Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I'm still tinkering.... lining up the drive line. Wish I had a small milling machine! :)
typhonspeed.jpg

Tried foams this morning. My great roads are 1 hour away from home.
Trying to line up time to go and good weather is nearly impossible. Considering I cannot get the cars to hook up on foams like GRPs and the speeds I wanted to go I am calling it quits on speedrunning. BUT!!!!!!!!!! I will continue to make cars and bodies for the hobby.
The 4tec 2.0 project will continue along with the carbon bodies production.

On 4s I couldnt seem to get above 80mph without the car loosing traction. On this run it fishtailed just as I was getting closer to my position on the road. I got it straightened back out and applied the throttle again and it got sideways and went off the road. With GRPs it just hooks and goes! Knowing this car is bound for 150+ speeds foams are the only option. Untill there is a good rubber tire suitable for those speeds I will only be making projects and producing parts for the speed side of the hobby.
This Typhon 6s is going back into a park Basher

1591468184470.png

That stinks dude! It is an awesome speed runner for sure! Finding roads is rough. I’m still trying to find something. There are plenty of roads but they are busy and full of people.

Oh man that stinks! I was really close to buying some foams too. Glad I just settled for some more GRPs. Hope you have a change of heart after the sting wears off. ?

You know back when I raced 1/10th pan cars in the 90s we used foams. We had to put dope all over them to get them to stick and we used sun block of all things.

Oh man that stinks! I was really close to buying some foams too. Glad I just settled for some more GRPs. Hope you have a change of heart after the sting wears off. ?

I think the initial sting has worn off. I am still going to mess with speed runs. Just really frustrated with the traction available with foams....
My recommendation would be to try it on some lower power level like 4s and if it is getting loose then abandon the runs and make changes to the car. Mine was loosing traction at any speeds above 80mph. It seemed to be only the rear. Looking at my streamliner body shape that seems logical, the front nose has tons of downforce, but the rear has none. I just never expected this behavior to be so extreme given how great it drove on GRPs. Next time around I will add a rear wing and probably go way overboard with downforce. Get some clean runs in and then dial back the downforce. Also going to remove the silly puddy in the diffs and try 500k or 1 million fluid next go around.

You know back when I raced 1/10th pan cars in the 90s we used foams. We had to put dope all over them to get them to stick and we used sun block of all things.

I had heard about using sun block. My concern with those treatments to the foam is that it might pickup too much dirt/dust/rocks but I certainly will give it a shot.

For right now I am going to focus on getting the 4Tec 2.0 finished up. That car seems to have great potential. Plus the long wheelbase should be good for straight line stability.

I am generally very surprised how well mine runs under power. Other than the blown tire and other driveline damage in my last crash, it handles best under power. I’ve never had a hint of loss of control, even at 130mph. I usually have to drive it early in the pass, but at about 1/4 throttle it just hooks and goes straight. I’m unable to explain why, but if you were to be here and make a pass with it, you would probably be surprised too. It makes me look real good ???‍♂️

I am generally very surprised how well mine runs under power. Other than the blown tire and other driveline damage in my last crash, it handles best under power. I’ve never had a hint of loss of control, even at 130mph. I usually have to drive it early in the pass, but at about 1/4 throttle it just hooks and goes straight. I’m unable to explain why, but if you were to be here and make a pass with it, you would probably be surprised too. It makes me look real good ???‍♂️
On GRPs mine never had an ounce of wheel spin and drove straight as an arrow. This was a polar opposite on BSR Foams. The car had zero changes other than the wheels/tires. Hopefully you can stay on GRPs to reach your goals.

It sucks that foams are the only option with the 4tec 2.0

To add insult to injury the 1/8 and 1/7 body mold got ruined on Saturday. It was a bad day...
I was moving some things around in the garage (trying to juggle woodworking and RC car work spaces.)
I moved the 3D printed and primed plug for the mold out into the Texas heat and it did not like that. I knew PLA melts around 190 C which is around 375 degrees F. I assumed it would be ok at anything below 200 F. and boy was I wrong.
20200609_111746.jpg

The good news I didn't fully love that design and now have one that I like better. Starting over again probably 20+ hours of labor wasted, but Im OK with that. This new 3d Print / CAD Design is much more like the Unlimited design with smooth curves.

1591719295567.png

1591719331844.png

This time I am not printing a Shell of the body as I found it wants to flex and move around too much. I did it as a solid object with a very minimal 5% infill which looks very cool!
20200609_111644.jpg

First 2 prints (30 hours each) are done. I am very happy with the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Next to the Unlimited mold body:
side Capture.JPG

The line you see mid way up the right side was a power outage and resume print moment :mad:
2Capture.JPG

My Typhon has Senton arms which are a bit shorter in length. Regular Limitless/Typhon/Infraction arms would place the wheels a little closer to the body edge.
3Capture.JPG

Glad you didn't throw in the towel, this is my favorite thread.
Thanks man!
I don't know what I'd do without this hobby... Cant give up yet!
I am switching back to GRP Rubber tires and see how that goes for a while.

I'll repair my speed body later when I have some resin mixed up. For now I am going to run it as an open wheel buggy. I designed and printed a wing for the car. It is a real airfoil with some negative camber. The chord is long but overall I like it alot! It fits the stock mount very snug. The factory angle of attack on the mount meant I didn't need a crazy aggressive wing.
20200614_082313.jpg

20200614_082340.jpg

The Orange compliments the blue body, and should help significantly with visibility!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back