Limitless Limitless w/ Hobbywing Max8 Combo 6S overheating. Please post any suggestions to cool the car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-GP

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Hi all, here are my Limitless specs:

ESC, Motor, and Batteries: Hobbywing Max8 combo 2200kv on 6S (two 3S Powerhobby Lipos 5200mah 75C) XT90 connectors
Spur: 46T with center differential with 200k diff fluid
Pinon: 19T
Servo: Protek 100SS
The rest of the car is stock.

I am NOT doing speed runs. I want to race this car around a road course track with turns. I want to be able to do laps around the track, but the thermal ESC protection keeps triggering before the batteries run out of juice. The motor and esc are super hot to the touch. I added an Integy heatsink with a fan to the motor, but I don't think it is enough. The Max8 ESC has an internal stock fan, but it also is not enough. I am going to add additional external fans to both the motor and ESC, but anyone else have any other suggestions? Thank you!

Attachments

• _DSC8091.JPG
    _DSC8091.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 193
  • _DSC8092.JPG
    _DSC8092.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 119
I'm using Yeah Racing twin fan HS.(2 Tornado fans) And I also put a Tornado fan in the ESC.(XR8+combo/2200Kv sensored)
Im running stock spool and a 30T pin. You should drop your gearing with that 46T diff. spur gear. Like 17T if your Mot. mount allows it. 19T+ is too tall for anything but speed pulls with cool downs. Just bashing around...drop your gearing or go to 4S. It should cool down. But they all run hot if you ask me.
With the HW Esc's they go thermal because of either the 3 internal Caps or the MosFets read too hot .Good fans help. Sometimes omitting the Motor HS and just using 2 good fans alone helps aIso. I dropped my mechanical timing. It helped a lot. I do a mix of a few pulls and then just cruise around. I added a 6K uf 35V cap pack. Home brewed with Panasonic Gold caps. They get hot too. Means they are working
overtime. PB 69.41MPH. I need more space. Longer run. She's still a baby. Need to strectch her out a bit. Shes got legs. But I thermal cuts here and there. Depends how you drive. Cool downs are important, even just cruising slow cools it down. My thermal Cut resets after about 1 minute. Get my TH back.

20200512_021438.jpg
20200512_021309.jpg

Last edited:
I personally think the ESC is not enough for that rig, probably struggling to put sufficient power to the motor. As that happens the motor gets hot quicker trying to pull more amps the ESC (tries to then thermals) can't provide. If possible, I would recommend a HW Max6 or Castle MMX8S. Last resort is gearing down more, to allow less strain on the motor. That will take away top speed though.

Personal opinion though! (y)

Thanks for your replies! I just installed the Yeah Racing twin tornado fans and went with a 16T pinion. I drove it around but then my servo failed, but I think it still helped cool the car down. I agree 6S Hobbywing Max8 Combo has to work too hard to make this car drive.

I would advise going with an Castle XLX receiver they tend to be able to handle alot of current and don't overheat. I originally had one on a rig a couple of years ago and they are really the top of the line electronic speed controllers. 19/46 isn't really a bad gear ratio to cause heat in my opinion.

I would advise going with an Castle XLX receiver they tend to be able to handle alot of current and don't overheat. I originally had one on a rig a couple of years ago and they are really the top of the line electronic speed controllers. 19/46 isn't really a bad gear ratio to cause heat in my opinion.
Always depends on the power system. Max8, this gearing may be a bit to much. On a XLX, it can probably handle it through a couple battery packs. Just depends.

The reduced gearing may have been all you need. Give it another shot and see how it goes.
If you do find that you need another the ESC, for the money I think the MMX8s is the best for any 1/8 or 1/7 Arrma no matter how you want to use the car.

The ESC keeps overheating. The Limitless was not meant to be 6s. Not sure why they sell like that.

I think the max 8 is small for the 1/7 Limitless, its gonna work hard and get hot. A max 6 would be better suited

The ESC keeps overheating. The Limitless was not meant to be 6s. Not sure why they sell like that.
Limitless can handle any power plant you put in it. Unfortunately the current power plant you're using, the ESC can't keep up. Castle MMX8S, XLX or MM2 are few ESC's from the Castle line that can handle more power consistently or you would need to move up to the next ESC in the Hobbywing line. That would be a Max6.
As stated before, the Max8 ESC as other members will agree, the ESC just can't keep up with the size and weight of the Limitless with batteries. Also, the 2200kv motor can pull some decent amps, so the ESC is going to overwork really fast. ?

Remember the days when the 2200kv combo went in the Savage Flux HP and it could do standing backflips? And now that same setup struggles to power these cars...

Best suggestion is to use a different ESC more suited to the Limitless, but other than that maybe you can change out the fan inside? I don’t know if you can do this on hobbywing ESC’s, but on my Castle XLX I replace the cheap stock fan with a wild turbo 40mm fan that fits nicely in it and does a much better job of cooling it. Wild turbo has 40 and 30mm fans, maybe one of those will work

Remember the days when the 2200kv combo went in the Savage Flux HP and it could do standing backflips? And now that same setup struggles to power these cars...
It all comes down to duration of 70-100% throttle.
On a monster truck you give little short bursts of high throttle and generally are going low speeds.
On a car like the Limitless you have that throttle pinned most of the time. It absolutely requires a large scale ESC with a large cooling surface. This is why no one recommends an 1/8 ESC for this car. The answer is always Max5 Max6 MMX8s or XLX 2

Last edited:
If everything else is stock it’s probably bad bearings causing all that heat. (Just a guess)

I got a savage flux with max8 2200kv combo, it hits thermal shut off on 6s running a center diff with 47t spur and 15t pinion

Best suggestion is to use a different ESC more suited to the Limitless, but other than that maybe you can change out the fan inside? I don’t know if you can do this on hobbywing ESC’s, but on my Castle XLX I replace the cheap stock fan with a wild turbo 40mm fan that fits nicely in it and does a much better job of cooling it. Wild turbo has 40 and 30mm fans, maybe one of those will work
Most ESC fans are10mm tall and can be had in 40,35,30mm widths.

I have the HW max8 combo in mine with 2200kv motor, it runs for 3 mins then shuts off lol, can I just buy the max6 esc and not have to buy the max6 combo or will I still have issues? They both get hot so how will I know which one it is, thanks

I have the HW max8 combo in mine with 2200kv motor, it runs for 3 mins then shuts off lol, can I just buy the max6 esc and not have to buy the max6 combo or will I still have issues? They both get hot so how will I know which one it is, thanks
I don't know if the Max6 has enough extra cooling capacity to solve your issue if you are managing to overheat in 3 mins.
Based on what I think your driving style is a Max5 might be the better choice. Then when the ESC does not shut down the motor will melt due to being too high KV for what you are doing.

You may be better off getting a combo and something around 1700kv (+/- 150 kv)

Look what just popped up

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hobbywing-max6-esc-4985-combo.28427/

Last edited:
Aw thanks liberty MKiii for replying, I'm not actually doing speed runs, more drifting and just going fast off the drifts but not speed runs, will the max5 fit in the car? Was hoping the max6 would've been sufficient and fitting some fans maybe to it, would castle be a better alternative to hobbywing?

ESC, Motor, and Batteries: Hobbywing Max8 combo 2200kv on 6S (two 3S Powerhobby Lipos 5200mah 75C) XT90 connectors

I am NOT doing speed runs. I want to race this car around a road course track with turns. I want to be able to do laps around the track, but the thermal ESC protection keeps triggering before the batteries run out of juice. The motor and esc are super hot to the touch. I added an Integy heatsink with a fan to the motor, but I don't think it is enough. The Max8 ESC has an internal stock fan, but it also is not enough. I am going to add additional external fans to both the motor and ESC, but anyone else have any other suggestions? Thank you!
Hi RC-GP did u manage to sort your over heating issue out because I'm having the same problem also running hobbywing max8 combo

Hi RC-GP did u manage to sort your over heating issue out because I'm having the same problem also running hobbywing max8 combo

Aw thanks liberty MKiii for replying, I'm not actually doing speed runs, more drifting and just going fast off the drifts but not speed runs, will the max5 fit in the car? Was hoping the max6 would've been sufficient and fitting some fans maybe to it, would castle be a better alternative to hobbywing?

If you have the budget for it and don't mind waiting till the release the new XLX 2 runs cold as ice. MSRP 249.00
Most people who put large 1/5 scale ESCs in the car run a center brace like this to solve mounting:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-C...v=DefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back