Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched that earlier @LibertyMKiii as I've subbed and turned on notifications to Raz's videos purely to see how your CF shell does. ;)

Was great to see it getting some proper numbers and a proper run. :cool:
Thanks for the support man! It is great to see it finally running at respectable speeds.
I have such a hard time driving on foams. I couldn't imagine trying to put down that much power. I am still not convinced that a dual motor setup is the way to go, but time will tell. Glad he is doing the crash testing R&D with his money and not me :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the support man! It is great to see it finally running at respectable speeds.
I have such a hard time driving on foams. I couldn't imagine trying to put down that much power. I am still not convinced that a dual motor setup is the way to go, but time will tell. Glad he is doing the crash testing R&D with his money and not me :ROFLMAO:
I've not a lot of experience driving on foams really but they seem to be a bit hit & miss depending on manufacturer as the shore hardness ratings vary from what they claim to be.

I tested several sets I had last year from SP Racing in 1/10th scale and 1/8th ~ some of the worst of them were 8-10 shore hardness away from what they claimed to be. Whether that would be enough to upset handling I doubt it but if that variation was between front and rear or even left to right it could definitely effect the handling of a vehicle.
Just like in real scale when you have mis-matched tyres on the same axle or front to rear that can effect acceleration, grip and braking performance.

I'm running SP Racing 50shore tyres on my Limitless and first test runs were good. Just need this lockdown that we're under to finish and some good weather before I can get out to try it again. Might not be for a good while unfortunately.

Finally have everything ready to run in the stretched 4tec 2.0
Tons of room to run larger batteries later. These are 6400 mAh 2s packs.
The motor is a TP4050 which it could fit any 40mm motor in there. For now the setup is light weight and going to start it out on 4s.
Without batteries it weighs in at 5 lbs 3 oz.

Finished RTR Capture.JPG

18in WheelBase Capture.JPG

I wont run the car till I have a body to protect it!

You know those old magic tricks where the magician cuts the assistant in half?
Well something like that....

CutCapture.JPG

Cut 2 Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Finally started working on this project again. Added some body filler on the streamliner body and have been working to get it ready for the mold making process.

Also began a re-design of the 1/8 and 1/7 scale streamliner. This one will have a more blunt nose like I am doing on the 1/10 scale. The nose will be 120mm shorter, which is a plus.
Waiting on some 3d Printer filament to come in to begin that one but already broke the old nose off the original positive that was used to make the mold.

View attachment 114507

View attachment 114508

As a follow up to my previous post I finished the positive for making the next 1/7 mold. I fought with a few spots and had to do many applications of body filler, sanding, primer, etc...

plug.JPG

Next came PVA mold release spray.
Followed by a few layers of gelcoat, and then several layers of chopped strand fiberglass.

Capture.JPG

De-molding this one was harder than some others I had done in the past due to adding more gelcoat and fiberglass layers. (less flex)

The finished result is.... well.... just ok. While the molds flat top surface is good the sides are riddled with a defect in the gelcoat called "alligators" or "alligatoring" I have had this before on all of my molds but never quite this much. Now the task is to scratch them up and fill them in with gell coat, then sand it back smooth and polish. At that point I can make a 1/7 scale carbon body from this one.

demolded.JPG

aligators.JPG

Hopefully in about 2 weeks time I can have the mold polished up and ready to start working with the Carbon fiber!

Last edited:
As a follow up to my previous post I finished the positive for making the mold. I fought with a few spots and had to do many applications of body filler, sanding, primer, etc...

View attachment 122564

Next came PVA mold release spray.
Followed by a few layers of gelcoat, and then several layers of chopped strand fiberglass.

View attachment 122565

De-molding this one was harder than some others I had done in the past due to adding more gelcoat and fiberglass layers. (less flex)

The finished result is.... well.... just ok. While the molds flat top surface is good the sides are riddled with a defect in the gelcoat called "alligators" or "alligatoring" I have had this before on all of my molds but never quite this much. Now the task is to scratch them up and fill them in with gell coat, then sand it back smooth and polish. At that point I can make a 1/7 scale carbon body from this one.

View attachment 122566

View attachment 122567

Hopefully in about 2 weeks time I can have the mold polished up and ready to start working with the Carbon fiber!
Are these the exact same steps you took for Raz's build?

In Raz his last video it seems like he's gonna give up on the project. It's all up to your 4tec now.

His double motor/ESC/battery setup is just not weight efficient. Good aero makes much more sense on low weight. Your 2.3kg (excluding your future carbon reversed speedboat) is gonna be a rocket with less stress on the drivetrains. It has much more potential to hit ludicrous speed.

Appreciate the work that goes into one of these, very, very nice. Always cool to watch the process as it unfolds. :love: Have you thought of kevlar for a truly bulletproof build? :ROFLMAO:
Thanks man, its lots of labor more than anything. Once the mold is all polished up there is still lots to do sadly. That carbon body took a serious hit at over 100mph with a 18+ lbs car! Pretty impressed with its strength to be honest...

In Raz his last video it seems like he's gonna give up on the project. It's all up to your 4tec now.

His double motor/ESC/battery setup is just not weight efficient. Good aero makes much more sense on low weight. Your 2.3kg (excluding your future carbon reversed speedboat) is gonna be a rocket with less stress on the drivetrains. It has much more potential to hit ludicrous speed.

Yep 30hp will never work out in an RC car. Even if the drive shafts could hold up the tires wont provide enough grip to use it...

I agree the 4tec size aerodynamically has significantly more potential if I can keep the CVDs in one piece under power.

I actually have begun on a new project that is fully custom/hand made specific for setting a record. It is taking everything I have in me to hold back on spilling the beans on this project! Plus I got access to a 4000' airstrip to actually use one of my crazy creations 🔥

Last edited:
It has been a crazy week. Sunday around 2am power went out and we finally got electricity and water back Tuesday evening. Here in the South (Texas) we don't seem to have the power grid to support -1 F. temperatures and lots of snow/ice.

Update on the new 1/7 mold and carbon fiber body:
After 2 previous failed attempts I finally got a good body out of the new 1/7 scale mold.
Now needs finishing work, trimming, and clear coat.

Loving the look of this new shape!

Fresh out of the mold Capture.JPG

Good news and bad news.

Good news is that I have a solid plan that I know is capable of going up around 200 mph (maybe more).
Bad news is that this project thread is now done. I am selling off the 4tec and Limitless.

I'll be starting on building a fully custom car beginning later today doing some 3d printed mock ups. This new build is belt drive and similar to what Nic Case built years ago (already proven to 202 mph)

I am not certain how much I'll document/show online, but leaning towards showing the whole build because I enjoy sharing with the community.

Nice, cant wait to see what you come up with LibertyMKiii. I really like your approach to creating new projects, this sounds like its going to be a game changer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back