Limitless LibertyMkiii's crazy belt drive car project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How viable is the flipped body for use now? Looked like it took the crash like a champ.

Yeah we spoke about that also. I advised for him to try wet sanding it with some 600 grit and see how it looks.
Overall no breaks/cracks etc. Just the scuffs on the nose. Pretty amazing for around 160 mph

While I hope the belt never breaks I need to protect the expensive electronic parts from it.
The battery holder will sever a few functions. It will connect the lower chassis to the upper chassis making it very rigid. It will also provide a safe passthrough spot where wiring can cross the center of the belt.

Saga custom RC makes the universal battery strap blocks. You can see I already cut on this V1 3d print for the battery wire location.

v1 batt holders.PNG

Top view of belt channel

top view.PNG

Pass through channel through the middle of the belt path. It passes on QS8 connector and the ESC to RX wire.

pass through slot.PNG

I have started designing a V2 that carries the servo wire from the front to the RX. Also the cut outs are setup for the battery wire.
Just waiting on some more filament from Amazon 🥱

While I hope the belt never breaks I need to protect the expensive electronic parts from it.
The battery holder will sever a few functions. It will connect the lower chassis to the upper chassis making it very rigid. It will also provide a safe passthrough spot where wiring can cross the center of the belt.

Saga custom RC makes the universal battery strap blocks. You can see I already cut on this V1 3d print for the battery wire location.

View attachment 206660

Top view of belt channel

View attachment 206661

Pass through channel through the middle of the belt path. It passes on QS8 connector and the ESC to RX wire.

View attachment 206663

I have started designing a V2 that carries the servo wire from the front to the RX. Also the cut outs are setup for the battery wire.
Just waiting on some more filament from Amazon 🥱
Great work as usual Liberty, super clean.. I like the QS8 connector passing through the mount, a clever and efficient use of space.. That's the kind of thing I like. Also why I like Raz's builds so much.
Just a thought, it looks like the first thing the belt would touch is the motor, if its moving around at speed. It wouldn't be a problem for the motor but would wear the belt I'm sure. Maybe print some sort of belt tensioner that would mount somewhere at midpoint, to keep it from moving.. It might not be necessary, is the belt about 5 or 6mm from the motor? hard to tell from the pic

Great work as usual Liberty, super clean.. I like the QS8 connector passing through the mount, a clever and efficient use of space.. That's the kind of thing I like. Also why I like Raz's builds so much.
Just a thought, it looks like the first thing the belt would touch is the motor, if its moving around at speed. It wouldn't be a problem for the motor but would wear the belt I'm sure. Maybe print some sort of belt tensioner that would mount somewhere at midpoint, to keep it from moving.. It might not be necessary, is the belt about 5 or 6mm from the motor? hard to tell from the pic
Thanks man!
Those picture angles are a bit misleading. Plenty of space on either side of the motor for the belt to move around.
I do have a tensioner/guide that installs on the upper chassis in the middle of the batteries not shown in these pics.

Finally got clear coat on the body. It is not perfect and I don't really care, it looks good from 5 feet away.
Ultimately it serves a function and I didn't care to invest more time in making the paint perfect.

Finished.PNG

As an update still waiting on Amazon for 3d print filament and trying to get my front axle correct. The first attempt the drilled holes for the pins were not perfectly centered which caused a wobble :mad:

Finally got clear coat on the body. It is not perfect and I don't really care, it looks good from 5 feet away.
Ultimately it serves a function and I didn't care to invest more time in making the paint perfect.

View attachment 208125

As an update still waiting on Amazon for 3d print filament and trying to get my front axle correct. The first attempt the drilled holes for the pins were not perfectly centered which caused a wobble :mad:

That's surprising..
When there's a Massive Amazon Fulfillment Center (DDX2) just down the street... < 5 minutes away?

Nice job on the body! 😎👍

That's surprising..
When there's a Massive Amazon Fulfillment Center (DDX2) just down the street... < 5 minutes away?

Nice job on the body! 😎👍
Yeah I have never had to wait this long on Hatchbox PLA on prime. Must be "THE COVID" o_O

Have you tried eSUN PLA Pro (aka PLA + )?
My printer is very sensitive when trying other materials. It works really well with PLA so I have not ventured off the path.
The strength of PLA seems to always be fine for what I am doing also...

Maybe one day I'll give it a try.

Yeah I have never had to wait this long on Hatchbox PLA on prime. Must be "THE COVID" o_O
It’s literally the ZERO Covid policy of some nations. It’s not really realistic to think we can get to zero cases. It shouldn’t ever be a policy let alone a goal.

Trying to make the front axle again :banghead::banghead:
Broke a few more bits...
20220401_190942.jpg

Tried this method that is supposed to make you drill a straight center hole.
It didn't 😡
20220401_190645.jpg

I think next steps is to have a machine shop do this for me....

The mugen pin tool is amazing though. It does a great job of installing the pins.

Trying to make the front axle again :banghead::banghead:
Broke a few more bits...
View attachment 209735

Tried this method that is supposed to make you drill a straight center hole.
It didn't 😡
View attachment 209736

I think next steps is to have a machine shop do this for me....

The mugen pin tool is amazing though. It does a great job of installing the pins.

Are you trying to drill holes into that rod?
You need to apply some oil as you are drilling..

Are you trying to drill holes into that rod?
You need to apply some oil as you are drilling..
Yeah I use oil but the case hardened chromoly is tuff stuff.
I got the holes through but they are yet again not straight.

I see..

You might want to give the machine shop at Collin College (the brand new campus in Allen) a call or swing by there and chat with the shop manager to see if someone there be willing to give you a hand in tapping those holes.
I'll PM you their address.

I want to protect the servo wires where they pass by the front axle and pulley. I worried about a possible issue, and losing steering mid run would be catastrophic!

After a few revisions I got this servo wire protector dialed the way I want it with a snug fit.
I just might sell these on eBay as I could see others wanting to use something like this....

1649173132736.png

I want to protect the servo wires where they pass by the front axle and pulley. I worried about a possible issue, and losing steering mid run would be catastrophic!

After a few revisions I got this servo wire protector dialed the way I want it with a snug fit.
I just might sell these on eBay as I could see others wanting to use something like this....

View attachment 210343

Something like this fitted to specific cars like the Kraton would be great. My servo wires do get a little eaten up over time and my brain always tells me its going to get wrapped around the front driveshaft even though I know it wont. Plus, over organizing things gives me dopamine

Something like this fitted to specific cars like the Kraton would be great. My servo wires do get a little eaten up over time and my brain always tells me its going to get wrapped around the front driveshaft even though I know it wont. Plus, over organizing things gives me dopamine

Yep my Kraton 6s is where I see the wires getting close to a dog bone. I'll have to see if this fits.
I plan to revise the design a little as it could be more slim still.

I tried a few things lately and still fought with shafts a few more times. I attempted using a tool from Big Gator Tools. Happy to report the axle shaft finally has pins installed that I am happy with.

The "33" hole in this tool fit my 2.9 mm bit perfectly.
It is hard to see but the tool has a V cut into the bottom that makes the rod perfectly centered.

1652989042608.png

After getting them drilled I rounded the ends with the rod in the drill press and using and angle grinder on it as it spun. Then finished it smooth with sand paper while spinning in the drill press.

The Mugen pin tool is really great and highly recommended.

1652989187580.png

1652988996509.png

While this is great, I discovered my initial measurements were off by about 2-3mm and the axle is not centered into the hub. This creates a wobble in the front axle that must be addressed. I am attempting to modify the bearing location in the front aluminum bearing holder blocks. If that fails I would have to get those pieces re-cut at the CNC shop (it appears my CNC guy closed shop :( ).

I tried a few things lately and still fought with shafts a few more times. I attempted using a tool from Big Gator Tools. Happy to report the axle shaft finally has pins installed that I am happy with.

The "33" hole in this tool fit my 2.9 mm bit perfectly.
It is hard to see but the tool has a V cut into the bottom that makes the rod perfectly centered.

View attachment 218611

After getting them drilled I rounded the ends with the rod in the drill press and using and angle grinder on it as it spun. Then finished it smooth with sand paper while spinning in the drill press.

The Mugen pin tool is really great and highly recommended.

View attachment 218612

View attachment 218610

While this is great, I discovered my initial measurements were off by about 2-3mm and the axle is not centered into the hub. This creates a wobble in the front axle that must be addressed. I am attempting to modify the bearing location in the front aluminum bearing holder blocks. If that fails I would have to get those pieces re-cut at the CNC shop (it appears my CNC guy closed shop :( ).

Is THAT why I haven't gotten a call back from them...?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back