Kraton Limited Slip Diff Tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contrakt

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
Oooookay so the question is simple...

With Arrma's new LSD differentials (specifically the center one), would the earplug mod still be viable? I'm concerned about the clutch packs and how their operation would be affected. It looks like, from what I can see on their website, it's shipping with 100k oil.

That's a good question. I have never had an rc without a standard gear diff in it and as I am looking at picking some of these up I would be interested as well.

The ear plug mod does what a locked diff would do(lock the diff) i cant see the need for ear plugs if a guy has a limited slip diff in the center. I'm willing to bet 500k would be overkill with a limited slip diff in the center.

Another (somewhat joking but mostly serious question): do we need to use diff fluid with limited slip additive, like real vehicles?

I really don't understand how the limited slip system works on the EXB. It is pretty different than LSD we can see on 1:1 scale.

i cant see the need for ear plugs if a guy has a limited slip diff in the center. I'm willing to bet 500k would be overkill with a limited slip diff in the center.

Agree, the goal of the LSD is to keep traction on wheels which are on a side with more grip, so earplug wouldn't be necessary.

From the few first videos, it seems that the LSD works. If they don't have change the oil in the center diff., we can see that the front tires don't balloon like they should on "basic" kraton.

Rich said in his video that he did feel a real driving difference in comparison of the original Kraton. The first thing is that the EXB should pop up wheelies more fast and should be more tail happy, exactly like when you have heavy oil in center diff. As for the front, the car may be on the oversteer side.

Last edited:
The handling on the EXB is definitely a little different than usual. I don't own any of the current 6s off-road trucks, just the Infraction. But I have a MT410 and the EXB definitely behaves different. It's hard to explain. I still changed out the diff oil to F50/C200/R25 though, especially the F/R were too forgiving for my liking. I think the LSD primarily prevents diffing out and makes the stock 10k probably more like 15k on a non LSD diff. The more the diff spins up, the more it locks. If you want to put in silicon ear plugs I think that's still possible, but by doing that you almost eliminate all the slip, therefore I would suggest just taking the LSD parts out and put in the washers.

Because of the lack of springs in the EXB’s LSD diffs, I’m guessing that fine tuning will be done by adding/removing shims. The more shims, the more pressure on the friction disks, the more torque it will need to allow it to slip. This has me very curious as to how we’ll be fine tuning these diffs.

Because of the lack of springs in the EXB’s LSD diffs, I’m guessing that fine tuning will be done by adding/removing shims. The more shims, the more pressure on the friction disks, the more torque it will need to allow it to slip. This has me very curious as to how we’ll be fine tuning these diffs.

Arrma doesn't talk about this in the EXB manual.

Arrma doesn't talk about this in the EXB manual.

True, but they should. Simply introducing us with an exploded view of their LSD isn’t enough as some of us have analytical minds and we need to understand how these work in order to take full advantage of their concept.

Ahhhh I didn't look that close at the diff... No spring to hold tension like in a 1:1... Interesting.

Those friction discs... Man... I hope they're stout, because when you put the power down in a regular open diff Kraton, the front wheels really get spinning. Those discs are going to have a lot of work to do! Especially with no pre-load spring to keep them in check... I'm hoping they don't completely wear down to nothing after a month of use.

I have a lot of thoughts on how I think the LSD works and why they put it in, will be doing some testing to verify when I get one.

1) Clutch disks will wear out, which will contaminate the gear oil. Because of this, diff maintenance will have to be more frequent. Not everyone believes in diff maintenance.

2) More friction equals more heat. I’m hoping that those plastic diff cups will take the beating as I’ve seen some interesting pics of 6s diffs which have turned into a frag grenades.

3) There is no differential break-in procedure mentioned in the manual.

4) If I’m going to get super-technical here, there is a friction additive which is poured in LSD differentials in automotives. I know this well as I use to female dog and moan when draining the oil in my Ford 9” cause stuff was nasty but sure worked great. Again, no mention of any additives in the EBX manual.

1) Clutch disks will wear out, which will contaminate the gear oil. Because of this, diff maintenance will have to be more frequent. Not everyone believes in diff maintenance.

2) More friction equals more heat. I’m hoping that those plastic diff cups will take the beating as I’ve seen some interesting pics of 6s diffs which have turned into a frag grenades.

3) There is no differential break-in procedure mentioned in the manual.

4) If I’m going to get super-technical here, there is a friction additive which is poured in LSD differentials in automotives. I know this well as I use to female dog and moan when draining the oil in my Ford 9” cause stuff was nasty but sure worked great. Again, no mention of any additives in the EBX manual.
Yeah... You bring up some good points... More heat from the friction... Hmmmm...

And dirtier fluid faster... Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Here's what I'm wondering now... Let's say a guy doesn't like the LSD they've got installed into these trucks... I wonder what it would take to swap the LSD to a normal EXB diff like the one in the rear of the truck... I wonder if it's just a remove and replace of a couple cheap parts, or if you gotta spend 50+ dollars on a whole new unit (obviously I could go to the exploded view and look, but I'm just thinking out loud).

Yeah... You bring up some good points... More heat from the friction... Hmmmm...

And dirtier fluid faster... Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Here's what I'm wondering now... Let's say a guy doesn't like the LSD they've got installed into these trucks... I wonder what it would take to swap the LSD to a normal EXB diff like the one in the rear of the truck... I wonder if it's just a remove and replace of a couple cheap parts, or if you gotta spend 50+ dollars on a whole new unit (obviously I could go to the exploded view and look, but I'm just thinking out loud).

You can remove the LSD disc as the rear diff. doesn't have the system. I even think that we can put some gears from an other brand as there is surely more room inside the diff. case than inside the RTR one.

I wonder what it would take to swap the LSD to a normal EXB diff like the one in the rear of the truck... I wonder if it's just a remove and replace of a couple cheap parts, or if you gotta spend 50+ dollars on a whole new unit (obviously I could go to the exploded view and look, but I'm just thinking out loud).

From what I have studied in the exploded view, the non-LSD rear diff assembly shares all the same gears and diff cup as the LSD unit with exception that a shim replaces the clutches. See below.

D30A4628-0AE0-4D3E-84C3-BB814777C792.jpeg

Last edited:
From what I have studied in the exploded view, the non-LSD rear diff assembly shares all the same gears and diff cup as the LSD unit with exception that a shim replaces the clutches.

Ive seen a few people reference "just swap them out for the washers" so Im curious if Arrma would be including the parts to turn it from LSD to non-LSD.

Why would you do that?

Read the previous posts, where we talk about things like friction wearing the plates, etc.

Its very possible they will wear out and then you are down until fixed. Unless Arrma gives you the spacers to put in place, so you can at least get up and running again.

Why would you do that? Because at some point it might be necessary.

Being that the EXB is more of an advanced level truck, I don't see a problem with owners having to maintain the differentials more than the RTR version. I've run the V4 diffs in the RTR's for a while now and they don't require much maintenance. Maybe the RTR is better suited for people that are hesitant to maintain a diff? ?‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back