Limitless Limitless Gear Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaloGod7786

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a new limitless I just built with the BLX 185 and Arrma 2050kv motor with cooling. Will I be okay running with the stock 27t/34t gear setup? People keep telling me my electronics will catch fire with the stock gearing. I’m too scared to even run it down my street.
71CF41EF-81EA-44BD-A2FE-9F2FEA5907B0.jpeg

Are you just making a couple speed runs or are you trying to run a full pack?

If you run a full pack, you could burn up your motor. A few passes would be fine. Just check temps every 5 mins or so and don’t let it get over 180F

run for 10 or so minutes and just do some speed runs up and down the subdivision street, nothing too crazy.
That’s way too much gearing then. You can probably get away with 2 or 3 back to back WOT passes before the temps get into the red. I’d go with an Infraction diff with 27/46 gearing for 10 min runs. That should put you closer to a full pack but you’ll need to monitor temps still to make sure everything stays below 180 degrees. For street bashing with stock electronics that’s probably the highest gearing you’ll be able to get away with

That’s way too much gearing then. You can probably get away with 2 or 3 back to back WOT passes before the temps get into the red. I’d go with an Infraction diff with 27/46 gearing for 10 min runs. That should put you closer to a full pack but you’ll need to monitor temps still to make sure everything stays below 180 degrees. For street bashing with stock electronics that’s probably the highest gearing you’ll be able to get away with

if I want to stay safe and go even longer Would a 50t diff with the 27t stock pinion be good?

Yes
You’ll be trading top speed for safer temps and longer run times

Yes
You’ll be trading top speed for safer temps and longer run times
Thanks for the help. So I’ll keep the 27t pinion in there and grab a 50t Arrma diff. For the time being, I guess I’ll just do single passes and then check motor temps

I don’t think you’ll be able to squeeze a 27t pinion on the mount with a 50t spur and still retain both hold down screws up top. 27/46 is about maxed out on the v4 mount

I fit a 22T with a 50T center diff on my infraction with the V4 mount and can still set both hold down screws. Might be able to fit a 23T but any bigger would need a Dremel to widen the slide channel or only use 1 of the hold down screws which I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with.

I don’t think you’ll be able to squeeze a 27t pinion on the mount with a 50t spur and still retain both hold down screws up top. 27/46 is about maxed out on the v4 mount
I will go for the 18t/50t setup since I’ve seen a few videos with this setup and it drove nice. 18/50 should be a easy drop in fit right ?

Yes and you should definitely be able to run a full pack.
You can go up as high as 23-24 pinion with the 50t spur if need be.
Top speed with a 18/50 setup will yield approximately 55-57mph.
23/50 is about 70mph
27/46 = 82-84mph

Right now with your current gearing your looking at 105-109mph

Yes and you should definitely be able to run a full pack.
You can go up as high as 23-24 pinion with the 50t spur if need be.
Top speed with a 18/50 setup will yield approximately 55-57mph.
23/50 is about 70mph
27/46 = 82-84mph

Right now with your current gearing your looking at 105-109mph

So another question is why do I need to use a diff? Why not just grab a cheap spur gear that’s 46 to 50t? Does a diff help alleviate something off the front and rear diff?

I just figured a diff would be easier to come by (especially if you have more than 1 Arrma) but an 8mm bore spur gear will work as well to swap out on the spool.

I just figured a diff would be easier to come by (especially if you have more than 1 Arrma) but an 8mm bore spur gear will work as well to swap out on the spool.
So my buddy gave me a 39t spur gear for the limitless. Keeping the 27t pinion, would going from a 34t spur to the 39t spur help any for runs? If so then I can just grab a cheap 22t pinion and run 22/39 and be all set for free versus 60+ bucks for just a diff and pinion

50/18 = primary drive ration 2.77 (runs cool - run it till you break it)
39/22 = primary drive ratio 1.77 (runs hot - 3-4 speed passes max)
34/27 = primary drive ratio 1.25 (runs hot - 1-2 speed passes max)

50/18 = primary drive ration 2.77 (runs cool - run it till you break it)
39/22 = primary drive ratio 1.77 (runs hot - 3-4 speed passes max)
34/27 = primary drive ratio 1.25 (runs hot - 1-2 speed passes max)

Awesome thanks. Looks like I’ll just keep 27/34 for speed runs and then get the 18/50 setup for fun.

Interesting read. I'm currently building a limitless with a max 6 combo using the 5687 motor. I'm stuck on gearing though ? heard using the bigger motor mounting moves the pinion gear away from the spur gear so a bigger gear is required.
Any body know if there's any truth to this

Interesting read. I'm currently building a limitless with a max 6 combo using the 5687 motor. I'm stuck on gearing though ? heard using the bigger motor mounting moves the pinion gear away from the spur gear so a bigger gear is required.
Any body know if there's any truth to this
That’s only an 1100kv motor. You’re gonna want a huge pinion anyways. You will need to overdrive it just to hit 80mph

That’s only an 1100kv motor. You’re gonna want a huge pinion anyways. You will need to overdrive it just to hit 80mph
Really ? I did some research on line before I purchased it all and it seamed to be a good combo.. I've already ordered it now :-( can I just swap out the motor ? Do you have any recommendations as to what motor to run with the max6s esc

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back