Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing major... work has been very busy this week. While I was busy working the 3D printer was slaving away. Each front piece was 27 hours and each rear piece was 35 hours.
There was some warping and serious need of sanding. Much work to do still:
View attachment 73318
View attachment 73320

This body is made to fit most all 1/8 scale cars, and my next 2 prints are extensions of the body to make it accommodate the Limitless infraction long wheelbase. It is pretty clear this is not as slim as my previous body. One of those side effects of the one-size fits all body.

Work will start on the 4tec body soon.
Nice work!
With the wide body you can omit the wheel openings, 3 point turns at each end of the run.

Last edited:
Took the Typhon out to test after getting things sorted out. This was on 4s with them in storage mode voltage and LVC turned off on the ESC. Never hit top speed, but ran smooth and worked great. I am ready to make a 100mph test and then move up to the big leagues!

wicked stuff liberty........

Is the "4Tec" power system the one Traxxas' use in the car with the newest Ford GT body on it? I've heard really good things about it.
Yes sir it comes in most of the traxxas cars. It's a 2-3s esc with a 3500kv motor.
20200405_192839.jpg

Looked today at what I could do with the original chassis. Could do 3s lipos on either side for sure.
These in the pic are 2s lipos.

My 4s 6000mAh packs were too big.
20200406_112145.jpg

Simple cardboard template cutouts and I keep painters tape over my foam tires to keep them from drying out.

Looked today at what I could do with the original chassis. Could do 3s lipos on either side for sure.
These in the pic are 2s lipos.

My 4s 6000mAh packs were too big.
View attachment 73517

Simple cardboard template cutouts and I keep painters tape over my foam tires to keep them from drying out.
Very cool! I’m always excited to see when your thread is updated.

Very cool! I’m always excited to see when your thread is updated.

Thanks man! A sheet of 3mm carbon fiber arrives next week.
Currently the 3D printer is running day and night for COVID-19 ear savers (See my other post in the 3d print build section of the forum)

Otherwise I was ready to start a body 3D print for the 4tec 2.0
(Maybe my wife will OK the purchase of a second printer :ROFLMAO: )

Are the mechanical (not software) settings that much different between types of filament?
The extruder is a different optimal setup. You want a direct drive for flexible filaments to shorten the distance from the stepper motor to the hot end.

But this puts more weight on the moving hot end, which reduces overall print quality. So for normal filaments, you go with a bowden tube to locate the extruder stepper to the frame, away from moving parts. This makes the hot end lighter and more accurate.

The extruder is a different optimal setup. You want a direct drive for flexible filaments to shorten the distance from the stepper motor to the hot end.

But this puts more weight on the moving hot end, which reduces overall print quality. So for normal filaments, you go with a bowden tube to locate the extruder stepper to the frame, away from moving parts. This makes the hot end lighter and more accurate.

Thanks for the explanation. While I have a fairly good idea how the printers work (I did a bunch of stepper-motor control stuff), I don't have one, and have never had my hands on one.

I have much, much more to learn before I pop for a decent printer...

Maybe I can print toilet paper with the wood fiber filament? lol :ROFLMAO:

I think my printer needs a lot of tuning and calibration to meet others standards. I know the bed has some high and low spots, but the work I am doing can be a little rough and still be good. My RC streamliner body prints are all going to be sanded, primed, and then used to make a mold.

Hate to say it on an Arrma forum but 4tec's and Slashes are hard to beat.
I keep hearing the same.... They are very light, but don't hit anything, they are not Arrma Tough.:ROFLMAO:

I keep hearing the same.... They are very light, but don't hit anything, they are not Arrma Tough.:ROFLMAO:
Couldn't agree more. My Typhon hit a road reflector at 90ish mph and did cartwheels for over 1/8 mile. Only broke a rear wheel hub and trashed the tires/wheels. A Traxxas rig wouldn't come out of that scenario alive.

I was looking at the Tekno drive train parts for the T cars. 6 mm drive shafts to handle those beer can sized motors.
TKR6852X rear
TKR6851X front

Went scouting for a good road today. First 4 roads were junk, but happened to find one that was decent. Surprisingly it is concrete, but still smooth enough. I made a few passes with the car and got it tracking straight at 80, then 103, and then after a cool down "went for it" Ultimately I didn't start far enough back and never reached full throttle. New PB for me at 119 mph!
Seconds after stopping the recording on my phone I scanned the motor and ESC which both were only 10 degrees above ambient. I need to re-test and find the max speed for this modest gearing, but appears based on heat that I could gear up some.

(that is a police officer watching)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back