Limitless - Need Recommendation for Motor, Fan, Heat sink & temp sensor for bashing (not speed runs)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formula_Austin

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Limitless that I was having issues with the ESC cutting off (ARRMA BLX185 6S).

I thought it was a bad ESC - so I bought a Castle Mamba Monster 8S - which doesn’t have any overheating issues.

I melted one of my motor wires - because the motor got so hot (no temp sensor currently).

I got some advice that the reason I was having heat issues is because I was ‘over’ geared. I had a 27 Pinion and 34 Spool gear.

I then reduced to a 39 tooth Spool gear. So I am now running 27 Pinion and 39 Spool.

The motor I am running, ARRMA BLX4078 2050kv, has plenty of power for me - but if the better approach is to upgrade the motor, even to 8S, then that is okay as well - altough I would prefer to use the stock motor “mounting” location ideally.

Note - I have lots of battery combos - so using 6S or 8S - either will work without having to buy batteries.

NEED YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BASHING
Is there a heat sink / fan combo that will work with my BLX4078 - that has a high possibility of being able to bash without overheating / melting wires / cutting off?
—That will fit under the body of the Limitless.

—If so - please let me know. Links are appreciated.

If I go ahead and replace the motor - is there a “packaged” (motor, heat sink, fan, possibly temp sensor) that will similarly help me avoid the current over heating issues I am having?
—That will also fit in the stock location and not require modifications (I.e. holes) in the body of the limitless.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ANY RECOMMENDATIONS YOU CAN OFFER!!!
SORRY - I meant to post this in the Electronics forum.

I’ll have reported there.

ADMIN - Please delete this post.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will have specific issues with it posted in this section of the forum.

In general people find using the Infraction gearing is ideal. This would be using a spur of 46t or 50t and a pinion around 15t - 19t.

The above gearing would put the car around 60mph peak speeds. Your car currently is setup for 100mph roughly, which is excessive for parking lot bashing. Agressive gearing requires more amps and watts which = overheating. I would recommend changing the gearing with a good heat sink and fan. (no specific advice there, but might be able to use the ones that come on the new Arrma cars?)

You could also get a larger motor in there like the Castle 1717 for example, but might not be necessary.

Hi
who sells or make the 46 or 50 tooth gears for the centre spool
thanks in advance

Thanks very much jondilly - very appreciated.

I didn't know where to find these gears.

I ordered a 46t spool, and I had already ordered a 19t pinion - so I should be good to go.

I think I've located a heatsink and fan as well - so with all of that - hopefully I can do some continuous bashing!!

Thanks again!

FOLLOW UP QUESTION:

Do you know where I could get a (reasonably priced . i.e. not $45) motor temperature sensor?

I would like to hook up a sensor to the cut-off on my ESC - so I don't have to think about it - and can actually monitor it through the Castle Link mobile app (for ESC programming) that I have.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back