Liberty's Kraton V4 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
I though I'd start a thread where I can document my Kraton V4 (blue)
It is brand new so nothing wild and exciting YET

To start off my story I got into RC again a few years ago after a friend showed me a Rustler VXL that he had picked up. Last time I was into RC was before LiPo batteries were available so I ran mostly Nitro on-road cars. After seeing the new generation of RC cars I had to get one. My interest has always been speed and going fast. I began with a Slash 2wd on 3s which was lots of fun, but under braking it was horrid (dragging the back tires). This lead me to getting a Slash 4x4 used on eBay that was a speed runner. It was setup with MIP axles, Castle 2200kv Mamaba monster 2 setup along with all the aluminum upgrades. It was lots of fun and very fast. ( I hit 81mph on 3s and was capable of 100+ on 6s)

I got the chance to drive an 8s XMaxx and just had to buy one. I found a good deal on eBay with some upgrades like the Max5 ESC and Leopard 58 series 1340kv motor, and 1/5 Rovan/hostile wheels. As received I was hitting 65mph. I did some changes and eventually got it up to 72.5mph. Last I checked it is the worlds 2nd fastest XMaxx. Tried a TP 5670 motor and Castle XL-X and had tons of power, but never did a speed run with that combo.

Video here of a 70.3 mph run with on screen mph from my GoPro (pretty cool trick for RC videos)

I ended up getting very frustrated with this RC because a set of 1/5 wheels/tires was around $175.00 and I just couldn't justify those sort of costs long term.
I put it up for sale and got a 4Tec 2.0 that was built up with a MMX and TP Power 4040 cm. I hit 65mph on 2s and would be in the 120+ range if I had good roads to drive it on.

I say all this to get to the point that I came to realize I didn't have the proper roads around here to run faster than about 80mph (if the car/tires was large enough to handle the bumps)

I was searching for the "best" do it all RC car that could go relatively fast around 60-70mph, handle rough roads, drive /handle well (possibly some drifting), and also do some off road jumping. As you can tell this lead me to the Arrma Kraton. Initially I wanted to buy used to save money, but used prices were always close to new on eBay. Also I had some experiences buying used where many issues existed with differentials or stripped screws. I bought new and got a V4 Kraton in Blue.

Here she is new (nearly the width of the X-Maxx I had)

Out with my old 2wd Slash that is now my Son's and converted to a "monster Slash"

So far I am very happy with it. Waiting on my 6s LiPo to arrive.
Already swapped in a Futaba radio system and a Traxxas 15t spur gear, but will likely try bigger. I have a new MM2 esc sitting on the shelf with a Castle 2200kv but waiting to see how it drives on 6s. (not real happy with the ESC tuning so far)

I am not sure if I'll end up swapping in a larger motor like the TP4070 and a XLX or Max5 esc, but it is very possible. Still getting a feel for the RC and deciding what changes I'll make to it. One thing I have learned over the years of modifying RC cars is that too much aluminum parts and larger motors absolutely ruin the driving feel of the car. When modifying my Slash 4x4 it was around 12 lbs and broke constantly! Light weight is always a good thing when talking RCs.

I'm thinking about getting a V4 kraton around christmas, and giving my son my notorious. I like the idea of the longer wheelbase for better handling, and all the little upgrades they did on it seem pretty cool.

I'm thinking about getting a V4 kraton around christmas, and giving my son my notorious. I like the idea of the longer wheelbase for better handling, and all the little upgrades they did on it seem pretty cool.

Originally I was going to purchase a Notorious as I like the look and the ease of doing flips. Not a bad choice, but not as good as the Kraton for my speed/power obsession.

Maybe the price will drop some by Christmas ;)

I am not sure if I'll end up swapping in a larger motor like the TP4070 and a XLX or Max5 esc, but it is very possible. Still getting a feel for the RC and deciding what changes I'll make to it. One thing I have learned over the years of modifying RC cars is that too much aluminum parts and larger motors absolutely ruin the driving feel of the car. When modifying my Slash 4x4 it was around 12 lbs and broke constantly! Light weight is always a good thing when talking RCs.
I definitely agree with what you said about adding too much weight with adding aluminum parts and larger motors. It looks like you have a good amount of experience with the TP motors. I actually was looking to do a TP4070/Max 5 setup on one of my Kraton's after seeing a couple of really nice builds on here, and I still might do that. As for right now I'm actually building a Kraton using a lighter Max6 esc and TP4060 1950kv motor setup and see how I like it. Hopefully things should go smoothly Lolll..

I definitely agree with what you said about adding too much weight with adding aluminum parts and larger motors. It looks like you have a good amount of experience with the TP motors. I actually was looking to do a TP4070/Max 5 setup on one of my Kraton's after seeing a couple of really nice builds on here, and I still might do that. As for right now I'm actually building a Kraton using a lighter Max6 esc and TP4060 1950kv motor setup and see how I like it. Hopefully things should go smoothly Lolll..

That should be an interesting build. For what it is worth I have heard people say that current ESC offerings cannot fully power the 4070 motor's amperage desires. I want to avoid 8s since it kills differentials, but who knows... I may go there later on. I have a 1/10 on-road build that I am working also that will be my dream speed build. I may share it here as things progress.

Built an cap pack tonight. It has 7 Panasonic 35v caps each rated at 1800 uF. Total capacitance is 12,600 uF. I ended up building it with Caslte 6.5 bullet connectors versus in the past using xt90 connectors.
Not the best build (no board)but easy and effective:

I like using clear shrink tube over the caps so I can see if they are going bad.

-Liberty

Initial test with the optional 15t pinion gear.

Just in my street, it definitely has more in it with this gear ratio with a longer distance to use. Not sure that I want to push it much further due to the tires balooning.

Ordered TBR wheelie bar and bumper.

Ran on a longer road today. First attempt I hit 61.8 mph, which seemed to be near the limits of the tires. They were full on pizza cutters up front. It was tracking perfectly straight and then lost all control once at top speed. It was a close save with the curb!

The center diff is a big part of the problem for that scenario. If I decide to do more speed I'll likely get a locked center diff/spool.

Just not convinced yet that I need/want to take it faster. I really want to explore using on a local bmx dirt track when things dry out.

I was looking at the possibility of putting on some 1/8 scale speedrun foams from BSR, if I wanted to pursue going faster.
Pretty shocking how big the difference in size is even though they are both 1/8 scale.

If I went this route I'd have to gear up significantly. I also have some 1/5 Losi 5ive buggy wheels that look identical to the BSR wheels but massive and run a 24mm hex. They would require getting custom foams put on them which is $$$$. Don't want to go down that road...

I might try it out with the 1/8 BSRs in the next 2 weeks, just to see how it drives. I have a black set that should look very nice with the blue body.

Last edited:
I was looking at the possibility of putting on some 1/8 scale speedrun foams from BSR, if I wanted to pursue going faster.
Pretty shocking how big the difference in size is even though they are both 1/8 scale.
I was pretty surprised when I got my first set of GRP's and put them against the standard sized Exabyte Dboots from my Typhon. Not sure why they aren't bigger really, specifically the rim size.

Great looking R/c the Kraton and enjoyed your videos. Good save btw near that curb. (y)

I was pretty surprised when I got my first set of GRP's and put them against the standard sized Exabyte Dboots from my Typhon. Not sure why they aren't bigger really, specifically the rim size.

Great looking R/c the Kraton and enjoyed your videos. Good save btw near that curb. (y)

Thanks!

I really wish either GRP or BSR would develop something with a larger diameter.
The GRP 1/5 wheel is nearly the same, just wider.

I am shocked that I saved that one to be honest, it was too close for comfort. I plan on pulling the center diff this week and adding some thick fluid since it is sending way too much of the power to the front.

@LibertyMKiii @Dutch213 @ninadada @cootertwo @phildogg @GMballistic @Walküre and to anyone of the speed runners I missed. You need to discover where there might be small abandoned airstrips or huge warehouse terminals to continue on your quests for top speed. The @LibertyMKiii video where he almost hits the curb, just verifies my point. @cootertwo's spot seems pretty nice, especially since it's very new. It's lots of fun for us to watch, but you guys are cheating rc death in these close quarters. It might seem like a pain in the a$$ to go searching for the perfect spot, but once you find it, your set for all future attempts. Just a guy lookin out for his rc bros.

@LibertyMKiii @Dutch213 @ninadada @cootertwo @phildogg @GMballistic @Walküre and to anyone of the speed runners I missed. You need to discover where there might be small abandoned airstrips or huge warehouse terminals to continue on your quests for top speed. The @LibertyMKiii video where he almost hits the curb, just verifies my point. @cootertwo's spot seems pretty nice, especially since it's very new. It's lots of fun for us to watch, but you guys are cheating rc death in these close quarters. It might seem like a pain in the a$$ to go searching for the perfect spot, but once you find it, your set for all future attempts. Just a guy lookin out for his rc bros.
Shhhhhhhh. I'm here for the big wreck!

Shhhhhhhh. I'm here for the big wreck!
Hey now! lol

I have a spot or two, but this one was 1 street over from my house... My other spots are quite a drive.
My best run spot is a parking lot at the Cow Boys stadium and Jerry Jones minions would run me off after a run or two i'm sure. Wide open recently paved lot. I believe @phildogg was the one that told me he had tried a runway and the radio interference was a big issue.

-Liberty

Hey now! lol

I have a spot or two, but this one was 1 street over from my house... My other spots are quite a drive.
My best run spot is a parking lot at the Cow Boys stadium and Jerry Jones minions would run me off after a run or two i'm sure. Wide open recently paved lot. I believe @phildogg was the one that told me he had tried a runway and the radio interference was a big issue.

-Liberty
Yep had severe range issues running my futaba 3pm-x. not sure why never had trouble before. there were 4 of us that day that experieced the same thing.

Yep had severe range issues running my futaba 3pm-x. not sure why never had trouble before. there were 4 of us that day that experieced the same thing.
It was probably the aliens and their spacecraft causing interference. You should go back. They left to go back home?

Slowly prepping for more off-road/bashing use.
TBR front bumper and wheelie bar installed.
Great quality products that I have used on several other RCs

Rain, rain, and more rain here in TX lately ?

LibertyMKiii a TP Power 4070 will scare you. The torque is amazing. I put one in my V3 Typhon 6S, and now have to do some aerodynamic work on the front end, and probably trim the rear wing some. It thinks it's an airplane now! The road I've been running on, is brand new, and still blocked to traffic on each end. However, it's been over 2 years, so I would think they are about to open it soon. Beautiful spot though. Only problem is some very large culverts, here and there. I can just imagine trying to lift one of those man hole covers off, to try to climb in to retrieve my truck!:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back