Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Alrighty then!
Most of you likely know about my Unlimited stretched carbon fiber chassis Limitless project. I have recently sold that project to fund my next ventures!!!!
The largest chunk was a Creality CR10s Pro 3D printer.

There will be 2 builds going on at the same time and I figure I'll capture both in this thread as they will be developed in the same steps at the same time. The Arrma Typhon 6s is well under way and the other is the 4Tec 2.0 from Traxxas. Ultimately the 4Tec 2.0 is going to go faster simply due to aerodynamics. More on this later!

The Typhon 6s started as a cheap fun toy that I purchased on the OfferUp app for $200.00 USD. With GRP 1/8 tires and a Hot Racing Spool using a 34T spur and 29T pinion the car peaked at 94.5 mph (on the original BLX system). Additional gearing of 34/31 and 34/34 netted more heat but no additional speed (this was due to amp limiting of the factory ESC). Not bad for a used car with tired bearings and some significant wear!

I chose to continue with the Typhon 6s and not the Unlimited project because a chassis for the Typhon 6s runs $9.00 plus shipping on eBay versus 300+ for the carbon one I made for the Unlimited. Ultimately the aerodynamics of the body will make this car achieve great speeds! I can tell you that crashes happen with speed runs. They happen often, and at 100+ they are violent!

The Typhon has Senton 6s arms and axles that reduce the width by 20mm, however I likely will change back at some point as I am developing bodies to fit the average car so they can be sold. This car also has the Limitless Shocks and towers which are simply amazing for on-road speed uses!!!!!!

Typhon setup Capture.JPG

At the moment the Typhon 6s has a fiberglass body cast from the same mold as the Unlimited project (but cut shorter)
This is how it looks currently, but I plan on changing up the paint:
Front Capture.JPG

I have many parts on the way for this car including the Mamba Monster X 8s esc. I plan to run the factory BLX 2050kv motor till it gets maxed out. Many people will be surprised to see this motor can take this car north of 130mph!

I plan to design some new bodies utilizing the 3D printer to build the mold. This will allow me to create new fiberglass and carbon fiber bodies that are perfectly symmetrical. There was plenty of human error with the Unlimited project.

Here are some of the designs:

V1 (very similar to the Unlimited body and the current body on the Typhon)
8th gt unlimited style render Capture.JPG

V2 (Stronger center cut out section, reducing aerodynamic frontal area at the expense of tight clearances and limited space for electronics)
V2Capture.JPG

V3 (full on streamliner still in development) (I have left construction lines for the wheels and bumper so you can see just how long the nose is!)
V3 Capture.JPG

More to come!

That V2 seems like it would be the stiffest of the lot. Those 90 degree bends really take all the flex out of the material, which could reduce the layers needed as well as weight, if that even matters.

I did my first testing on the MMX8s yesterday and really like it so far.
A feature that I use for speedruns is the drag brake. If you are not familiar with this feature, basically it applies the brake once you let off the throttle. As you could imagine a scenario where you are doing 100 + and potentially have radio reception lost, this would be a life saver!

There is a new feature in the MMX8s that in addition to applying the brake at a set point like 30,40,50,60% it now has a setting to start soft on the brakes and then ramp up. I really am liking this feature so far! It seems to allow you to set the drag brake at a higher level and still have controlled braking due to the soft initial application of the brakes. Not sure if it has ABS like function when using a sensored motor, but I don't see why they couldn't pull that off.

I did my first testing on the MMX8s yesterday and really like it so far.
A feature that I use for speedruns is the drag brake. If you are not familiar with this feature, basically it applies the brake once you let off the throttle. As you could imagine a scenario where you are doing 100 + and potentially have radio reception lost, this would be a life saver!

There is a new feature in the MMX8s that in addition to applying the brake at a set point like 30,40,50,60% it now has a setting to start soft on the brakes and then ramp up. I really am liking this feature so far! It seems to allow you to set the drag brake at a higher level and still have controlled braking due to the soft initial application of the brakes. Not sure if it has ABS like function when using a sensored motor, but I don't see why they couldn't pull that off.
Nice! I set my failsafe on the 3PV to enable brakes. I just wish the BLX185 had more brake settings. I guess I will be moving on to the MM2R soon, so I can probably get some more brakes then. ??‍♂️

Nice! I set my failsafe on the 3PV to enable brakes. I just wish the BLX185 had more brake settings. I guess I will be moving on to the MM2R soon, so I can probably get some more brakes then. ??‍♂️
Yes you should be able to crank the brakes up significantly!
I highly recommend getting the castle link as you get much more control via the software compared to settings via the radio.

Yes you should be able to crank the brakes up significantly!
I highly recommend getting the castle link as you get much more control via the software compared to settings via the radio.
I have the Bluetooth and USB Castle Links. ✔

I really like those battery trays. Beats having to make them myself and probably failing a bunch while I’m at it! Lol! I’ve got them in my cart atm!
I really like them too. Perfectly placed cutouts probably helps the batteries cool as well.

I really like those battery trays. Beats having to make them myself and probably failing a bunch while I’m at it! Lol! I’ve got them in my cart atm!
I really like them too. Perfectly placed cutouts probably helps the batteries cool as well.
The emp trays are lighter than I had expected. One of the best features other than the multiple battery strap locations is the side body mount posts, which is a must on GT cars!

My only complaint is the angle is not correct coming off the main chassis. After bolting them on I bent them to be straight.

Like many others cooped up in the house due to COVID-19 I have had lots of time to work on the rc car.

Glued my GRPs with Bob Smith industries glue.
Balanced the GRPs. One had to be thrown out because it was so bad it could not be balanced. Even tried shaving some of the tire down on the heavy spot.

Started a 3D print to cover the gears and protect the wiring. Also printing a holder for the reciever to sit in a different location.

I still need to make some battery leads and it will be ready for some testing. We are supposed to have some 80's next week!
Hey @LibertyMKiii are those the senton arms that are mounted in this picture?
Yes they are. At some point I'll swap back to Typhon parts so I can develop the body that fits the 1/8 by cars plus the limitless/ infraction

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back