to deliver the baby that day.
Jackson was only at 36 weeks, which is a little early.
He was born at 8 lbs 1 oz. (our smallest baby yet, the last one was 11 lbs ;) )

Both mom and Jackson are doing great and we are back home as of yesterday getting used to our new routine of waking up every 2-3 hours during the night o_O
Our other 2 sons are smitten and really enjoying their new brother!

JackCapture.JPG

Today my wife and her mother went to his first pediatrician visit and I stayed home with the older son. This meant some garage time ;)
Got started on mocking up some of the steering components. I will be using a 28mm steering link that I found and cutting from carbon fiber sheet the cardboard piece that normally comes in red anodized metal on the Arrma cars. This part had to be made custom to help clear the pulley and of course no typical steering system here.
Ackerman and bump steer are not really a thing at all, or a concern given the setup and use. U-turns will probably suck but it should work.

A high power servo was a must for this build. I splurged a little bit on this servo which is absolutely beautifully machined.

1Capture.JPG

2Capture.JPG

The front axle has not been made yet, I simply had a piece of metal in there to hold the pulley for mock up purposes.

Along those lines I have mocked up the bent tensioner/guides:

Rear Capture.JPG

The front one will fit on the top instead of the bottom but just showing it here in this position for reference:
FrontCapture.JPG

Last edited:
Monday the 17th my wife had a sonogram. They determined the amniotic fluid was low and needed to deliver the baby that day.

Both mom and Jackson are doing great and we are back home as of yesterday getting used to our new routine of waking up every 2-3 hours during the night o_O

View attachment 146854

Today my wife and her mother went to his first pediatrician visit and I stayed home with the older son. This mean some garage time ;)
Got started on mocking up some of the steering components. I will be using a 28mm steering link that I found and cutting from carbon fiber sheet the cardboard piece that normally comes in red anodized metal on the Arrma cars. This part had to be made custom to help clear the pulley and of course no typical steering system here.
Ackerman and bump steer are not really a thing at all, or a concern given the setup and use. U-turns will probably suck but it should work.

A high power servo was a must for this build. I splurged a little bit on this servo which is absolutely beautifully machined.

View attachment 146856

View attachment 146857

The front axle has not been made yet, I simply had a piece of metal in there to hold the pulley for mock up purposes.

View attachment 146858

The front one will fit on the top instead of the bottom but just showing it here in this position for reference:
View attachment 146859
Congratulations Francis! He looks like he’s a keeper!

View attachment 146854

Today my wife and her mother went to his first pediatrician visit and I stayed home with the older son. This meant some garage time ;)

View attachment 146856

View attachment 146857

View attachment 146858

View attachment 146859
CONGRATS!!!! i wish you the best of times with your new lil' bundle of joy! :)

Congrats!

Now my usual warnings: Watch your ass when cutting and sanding carbon fiber. CF dust is equal to asbestos, and in theory one fiber can cause cancer after a few decades. Don't vacuum, use damp cloths to wipe up. If you get it on your clothes, then go into the house to cradle your newborn, and he inhales just some of the microscopic fibers, well, I'll leave the thought in your head. Carbon fiber nanoparticles (dust) is bad. Trust me, I'm a professional. Be clean, be smart, and be safe.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back