Limitless with Castle 1520 - Pinion/Spur Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StavrosTk

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Limitless
Hi all,

I recently bought a Limitless and decided to equip it with a combo from Castle Creations, that being the Mamba 8s ESC + 1520 1650KV Brushless motor. When I tried to fit the motor to the car (btw: I have already purchased the 50 series Mount plate - ARA320538) I realised that the (default) pinion that comes with the car (27T if I recall) is small and does not engage with the car's central spur gear. There is a small gap (a few mm) between the two and I cannot bridge it. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to move to a bigger pinion?

I am attaching the respective photos ... any help/feedback is mostly welcome!

Thanks,
S.

20211227_213124.jpg

20211227_213102.jpg

Last edited:
Switch back to the standard motor plate and it should work.
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed switching to the standard plate did resolve the issue.

However, I need to note that for this particular model there is a great difficulty to fit the motor (in the standard placeholder) with the standard motor plate installed. If you install the motor plate on the motor prior of fitting the motor to it's place, you can't slide it in place because the rear of the motor is blocked by the chasis (photo).
20211227_225903.jpg

The only way (I managed to find) around this, is to partialy screw the motor plate (and the pinion) to the motor. If the motor plate is loose you can manage to fit the motor, bypassing this obstacle. But then you need to use a ball hex screwdriver to tightent the motor plate (while having the pinion in place but not aligned yet). Then you can align the pinion and tighten it in place.

It's a pain .... but worked.

Thanks again!!!!
I agree with Engineer. I have the same motor as you and with the 27tooth it meshed fine. The 1520 is a 40mm motor if I remember correctly.
Indeed the 1520 is 40mm!

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed switching to the standard plate did resolve the issue.

However, I need to note that for this particular model there is a great difficulty to fit the motor (in the standard placeholder) with the standard motor plate installed. If you install the motor plate on the motor prior of fitting the motor to it's place, you can't slide it in place because the rear of the motor is blocked by the chasis (photo).
View attachment 188791
The only way (I managed to find) around this, is to partialy screw the motor plate (and the pinion) to the motor. If the motor plate is loose you can manage to fit the motor, bypassing this obstacle. But then you need to use a ball hex screwdriver to tightent the motor plate (while having the pinion in place but not aligned yet). Then you can align the pinion and tighten it in place.

It's a pain .... but worked.

Thanks again!!!!

Indeed the 1520 is 40mm!
Where that nut is I ground a bit of the plastic away so that the motor would clear it as it slide past it . Or you order a PPS motor mount and then you don't need to worry about it . The PPS mount raises the motor up a couple of MM which helps the motor clear the nut holder. Found that out the hard way.:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

Where that nut is I ground a bit of the plastic away so that the motor would clear it as it slide past it . Or you order a PPS motor mount and then you don't need to worry about it . The PPS mount raises the motor up a couple of MM which helps the motor clear the nut holder. Found that out the hard way.:ROFLMAO:
Is the PPS motor mount available in Europe?

I also did this to fit a max 6 combo. I was pretty damn frustrated at first because no one really mentions this problem so it's not something you expect to run into when setting up your build. Thankfully it was like a 10 second fix with a dremel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back