Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went scouting for a good road today. First 4 roads were junk, but happened to find one that was decent. Surprisingly it is concrete, but still smooth enough. I made a few passes with the car and got it tracking straight at 80, then 103, and then after a cool down "went for it" Ultimately I didn't start far enough back and never reached full throttle. New PB for me at 119 mph!
Seconds after stopping the recording on my phone I scanned the motor and ESC which both were only 10 degrees above ambient. I need to re-test and find the max speed for this modest gearing, but appears based on heat that I could gear up some.

(that is a police officer watching)
Way to go man! Glad you found a spot.

I had the opposite experience today. I guess I’ve wore out my country road welcome and was told in no uncertain terms that the next time my car was in the road, the homeowner down the street likely would be pulling out into the road that very second. She then parked her F-250 at the end of her driveway until I packed up and left. Time to find another road.

I had the opposite experience today. I guess I’ve wore out my country road welcome and was told in no uncertain terms that the next time my car was in the road, the homeowner down the street likely would be pulling out into the road that very second. She then parked her F-250 at the end of her driveway until I packed up and left. Time to find another road.
Yeesh, I don't understand why people are like that...
I hope you find a new spot!

Yeesh, I don't understand why people are like that...
I hope you find a new spot!
The next week is gonna be bad weather anyways, so I got time.

I looked for a place to run today, the problem is the police are fining people now for not having a legit reason to be out. All of the good asphalt is patrolled :( I'm thinking of running the fastest gravel run. It's not easy to keep the Typhon full open on the gravel road.

I looked for a place to run today, the problem is the police are fining people now for not having a legit reason to be out. All of the good asphalt is patrolled :(
Yeah they aren’t that extreme here in NW Ohio, but I bet they could use that as an excuse if you act like an ass and piss them off. I don’t like fueling the fire when it comes to LEO. Be smart and be nice. They will usually repay the favor. ✌???

With the airlines struggling you may be able to rent a runway pretty cheap. :rolleyes:

We've got rain and snow forecast for this weekend, so right about the time I get my MM2 and new wiring in the Limitless, I won't be able to take it out...

Got my new "Chassis Plate" to use for setting up the suspension. Now I have to tear the workbench apart to get it on the benchtop!

Yeah they aren’t that extreme here in NW Ohio, but I bet they could use that as an excuse if you act like an ass and piss them off. I don’t like fueling the fire when it comes to LEO. Be smart and be nice. They will usually repay the favor. ✌???
We have snitch lines that are over whelmed, people peeping through the blinds! I experienced it just trying to bring my sons some food on Sunday. It's not just us hobbyists that are crazy.

Stupid woman, ...even more so because after all, you know where she lives if you were a vindictive man.

Hope you find another spot soon enough.
I've not actually done any runs in months because I am following the rules of the UK lock down. No sense running the risk of driving my real car unnecessarily and possibly getting in an accident which could lead me to be in hospital where I'd put a stain on the health service or worse still catch the virus in the hospital. Stay safe everyone.

@LibertyMKiii congrats on your new PB. Fantastic run for that motor and looks like a good spot. (y)

Stupid woman, ...even more so because after all, you know where she lives if you were a vindictive man.

I've not actually done any runs in months because I am following the rules of the UK lock down. No sense running the risk of driving my real car unnecessarily and possibly getting in an accident which could lead me to be in hospital where I'd put a stain on the health service or worse still catch the virus in the hospital. Stay safe everyone.

@LibertyMKiii congrats on your new PB. Fantastic run for that motor and looks like a good spot. (y)
Thanks for the idea ? ???✌?✌? It didn’t occur to me to retaliate but you made a great point.

Thanks for the idea ? ???✌?✌? It didn’t occur to me to retaliate but you made a great point.
tumblr_a3d0720d1f04dc1cb779a89d82ec8c65_30ba3d17_500.gif

:LOL:

Thanks man, I did run a risk going out to make this run... I heard the police will pull you over and ticket you for going out for anything other than work or groceries.

We are supposed to have 7 days of rain and my excuse (to myself) was going out to a nearly abandoned road shouldn't hurt anyone. I'm glad that police officer in the parking lot was cool about it. :love:

Somehow going 119 mph was not as exciting as I thought it would be. I need to get in a full throttle pass and maybe i'd be more satisfied. I just know its got another 10mph in it with this gearing....

thats rude. She doesn’t own the road. I’d set up shop right next to her house and do nothing just to make her mad.

Something is wacky with the data logs. With my gearing and GRP tires there is no way that 119mph and 41k rpms occurred.
Also doubting the BLX 2050kv motor was pulling 7,942 watts (10 horsepower)

Typhon 119mph 8s Capture.PNG

The Ripple voltage is high so its time to build a cap pack for this one!!!

Something is wacky with the data logs. With my gearing and GRP tires there is no way that 119mph and 41k rpms occurred.
Also doubting the BLX 2050kv motor was pulling 7,942 watts (10 horsepower)

View attachment 73804

The Ripple voltage is high so its time to build a cap pack for this one!!!

Is this the type of data I can collect from my MM2 using my Castle programming card?

Which reminds me....I have to get that software from Castle and get it installed on my dedicated "RC Cars" laptop.

Last edited:
Is this the type of data I can collect from my MM2 using my Castle programming card?

Which reminds me....I have to get that software from Castle and get it installed on my dedicated "RC Cars" laptop.
Sadly the MM2 is one of the few high power Castle ESCs that does not have data logging.
There is some more detailed tuning available in the castle link versus what you can do with radio programming.

I am comparing speedruns when people used a 2200kv motor and my 41k rpms might be correct, but the GPS didn't have enough time to pick up the speed. It likely was going faster than 119mph.
Only way to tell will be to run again and stay at top speed for longer. :cry:

Either way I think it needs a little bit more gearing as 41k is falling out of my theory's torque band. These are not official facts and I have not proved them, but we all know electric motors produce their power in the low rpms and then fall off. I suspect the magic range is between 32k and 39k rpms.

rpm theory Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Geez...I gotta get moving on my Limitless. You guys are running at double my speed!
I'm sure that was a joke but friendly bit of advice is that I wouldn't ever worry what others are getting speed wise, ...just enjoy beating your own PB's and getting progressively faster. ;)

I'm sure that was a joke but friendly bit of advice is that I wouldn't ever worry what others are getting speed wise, ...just enjoy beating your own PB's and getting progressively faster. ;)
Agreed and @drjim we would be happy to answer any questions you have along the way. Although going fast sounds simple it is anything but that...
There is much to learn in the world of speed if you want to go down the rabbit hole.

HAH! Yeah, pretty much joking. BUT....it gives me a target to shoot for.
Agreed and @drjim we would be happy to answer any questions you have along the way. Although going fast sounds simple it is anything but that...
There is much to learn in the world of speed if you want to go down the rabbit hole.

I've headed down that rabbit hole, for sure. This aspect of RC has really got me hooked. I raced 1:1 scale cars back in the 70's and 80's (Chicago Region SCCA) and was fairly competent at 1/10th on-road nitro in the 90's, but this is something else.

This is Pure SPEED.....

And the whole community here has answered my questions, helped me understand things, and given me excellent advice.

And I'm totally grateful for all the tips!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back