Limitless LibertyMkiii's crazy belt drive car project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things have been very busy lately.... no progress on the car specifically.

You may have seen my other thread about RC boats. I got a smoking deal on 12 RC boats for $150.00
I am slowly selling them off and already cleared nearly $460.00 after eBay fees and shipping. Doing this to help raise funds for further work on the car. A necessary evil at this point to generate some cash flow.

Also as a side benefit we (my sons and I) will likely keep 1 or 2 boats and use them at the lake by the house.

There is always a small part of me that gets frustrated with how I cannot use the car often. A car of this speed is bult in a way that you really cant use it on regular streets at all. At this point I need to travel to an runway/airport to use it. I would estimate my run times will be 1 or 2 times per year. The RC boats should help fill that void as well as providing some fun times with the kids. I honestly think for my youngest, he would have more fun with less crashing given the only obstacles will be the coast line.

Still scouting for a closer airport/runway that I can use the car on. The guy I bought these boats from does RC airplanes. He told me they have an event 2 times per year at the Johnson space center in Houston. Only about 4 hours away from me. He said if they had the runway rented for the day there would be no reason I couldn't come out and run my car on it. After looking closer it appears most of the runway has been demo'd only leaving about 200 ft of usable space. #Lame

Sounds like you got a real bargain with the boats, ....I've always fancied an RC boat but what has always put me off is what happens if it dies off shore or rolls over.
You then need a real boat to go and get it or have to take a swim.

Would love to see the boats though if you ever want to share some pics. :)

Finding places to run proper fast road RC's is a nightmare for most people with them I'd bet. My own are easily too fast for any of the local areas I once used flat out so often I just use them for testing purposes before going to a proper ROSSA event.

Still it's all the more satisfying when I do get to let them go full bore. (y)
Good luck with your build still.

Sounds like you got a real bargain with the boats, ....I've always fancied an RC boat but what has always put me off is what happens if it dies off shore or rolls over.
You then need a real boat to go and get it or have to take a swim.

Would love to see the boats though if you ever want to share some pics. :)

Finding places to run proper fast road RC's is a nightmare for most people with them I'd bet. My own are easily too fast for any of the local areas I once used flat out so often I just use them for testing purposes before going to a proper ROSSA event.

Still it's all the more satisfying when I do get to let them go full bore. (y)
Good luck with your build still.

Yes I am very close to the lake. It nearly surrounds our area....
The wife is onboard with getting a Kayak, so that will likely be my next move. I read that running in a pond is ideal so that if there is a problem it would be a short distance to the edge of the pond. If it sinks that is certainly another story...

1624312200676.png

This is the current mess of boats.
Largest ones at 54"
Smallest 2 were 27" and 31" that sold on eBay.

FleetCapture.JPG

Do you still have the hydrofoil?
If so how much?
That one sure is popular LOL
I have 3 people in line for that one. Maybe I should raise my price :ROFLMAO:

I took that boat to UPS yesterday to get a quote on shipping. They indicated they would have to custom order a box for it. Packing/boxing alone was nearly $100.00 and shipping would be at least another $120.00

I suppose that is why most online/eBay boats are smaller.

Yes I am very close to the lake. It nearly surrounds our area....
The wife is onboard with getting a Kayak, so that will likely be my next move. I read that running in a pond is ideal so that if there is a problem it would be a short distance to the edge of the pond. If it sinks that is certainly another story...

View attachment 153380

This is the current mess of boats.
Largest ones at 54"
Smallest 2 were 27" and 31" that sold on eBay.

View attachment 153381
The white one, in the middle. Is that the Dumas "Deep Vee" at 54"? I miss my Aeromarine super cat. With the OPS .90, she was tough to beat. If you set her up right, she'll do anything you ask. I miss the nitro just a bit. Just like there will always be "audiophiles" that prefer tube-based amplifiers. started with outboard tunnel hulls. They too were a blast. But yes, bring a raft in case of a tip, just as you would bring a raincoat in case of rain.

Last edited:
The white one, in the middle. Is that the Dumas "Deep Vee" at 54"? I miss my Aeromarine super cat. With the OPS .90, she was tough to beat. If you set her up right, she'll do anything you ask. I miss the nitro just a bit. Just like there will always be "audiophiles" that prefer tube-based amplifiers. started with outboard tunnel hulls. They too were a blast. But yes, bring a raft in case of a tip, just as you would bring a raincoat in case of rain.

There is no name inside, but appears to be one of the newer hulls in the lot.
I expect it might be a Dumas or seaducer 54"

That is one of the boats I stuck up in the attic that I may build out later. Two TP Power motors in there would be pretty awesome!

There is no name inside, but appears to be one of the newer hulls in the lot.
I expect it might be a Dumas or seaducer 54"

That is one of the boats I stuck up in the attic that I may build out later. Two TP Power motors in there would be pretty awesome!
It looks like the Dumas. The 54" seems familiar. I had one until I realized that Dumas was analogous to Traxxas.
My boats were Aeromarines powered ONLY by OPS. Dude, I had it so trimmed, it was in the zone. I just love cats (hate the real ones).
I'm sorry I didn't have a GPS or speed gun. The sucker was fast. !!! I learned it all from my R/C shop friend. I wish I had a picture. It was "Robocop" blue. Darker at the edges, and sparkling finish; my friend paints cars.

And like I said, I miss nitro. A well-tuned pipe on the OPS and it looked like it did turns at 70mph.

I wonder if you compare the OPS .90 and the best brushless motor. I know the record is owned by an electric but there is nothing like the sound of well-tuned pipe, doing a "fly-by" on the crowd.

Did you do any nitro, are you all electrons?
Good analogy, except why is audiophile in quotes? We exist! :cool:
I read somewhere in a forum that his system can do up to 20k hertz. That's not bad even if a human ear can only ascertain about 15K.
I play guitar, so if you are a stereo tube "audiophile", please remember it is us guitar players that saved the vacuum tube from becoming extinct. Regards, Dave

It looks like the Dumas. The 54" seems familiar. I had one until I realized that Dumas was analogous to Traxxas.
My boats were Aeromarines powered ONLY by OPS. Dude, I had it so trimmed, it was in the zone. I just love cats (hate the real ones).
I'm sorry I didn't have a GPS or speed gun. The sucker was fast. !!! I learned it all from my R/C shop friend. I wish I had a picture. It was "Robocop" blue. Darker at the edges, and sparkling finish; my friend paints cars.

And like I said, I miss nitro. A well-tuned pipe on the OPS and it looked like it did turns at 70mph.

I wonder if you compare the OPS .90 and the best brushless motor. I know the record is owned by an electric but there is nothing like the sound of well-tuned pipe, doing a "fly-by" on the crowd.

Did you do any nitro, are you all electrons?

I read somewhere in a forum that his system can do up to 20k hertz. That's not bad even if a human ear can only ascertain about 15K.
I play guitar, so if you are a stereo tube "audiophile", please remember it is us guitar players that saved the vacuum tube from becoming extinct. Regards, Dave
I did some nitro cars in the early 2000's but now I am fully electric. I have always been the type to be overly considerate of others and didn't like the noise of Nitro for that reason. Also with my OCD I couldn't handle all the grease/oil/grime...

I firmly believe that nitro/gas cannot keep up with electric (if you have the correct electronics)

The guy doing 190mph with the Limitless is using an XLX2 and TP 56XX motor and cranking out 19kW. That equates to nearly 25 hp. You would need a 125cc 2-stroke (like what comes in dirt bikes) to get near that power level, which is probably to large of a motor for most boats.

Last edited:
I did some nitro cars in the early 2000's but now I am fully electric. I have always been the type to be overly considerate of others and didn't like the noise of Nitro for that reason. Also with my OCD I couldn't handle all the grease/oil/grime...

I firmly believe that nitro/gas cannot keep up with electric (if you have the correct electronics)

The guy doing 190mph with the Limitless is using an XLX2 and TP 56XX motor and cranking out 19kW. That equates to nearly 25 hp. You would need a 125cc 2-stroke (like what comes in dirt bikes) to get near that power level, which is probably to large of a motor for most boats.
But remember the OPS motor is .90 cc, and the torque is massive. The thing with electrics is, like cars, you can always add more batteries. And with cats, only the last couple of inches rides on the plane. Mind you, everything has to be set up right. Truing up a propeller is so important, it's required. Trim up those tabs so the boat can handle the speed you desire. Once "on plane" there is very little friction on the hull which makes for incredible speed. I know you are aware of all this, but it brings great memories back to me just talking about it.
Ciao, David

But remember the OPS motor is .90 cc, and the torque is massive. The thing with electrics is, like cars, you can always add more batteries. And with cats, only the last couple of inches rides on the plane. Mind you, everything has to be set up right. Truing up a propeller is so important, it's required. Trim up those tabs so the boat can handle the speed you desire. Once "on plane" there is very little friction on the hull which makes for incredible speed. I know you are aware of all this, but it brings great memories back to me just talking about it.
Ciao, David
I know about it, but have not driven one of these or tuned one yet (trim tabs, strut angle, turn fins, etc)
I look forward to it! Should be lots of fun and a good excuse to take the kids out to the lake.

More boat talk here if you want to continue the boat conversations: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/general-discussions-fast-rc-boat.40352/page-4

Anything new in the past two months?
Project was put on pause for a little bit.
I'll pick it back up soon when the weather gets cooler. I needed to raise some funds to repair my mill/lathe motor and materials for the body.
I have a solution for the $$ but will take about 2-3 months.

I also needed to enjoy RC driving for a little bit and have been playing with RC boats....
It was getting close 8+ months without driving anything and I got stir crazy!

Close.JPG

Last edited:
Project was put on pause for a little bit.
I'll pick it back up soon when the weather gets cooler. I needed to raise some funds to repair my mill/lathe motor and materials for the body.
I have a solution for the $$ but will take about 2-3 months.

I also needed to enjoy RC driving for a little bit and have been playing with RC boats....
It was getting close 8+ months without driving anything and I got stir crazy!

View attachment 169597
I'm finding your testing of the XLX2 fascinating. I never realized a car ESC could take the abuse that a boat dishes out with out water cooling. I've been following the thread over on OSE.

Last edited:
I'm finding your testing of the XLX2 fascinating. I never realized a car ESC could take the abuse that a boat dishes out with out water cooling. I've been following the thread over on OSE.
Yeah that is a tuff crowd there on the OSE forum. I suppose I have not earned their respect yet...
It has run very cool so far. Significantly cooler than the watercooled seaking esc.

So cool! And a little sad to hear it will be your final build. I do hope it results in new RC world record

ps. Any chance you used https://airshaper.com to validate your aerodynamics? They have really improved a lot since the last time i used it.
It will be the new R/C world record. I am betting on the third run.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back