Limitless Limitless 8s motor suggestion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahul5454

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Outcast 6s
I got my new limitless today. I am planning out the electronics. I am not sure which to get. Any advise would be great.

I am going 8s and I am wanting to get into speed runs. I have zeroed in on the xlx2 but with the motor option I have the 800kv or the 1100kv. What do you guys think is the better can for my application? Again I am new to speed runs so I would like something where I can slowly progress. Possibly starting off at 90mph and progressing upwards. Alternatively the mmx8s/1650kv was also suggested. Your thoughts?

I got my new limitless today. I am planning out the electronics. I am not sure which to get. Any advise would be great.

I am going 8s and I am wanting to get into speed runs. I have zeroed in on the xlx2 but with the motor option I have the 800kv or the 1100kv. What do you guys think is the better can for my application? Again I am new to speed runs so I would like something where I can slowly progress. Possibly starting off at 90mph and progressing upwards. Alternatively the mmx8s/1650kv was also suggested. Your thoughts?
Believe it or not you can achieve 100mph with the max8 combo. You gotta be careful with the trigger but it can be done. The 800 or 1100 kv for “speed runs” is not the best choice. Also, the xlx2 has been quite the spontaneous combuster... many have flamed out now.. might wanna wait on that one till the bugs get worked out... the “speed run” guys will chime in I’m sure, but if your just easing into things the xlx2 is a little extreme if you ask me.. maybe start out with the max8 combo and play around and get a feel for things before spending big money on electrics.. just my thoughts.. ??‍♂️ Another solid combo for these that stays cool is the 1250kv / spektrum firma esc. The spektrum guys use it in the limitless and it performs great and you get build in telemetry if your using spektrum radios.

You can get the stock Specktrum Firma motor and ESC that comes in the Infraction V2 and use that on the Limitless, on good 6s batteries and a 28t pinion that will easily do 90mph. That’s a budget option, a better step up will be an MMX8s and 1717 sensored combo, guys are hitting 150mph on 8s with this. Also no spontaneous combustion issues with the MMX8s

If you want all out speed you can get the tp power 4070/2200kv
I’ve run mine with an xlx on a 30t pinion/34t spur With grp tires and ripple killer pack at 164mph on 8s 120c smc 6000mah packs

305EB2AE-F3F8-40D9-AFFC-537D2CB603D9.jpeg

70CF0A54-C60B-4FE0-A43C-C7B2A9FA2280.jpeg

BBEFE5CB-DE7F-4630-A2FD-7B8BC04BB6B8.jpeg

You can get the stock Specktrum Firma motor and ESC that comes in the Infraction V2 and use that on the Limitless, on good 6s batteries and a 28t pinion that will easily do 90mph. That’s a budget option, a better step up will be an MMX8s and 1717 sensored combo, guys are hitting 150mph on 8s with this. Also no spontaneous combustion issues with the MMX8s
Would this be the 1717 motor?

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/castle-1717-1y-sensored-motor-1650kv-060-0081-00

I'm no expert speed runner here but I would suggest the Castle MMX8s and maybe a TPpower motor something in the 2000-2250kv range ?

I have the new 1520-1650kv motor esc combo from Castle, which works great. The motor has the 5mm shaft which matches Arrma's Pinion size.

It turns my kraton EXB into a rocket on 8s, it wheelies even when giving it full throttle while already going 30mph!

Would this motor work with the MMX8s instead of the xlx?
The Tp 4070 can pull some serious amps..I don’t think the mmx8s can handle the amperage..now that the xlx2 is out that’s the one you want. It can handle over 500amp spikes apparently. The xlx2 is only a few bucks more than the mmx8s so it’s a no brainer if you ask me. I have a couple of xlx2’s right now in a couple of my 8s trucks and they’re working great so far

The Tp 4070 can pull some serious amps..I don’t think the mmx8s can handle the amperage..now that the xlx2 is out that’s the one you want. It can handle over 500amp spikes apparently. The xlx2 is only a few bucks more than the mmx8s so it’s a no brainer if you ask me. I have a couple of xlx2’s right now in a couple of my 8s trucks and they’re working great so far
Does that XLX2 have a max kv limit for the motor?

Does that XLX2 have a max kv limit for the motor?
I don’t think so..at least I’ve never seen anything in the paperwork they send that states a max kv limit
Unfortunately some escs do have kv limits
I have a couple ztw beast 300a escs and they max out at 800kv motors

I don’t think so..at least I’ve never seen anything in the paperwork they send that states a max kv limit
Unfortunately some escs do have kv limits
I have a couple ztw beast 300a escs and they max out at 800kv motors
Thanx!

Thanks for all that info. Is there something in the castle range equivalent to the tp4070? I've never used the tp motors personally.

Thanks for all that info. Is there something in the castle range equivalent to the tp4070? I've never used the tp motors personally.
There’s nothing in the castle motor lineup that comes even close to the power output of the tp power motors

look at the tp power specs and you’ll be pretty surprised at how much wattage they output.
even if you compare the largest castle motors(2028) against the tp 5860/5870 it’s a big difference. The castle 2028 outputs ~10hp compared to the 5870 tp power putting out ~20hp

If you want all out speed you can get the tp power 4070/2200kv
I’ve run mine with an xlx on a 30t pinion/34t spur With grp tires and ripple killer pack at 164mph on 8s 120c smc 6000mah packs
I'll go ahead and call it.
BS
Where is the video of you running 164 mph on GRP tires as an open wheel Limitless?
I personally know James McCoy who has gone through around 40 sets of GRP tires on his cars this last season ($900 worth of tires in one season). The failure rate of GRPs above 150mph is around 80-90%. He is now the fastest Limitless at 159mph unless your claim of 164mph is true?

I'll go ahead and call it.
BS
Where is the video of you running 164 mph on GRP tires as an open wheel Limitless?
I personally know James McCoy who has gone through around 40 sets of GRP tires on his cars this last season ($900 worth of tires in one season). The failure rate of GRPs above 150mph is around 80-90%. He is now the fastest Limitless at 159mph unless your claim of 164mph is true?
You can call it whatever you want:)
I could care less if anyone thinks I’m full of it ..it is what it is ..I always have to laugh when I see someone saying “I have the fastest—-whatever rc car— in the world”...for every YouTube speed runner video you see there you have to realize that there’s about 10 others doing the same or faster speeds..but just because they choose not to post videos people like to think they’re the fastest or that faster cars don’t exist.I personally enjoy rc for myself..not to post videos or brag about having the fastest setup. I only stated my pb with my limitless because people somehow think it’s rocket science and gearing is some sort of mysterious thing. Choose to believe me or not..I’m ok with it as I do this for myself and no one else. So I don’t ever need any validation from anyone. ?

As for the grp tires..they have a high failure rate at excessive speeds but if you balance them very carefully and make sure their glued properly they work very well ..I’ve been through several sets myself so I can relate.

There’s nothing in the castle motor lineup that comes even close to the power output of the tp power motors

look at the tp power specs and you’ll be pretty surprised at how much wattage they output.
even if you compare the largest castle motors(2028) against the tp 5860/5870 it’s a big difference. The castle 2028 outputs ~10hp compared to the 5870 tp power putting out ~20hp
Whoa! Never knew that. Perhaps I'll try the tp motor then. And would you still need a ripple killer pack with the xlx2? I saw a videos somewhere mentioning they didnt need the pack with the xlx2.

You can call it whatever you want:)
I could care less if anyone thinks I’m full of it ..it is what it is ..I always have to laugh when I see someone saying “I have the fastest—-whatever rc car— in the world”...for every YouTube speed runner video you see there you have to realize that there’s about 10 others doing the same or faster speeds..but just because they choose not to post videos people like to think they’re the fastest or that faster cars don’t exist.I personally enjoy rc for myself..not to post videos or brag about having the fastest setup. I only stated my pb with my limitless because people somehow think it’s rocket science and gearing is some sort of mysterious thing. Choose to believe me or not..I’m ok with it as I do this for myself and no one else. So I don’t ever need any validation from anyone. ?

As for the grp tires..they have a high failure rate at excessive speeds but if you balance them very carefully and make sure their glued properly they work very well ..I’ve been through several sets myself so I can relate.

That's cool, I am glad you do this for yourself and enjoy it.

You will have to forgive me as I take the speed side of the hobby seriously and anytime we have seen someone lying about what their car can do, this type of response you gave is the exactly the explanation we see.

That is a big number to claim with the Limitless. Given how many people are trying to go that fast with a limitless I can tell you it is way more than just knowing gearing. I know 10+ people who got stuck at 149-154 mph with the Limitless (after trying every gearing possible). This is very normal because all the power and perfect gearing in the world wont make the car go faster. Everyone fast in this hobby has XLX2, SMC packs, gearing, and TP4070 motors.

Take Raz for example. He runs several times a day 5+ days a week. He has tried every gearing and motor combo possible, and has not reach as fast as James McCoy. I am not going to give away James's secrets, but I can tell you the difference is aerodynamics. I don't buy your explanation that you understand gearing as the reason why you can do what 100s are not able to do and unwilling to provide any proof of such an outrageous claim.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back