Limitless Speed Run Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I'm building the Limitless and finding that the stock tires are not only out of balance but out of round. Maybe the heat up and become round...er? I dunno.

My plan is start maybe 50-60 mph to get used it, then work up to a 100 mph. I don't have much room to run and I think space will be the limiting factor to go much faster than that.

I'm looking at tires and in another thread from 2019
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/best-on-road-tires-for-speed-runs.12568/
There are only 4 good options for speed tires over 80

GRP
BSR
Contact
SP Racing
@LibertyMKiii
Those are brands. Is there a specific compound that works best. I'm assuming it's a trade off between hardness and grip. I think the harder tires will deform less and take the heat better, but provide less grip?

I also found a video from
YT - RC USA 201

He likes the Sweeps. I'm assuming the X-tra hard compound would be good. But it's not very hot in my area.
https://www.sweepracingusa.com/Swee...AM-TIRES-for-GT8-17mm-HEX-2pcs-set_p_871.html

I know nothing about which tires do what so any info, opinions and lies are welcome.

Grp is great for up to 100+

Bsr are a must for 120+, hard foams require some getting used to, but when you do you don't want anything else. They don't like going sideways though and need to be trimmed down.

Sp racing are made for carpet. On the road they are gone before you know it. Contact are in the same category i think

Sweep, only have limited experience with them, but from what others say, they cant really compete with grp's. Though seen plenty of bad grp batches too

I'm building the Limitless and finding that the stock tires are not only out of balance but out of round. Maybe the heat up and become round...er? I dunno.

My plan is start maybe 50-60 mph to get used it, then work up to a 100 mph. I don't have much room to run and I think space will be the limiting factor to go much faster than that.

I'm looking at tires and in another thread from 2019
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/best-on-road-tires-for-speed-runs.12568/

@LibertyMKiii
Those are brands. Is there a specific compound that works best. I'm assuming it's a trade off between hardness and grip. I think the harder tires will deform less and take the heat better, but provide less grip?

I also found a video from

He likes the Sweeps. I'm assuming the X-tra hard compound would be good. But it's not very hot in my area.
https://www.sweepracingusa.com/Swee...AM-TIRES-for-GT8-17mm-HEX-2pcs-set_p_871.html

I know nothing about which tires do what so any info, opinions and lies are welcome.

Since I had posted that note I would refine my list to only GRP J series S1 compound and BSR foams only.
I do recommend when getting your feet wet in speed running to run GRP J series S1 until you reach 120+ speeds. They need balancing but offer the most grip to help you during your learning stages.
Once you master how to speed run and are looking to go to 130+ speeds you should switch to BSR foams. They offer much less grip and require additional downforce to work well. They are also expensive. They also chunk and get destroyed much easier. For BSR tires and speeds of 130+ it is pretty much the XX Pink or Purple compounds that you should stick with.

I found that BSR's arnt perfect either. Out of the 6 I just got 3 of them have wheels out of round. Yet after some use they tend to straighten out some and do not require much for balancing due to their lower mass.

Since I had posted that note I would refine my list to only GRP J series S1 compound and BSR foams only.
I do recommend when getting your feet wet in speed running to run GRP J series S1 until you reach 120+ speeds. They need balancing but offer the most grip to help you during your learning stages.
Once you master how to speed run and are looking to go to 130+ speeds you should switch to BSR foams. They offer much less grip and require additional downforce to work well. They are also expensive. They also chunk and get destroyed much easier. For BSR tires and speeds of 130+ it is pretty much the XX Pink or Purple compounds that you should stick with.

I found that BSR's arnt perfect either. Out of the 6 I just got 3 of them have wheels out of round. Yet after some use they tend to straighten out some and do not require much for balancing due to their lower mass.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Can you clarify the J-series? I see GT and TO tires but no J series. Maybe I'm in the wrong place. Also S1 the softest compound, why the S1?

Amain says:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/grp-gt...tires-black-2-s1-grpgtx01-s1/p944887?v=944888
Compound Applications:
  • S1: XX Soft - Recommended for very low grip surfaces like dirt and fine asphalt, as well as driving in low temperature conditions.
  • S5: Medium - Recommended for high grip, clean tracks and coarse asphalt, as well as driving in high temperature conditions.
  • S7: Medium/Hard - Recommended for VERY high grip sufaces, and smooth clean, very coarse asphalt, as well as high temperature conditions.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Can you clarify the J-series? I see GT and TO tires but no J series. Maybe I'm in the wrong place. Also S1 the softest compound, why the S1?

Amain says:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/grp-gt...tires-black-2-s1-grpgtx01-s1/p944887?v=944888
Compound Applications:
  • S1: XX Soft - Recommended for very low grip surfaces like dirt and fine asphalt, as well as driving in low temperature conditions.
  • S5: Medium - Recommended for high grip, clean tracks and coarse asphalt, as well as driving in high temperature conditions.
  • S7: Medium/Hard - Recommended for VERY high grip sufaces, and smooth clean, very coarse asphalt, as well as high temperature conditions.

In my opinion S5 and S7 are for bashing and looking for longer life out of the tire.
Speed running does not use much tire and obviously maximum grip is a plus so I always run S1. I have taken a set of S1's to 120 and 130 mph on a Typhon 6s.
As a side note I always sand the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire and add BSI IC2000 glue.

Regarding the series of wheel the model number GRPGTX.... You would instead be looking for GRPGTJ
I believe the J-hard wheel only comes in white, but that was before they offered the new lineup this year.

In my opinion S5 and S7 are for bashing and looking for longer life out of the tire.
Speed running does not use much tire and obviously maximum grip is a plus so I always run S1. I have taken a set of S1's to 120 and 130 mph on a Typhon 6s.
As a side note I always sand the edge of the wheel where it meets the tire and add BSI IC2000 glue.

Regarding the series of wheel the model number GRPGTX.... You would instead be looking for GRPGTJ
I believe the J-hard wheel only comes in white, but that was before they offered the new lineup this year.
I was just reading your post. I just build a limitless and already blowing tires at 112mph and don't even get started where would you recommend finding the tires you mentioned in this post

I was just reading your post. I just build a limitless and already blowing tires at 112mph and don't even get started where would you recommend finding the tires you mentioned in this post
HobbyHeroes.com

Island Hobby Nut carries both GRP tires and BSR foams off the top of my head.

GRP now has a new line of tires.
The xm3 is the one I run now same soft compound with new name. These seem to hold up till 140-150. Then you will need BSR foams.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back