Liberty's high speed RC OutRigger boat build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boat community definitely seems to be stale. If you want to make it a business, you probably need to design for the racing categories and be somewhat compliant.
Solid point that is what the majority are into. Compliance and doing what others do has never been my thing...
#boring

2nd piece of the center hull finished today. It was a 42 hr print. You gotta love 3D printers for stuff like this!!!

View attachment 164851

My order from Amazon of True Composites resin and chopped strand mat fiberglass came in yesterday. I didn't realize I got the one with 10 yards of fiberglass. Looks like I will have plenty of leftovers!
Yep I made the same mistake. Box came and was like 20-30lbs. I was like wow that must be a lot of resin. Nope, it was a huge wad of mat. 🤣✌🏻

Yep I made the same mistake. Box came and was like 20-30lbs. I was like wow that must be a lot of resin. Nope, it was a huge wad of mat. 🤣✌🏻
The first time I bought their product the price was around 20-30.00 cheaper and barely came with enough mat. Maybe 5ft worth. Now I know why they raised the price so much.

3D print is done. Now that a machine isn't doing all the hard work for me the project is going to slow way down!

Next step is to skin the parts in fiberglass which I'll need a good 2+ hour window of time for that.

Finished 3d print Capture.JPG

On a side note I was able to print the whole thing in less than 1 roll of PLA. Probably my cheapest design to reality project yet at $23.00 for the 1kg spool of PLA.

Maybe a stupid question but how does the hull open to get everything inside?
After I fiberglass the whole thing I'll be making some cuts on the top side to make access. Probably will have 3 separate hatches.

3D print is done. Now that a machine isn't doing all the hard work for me the project is going to slow way down!

Next step is to skin the parts in fiberglass which I'll need a good 2+ hour window of time for that.

View attachment 165394

On a side note I was able to print the whole thing in less than 1 roll of PLA. Probably my cheapest design to reality project yet at $23.00 for the 1kg spool of PLA.
I like your view LOL

Got some time this week to lay on some fiberglass.
Working with fiberglass resin in a 92 F. garage is not recommended. This stuff normally has a 10 min working time at 70 F, and at 92 F I was dealing with 5 mins tops.

It is nearly done, but I need to clean up the rear and do another layer on the front nose/tip. There will be tons of sanding required as its extremely lumpy as expected. When I first ordered from TrueComposites the 1.5 oz mat was very thin, and would require many layers. This stuff is pretty heavy and clearly not 1.5 oz mat. Almost seems like they have it triple up around something like a 5oz mat.

initial Capture.JPG

I still have not started on the sponsons and not looking forward to it as they have many tight radius curves. I'm half tempted to coat them in epoxy and a few CF strips to hold the 3d print together and call it good.

Last edited:
Ewwwww! It's all fuzzy lookin' :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I am not looking forward to the sanding.
I'll try to use my air dual action sander for some of it, but the concave shape on the top and sides will not work well for a big sander like that....

Yeah I am not looking forward to the sanding.
I'll try to use my air dual action sander for some of it, but the concave shape on the top and sides will not work well for a big sander like that....
Grinder with a covex sanding disk, or a flap wheel?

Grinder with a covex sanding disk, or a flap wheel?
Yeah a flap wheel may work but I want to avoid creating low spots too. I may just use my curved sanding block and go manual with it....

So your fiberglass guy over the printed parts? Or are you making a fiberglass mold?

Yep just put fiberglass over the 3d print. I doubt this initial design will be my final design so I don't want to make a mold just yet.
Once I figure out a final shape I'll cast a mold and then build a light weight version fully made of composites. (likely carbon fiber)

Going for the quickest and lowest cost path to a working boat on this one given that I am totally new to boats, and even more so riggers which I hear can be tricky to setup.

Took a day off from work and got a few hours in the garage. (Rare occurrence these days)
I ordered the following carbon fiber tubes :

TubesCapture.JPG

The CAD design was built around this size and got them cut and mounted today.

I had also been sanding on the main hull for about 1.5 week and finally got it in a decent shape. It will need a little body filler to fill the small holes.

Here is the close up for the carbon tubes that slip fit. I'll start wide for stability and can always make it more narrow later.

slip fit.JPG

front quarter.JPG

Rear quarter.JPG

@LibertyMKiii It's lookin' kind of like a slug with training wheels. :ROFLMAO: Nice bit of progress. (y)
At the moment a slug is faster ;)
Things are so busy now with 2 kids in soccer and the baby. Hopefully I can find more time to get out in the garage without PTO days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back