Typhon LibertyMKiii's Typhon GT streamliner and 4Tec 2.0 speed run projects

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hope is that my next run will provide some insights that I can share on gearing and RPM.

That efficiency curve image I shared and the ideal RPMs is controlled by specifics of your build. You have to first run the car and see what happens then adjust from there. This is where data logs of voltage and rpms are very important! Calculators only provide ball parks to help you get started with the process (and you take their values with 80% efficiency and use a calculator that allows voltage input. For example 6s after voltage drop is around 19 volts. My 8s run was around 27 volts at peak speed)

I know a solid recipe for a Limitless with on 6s for around 120mph.
MM2 ESC
34/34 gearing
castle 1515 2200kv motor.

Then comes radio range. @jondilly1974 has noted that his 3PV powered by a LiPo has range for days, but didn't work as good powered by regular AAs.... I opted to get an older 3PM that uses the FASST protocols (known for longer range) it is powered by a 3s LiPo and I see zero range issues. (no way I was going to use 8 AA batteries :ROFLMAO:

I have the big LiFePo for my 4PM, so I should be good-to-go.

If I need more range I'll stand on top of my Jeep!

It really helps you see down the road also! We were on top of my 4Runner during my last run.

If I were to drive with a stick radio, I would have control way beyond line of site. I'm considering it for speed runs as the inputs are minute and I'm use to flying stupid fast stuff in the air. Also the air radios are so much more configurable. I have the FrSky Taranis Q X7S Expo, dual rate, mixing, weighting, dead band, on and on. There is a thingiverse project to convert a Frsky qx7 ($105) into a surface radio. Now that would rock! Receivers are cheap with telemetry too.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2552696
1586468853043.png

Wonder how much an inexpensive "deer stand" costs these days.....
I brought an aluminum ladder with me not knowing the location and where I could park my car. Ultimately there was a small pull off spot that worked perfectly to use my car instead of the ladder.

It's good to be up high to see the vehicle and a better RF link to the vehicle. Most importantly, you won't get hit by a 9 lb + mass travelling at 150 mph+ (y)
Be careful guys! Gosh I see some of these speed runners on you tube standing on the road, getting hit by a vehicle travelling at speed can be very injurious, even fatal.

Last edited:
It's good to be up high to see the vehicle and a better RF link to the vehicle. Most importantly, you won't get hit by a 9 lb + mass travelling at 150 mph+ (y)
Be careful guys! Gosh I see some of these speed runners on you tube standing on the road, getting hit by a vehicle travelling at speed can be very injurious, even fatal.

Yep. Had a friend get clobbered by a Kyosho Vanning doing 45+, and it broke his shinbone!

I broke a big toe drifting my Typhon 3S around a parking lot. Thought I had the drifting down and the tires warmed up and hooked. Shot straight at me faster than I could jump. Probably was 45 mph tops. Can’t imagine over 100 mph. It wouldn’t be pretty, that’s for sure.

I started using the ladder for safety, the extended view was just a bonus!
If you noticed in the video my son was on top of the SUV shooting the video. I told him he either has to be on top of the SUV or inside. Not risking it...

I started using the ladder for safety, the extended view was just a bonus!
If you noticed in the video my son was on top of the SUV shooting the video. I told him he either has to be on top of the SUV or inside. Not risking it...
Good call! I fly drones and I always try to hide somewhere as not to fly into myself.

Same. :LOL:
Luckily the drone I flew into my own face was just a small one (a Drone X Pro).
I was flying an orbit around myself (in the goggles) with a 5 in and after a few circuits I got disoriented and flew it into my back lol. I saw it in real time from the goggles like VR but it became reality real fast! lol Lucky it was a cool day and had a jacket on, only a bruise.

I was flying an orbit around myself (in the goggles) with a 5 in and after a few circuits I got disoriented and flew it into my back lol. I saw it in real time from the goggles like VR but it became reality real fast! lol Lucky it was a cool day and had a jacket on, only a bruise.
@JQFPV
I've had a few drones/quadcopters with my best one being a Hubsan X4 Pro.
08.jpg

I sold that though to fund other things as I was finding it increasingly difficult to find safe/legal areas to fly it especially as I loved doing high altitude flights.

Once I'd sold it though I did miss flying so I bought this cheap eBay X Pro folding drone to fly for fun. I was flying it around my garden which is quite small and just made a mistake when turning, ...it came right at me and I just powered down into my face. :LOL:

The way it felt when it hit me I was sure the rotor blades had lacerated me but no there was no blood and just red marks. Embarrassing though. :giggle:

Sorry to de-rail the topic... ;)

Yesterday I was thinking on how I'd like to make a capacitor pack and also utilize the 3D printer. I began designing last night and had a finished product 24 hours later!

The setup is 12 Panasonic FM series capacitors. 35v 1800uF each. (21,600uF total)
The overall size is reasonable compact for housing this amount of capacitance.

20200411_213626.jpg

20200411_200907.jpg

20200411_212450.jpg

My 3mm carbon fiber plate finally showed up o_O

Going with the measure 3x and cut the $100 sheet once rule.... I decided to 3d print a template and test fit it. SOOOOOO glad I did! Some of my measurements were off by 2mm everywhere you see red.

20200415_214812.jpg

20200415_214021.jpg

Some final tweaks needed, but this 18" wheelbase 4tec 2.0 is looking good!!!

Transferred to tape on top of the carbon fiber.
20200416_094250.jpg

Cut with my jigsaw and Bosch carbon fiber cutting blade.

20200416_132046.jpg

Very happy with the results!
I can't wait to get the body started, but first I need to machine some bearing carriers for the shafts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back