Liberty's high speed RC OutRigger boat build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about using carbon fiber?
Yes, I have some and often do use CF, but I really like fiberglass because of how it turns clear, which allows you to see that the material has no air bubbles behind it.
Also carbon fiber blocks the GPS signals and I am not a fan of putting my GPS on the outside of the boat. Especially when it is designed to be highly aerodynamic.

For this application it looks like the fiberglass will be plenty strong.

@LibertyMKiii

I've got some 8mm CF rods if you need..
Just let me know long you need them cut. 👊🤠
I have some already but I appreciate the offer.

By the way the sanding of this foam makes a giant mess and sticks to walls, you.... just everything!!! LOL

After further re-working the shape and smoothing.
In this picture I was looking at motor positions green in the back and black in the front.

View attachment 326168

If I go with a flex drive then the green rear position will work. If I go with a wire drive I would have to use the black motor position to reduce the shaft angle.

Sponsons are under construction also.
View attachment 326169

This one gives you an idea of how much shaping I do by sanding. A little more work is needed but overall the shape is looking great.

View attachment 326170

Always learning and progressing. I am really enjoying boats although this side of the hobby has far less of a community.

After doing a test in the R4 Zippkits rigger, the small light weight batteries cannot take much more than 100 amps load. I killed a new 2200 mAh 4s CNHL 70c LiPo in about 10 seconds. Ultimately to power a castle ESC up at 300+ amps you will need strong 5000+ mAh LiPo. (they note this in their specs for the ESC)
This is the death of the small light weight foam based design. I think it could be a nice 60-90 mph boat with lower amperage ESC, but that is not the goal I am going after.

After that scenario I put a 6,600 mAh 3s Onyx lipo in the R4 rigger (TP3630 (high kv)) and hit 80 mph with a 42mm 1.9 pitch aluminum CNC prop.
I swapped in a TP3640 slightly lower KV motor and ran a SMC 4s LiPo with a 1819 abc prop and hit 94 mph. This 4s setup seems to have a little more in it and should be able to crack 100 mph on 4s with a higher pitch prop and longer run.

Long story short I have decided to make a new rigger project that can fit large batteries. I had been talking with @Notoriousone about his TFL zonda and how well it performs with the dual motor setup. After seeing info on this setup my decision was made on what direction to take on a new project. I am starting by building a new FE 33 rigger that will be doubled with my existing FE 33.
What does that mean?

I am making a dual motor dual prop rigger :LOL:
Initially it will run 4s on each side and then jump to 6s on each side. This technically makes it a 12s rigger.
To start I will be running some pretty "Usual" props the 1817 from ABC.

I purchased from ZippKits some parts from their upcoming R6 rigger to see what they look like. The R6 is not quite wide enough to be a dual motor in my opinion with 2 XLX2s (very wide ESCs) and dual TP4070 motors. I decided a simple path forward is to proceed with a double FE 33 build.

The R6 does include some parts that I am borrowing for this build like the new boom tubes.
More to come as the build progresses.

Last edited:
Back