Lipo 2s on stock MEGA >>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewking00

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Can it be done? I'm reading conflicting information. I know the manual says "yes", but searching through the forum I'm seeing burned out motors and/or ESCs.

As an aside, the 8 year old is hitting the jumps!:

I think you need to take cool down breaks. If you want the motor to last. If you just run a full say 5000mah lipo through it is going to put a lot of heat into the motor. Some racing clubs run stock slash motors and they last a month or two. But they only run 5-8 minute heats/mains.

My buddies kids went though 7 titan 12t slash motors on lipos before they went brushless. Traxxas apparently replaces the motors for free. Not sure about arrma.

Believe me, a 2S lipo will work with the MEGA ESC. Just make sure you set the plug to lipo (see manual).

It will make the car much more lively.
However, the stock 15t motor's brushes will not survive long. With my son's truck it only took 4 battery charges of 6000mAh

It can be done but won't last long..... I jus put a new Titan 12 turn thinking about buying another nihm battery for my son till I get him upgraded or atleast he can hadle it!

Well, the mega motor in my Fury lasted longer on 2s than any of our Titan 12ts ever did in the kids stampedes in NiMHs. I just cleaned out my box of toasted 12's...lol.

And the mega motor I have toasted, was due to abuse. 5000mah Lipo, and 4-6 inch deep, 10 ft long mud puddles. Even with motor cleaner and lubing the bushings, they don't like that for long. :D

Just got a 5200 mAh 30c 2s lipo. I had replaced the 15T pinion with an 18T while running the NIMHs. Should I switch back to the 15T on another pinion gear?
Will it overheat the motor more?

Just got a 5200 mAh 30c 2s lipo. I had replaced the 15T pinion with an 18T while running the NIMHs. Should I switch back to the 15T on another pinion gear?
Will it overheat the motor more?

I would try the 18T first!
You will get more performance of the motor thanks to the much better power supply of the lipo: it will not drop voltage when you ask ampere's from it, like a ni-mh does do unfortunately.
That is the reason for example why a 7 cell ni-mh (8,4V) will give less top speed than a 2S (7,4V) lipo (and a lipo cell fully charged will deliver 4,2V per cell)

If you think top speed is not good, try the 15T. But on stock gearing mine became quite hot. Too hot as appeared soon.

The titan 12T is a cheap upgrade, more speed and a bit better build quality. Jet no winner too.
If you stick with brushed try to get one with neodymium magnets and replaceable brushes.
I put a 20T from Kyosho (discontinued) in my sons fury, and it was really fun to drive! Even the brake function did work, as the 15T is too weak

Thanks URC, Figure I will probably go brushless in the future. Just postponing the cost. Motor does get hot so I am watching it and trying to let it cool with short periods between running.
Is there a temp I should be watching not to excede or will I know when it starts smoking ?

I don't need to go 50mph, just playing around off road and would like to have some power to occasionally do a wheelie or jump. Not looking for destruction of truck from high jumps or rolling it at 90mph.

Since you seem to be in the know. Had a watt meter hooked up to it, should I test ( for my own interest ), with it freewheeling or actually running it on the ground. I would think the latter.

As a general rule any temperature, for which it hurts to touch is bad! That's roughly 50-60 degrees Celsius/120-140 degrees Fahrenheit.

Unfortunately mine did not run hot over the period of running, but suddenly became really hot. I figure fine dust might have been sucked in the can of the motor (due to the fan inside for cooling), where it got stuck between the brushes and the collector.

Forget wheelies with brushed configurations, unless you are going to fiddle with the weight distribution a lot.
For that you really need brushless power.

Nevertheless with a $30-$40,- modified brushed motor (as I described earlier) you should be able to have fun!
Nevertheless for a few bucks more you can have a cheap "medium" power brushless combo, which will give much longer runtimes and much better performance.

A Watt meter only makes sense as telemetry option on the vehicle.
idling with the wheels from the ground will give almost no friction. Driving the vehicle does!

Can it be done? I'm reading conflicting information. I know the manual says "yes", but searching through the forum I'm seeing burned out motors and/or ESCs.

As an aside, the 8 year old is hitting the jumps!:
I have both an 8 year old and a Mega Granite (2014 spec), and we have been running a 2S 5000mA/h Onyx LiPo since December 2015, and, strangely enough, we have reduced our consumption of Arrma 15T brushed motors as a result (only one since). The guy at Great Hobbies told me to run the new motor in a glass of water for 15 minutes before mounting it, so that may have something to do with it as well. We are also running an identical battery in a more or less stock Mega Fury (also 2014 spec) as well.

I have both an 8 year old and a Mega Granite (2014 spec), and we have been running a 2S 5000mA/h Onyx LiPo since December 2015, and, strangely enough, we have reduced our consumption of Arrma 15T brushed motors as a result (only one since). The guy at Great Hobbies told me to run the new motor in a glass of water for 15 minutes before mounting it, so that may have something to do with it as well. We are also running an identical battery in a more or less stock Mega Fury (also 2014 spec) as well.

The good old "breaking in" of the brushes! Indeed that can lengthen the life of the motor significantly.
Worth the try!

Hi

The brake-in proses will help the motor last longer but the 2s will burn it out sooner or later no matter what you do to it. You may wont to consider getting a better radio system that has EPA so you can dial down the throttle from 100% to about 85 or 90% throttle. Doing this will prevent the 2s from dumping all of its power into the motor and then fring it.

Hi

The brake-in proses will help the motor last longer but the 2s will burn it out sooner or later no matter what you do to it. You may wont to consider getting a better radio system that has EPA so you can dial down the throttle from 100% to about 85 or 90% throttle. Doing this will prevent the 2s from dumping all of its power into the motor and then fring it.
Good advice, thank you. We have 4 of the Arrma controllers (3 working vehicles) so that is probably not in the immediate future, but for the moment we have a spare motor and the goal is to eventually upgrade him to a brushless motor. I have a spare BLX motor, but no ECU (sorry, I meant ESC) for it. Considering getting one of those Castle combos because the ESC alone appears to cost almost as much as the combo. Of course, that will probably mean eventually switching out the differential with one from a BLX...

Hi

Yes I can see that. It may be a mood point, since my Castle Combo came in today and will be installed soon. Now just have to worry about transmission issues. I am new to all this, but according to the Castle Program Guide for the ESC, I may be able to set some settings to have it take it easier on the trans.

Well, the mega motor in my Fury lasted longer on 2s than any of our Titan 12ts ever did in the kids stampedes in NiMHs. I just cleaned out my box of toasted 12's...lol.

And the mega motor I have toasted, was due to abuse. 5000mah Lipo, and 4-6 inch deep, 10 ft long mud puddles. Even with motor cleaner and lubing the bushings, they don't like that for long. :D
Msgt- I found out about goolrc motor combo $40 with esc.. on amazon. There's multitude of good testimony and trials on YouTube. Can run with NiMH or 2s-3s lipo. I ordered one for me, waiting for delivery. My two kids killed the granite motor/esc about less than 2 months of driving on low cut grass. Even with religious cleaning of motor after every runs, and breaking in. I will send links after this message ...

Msgt- I found out about goolrc motor combo $40 with esc.. on amazon. There's multitude of good testimony and trials on YouTube. Can run with NiMH or 2s-3s lipo. I ordered one for me, waiting for delivery. My two kids killed the granite motor/esc about less than 2 months of driving on low cut grass. Even with religious cleaning of motor after every runs, and breaking in. I will send links after this message ... http://www.goolrc.com/oolrc-3122/?eq=0

Believe me, a 2S lipo will work with the MEGA ESC. Just make sure you set the plug to lipo (see manual).

It will make the car much more lively.
However, the stock 15t motor's brushes will not survive long. With my son's truck it only took 4 battery charges of 6000mAh
Well, it will run faster. I got a 5000mAh 90C 2S running for 4-5 runs already. It runs 5km/h faster than the stock battery. Let's see how long the motor will last. Will update you if the motor slows down permanently.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back