LiPo BALANCE/CHARGE & STORAGE HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hey guys,
I very recently purchased a Kraton 6s, and a few weeks later bought an 8s. I am new to LiPo batteries, and would like some simple answers regarding : balance/charge & storage modes. The charger I have is a "ProTekRC Prodigy 610ez. The batteries I have are:
1) For the 6s I have "gensacearespammers" 6s 22.2v 5000mAh 60C IC5 connectors, (X2).
1) For the 8s I have "Spektrum" 4s 14.8v 5000mAh 50C ICS connectors, (X4).
I read the charger instructions, contacted ProTekRC, and Horizon Hobbies. I now have (3) different answers to the above questions? They all agree that at this early stage in my LiPo powered RC knowledge, all I really need to worry about are the basics= Balance/Discharge and Storage modes. Will someone please tell me what the "screen" on my charger should read?
Thank you so much!
I'll try to post an 'avatar' of my 2 Kratons later today

Can't tell you about that charger, but for any lipo, you always balance charge, use the balance board with the small lipo connector. To put your lipos in storage mode they should read 3.8 volts per cell. The same goes for discharge, bring them down to 3.8V per cell. To charge those packs you posted, set charger for the number of cells in pack and set charge cutoff at 5000 mah, the charger will do the rest and quit charging when they peak. After you do it a couple of times setting your parameters, it's easy.

I'm almost in the same situation as you. I just bought a 6S Kraton, same charger, new to RCs and still haven't used any of it since it's a Christmas gift...

However, I have been doing a ton of reading and found this video for the charger. This shows him setting up a battery for charging (link starts at the right point in the video)

From what I've read, it seems really basic to use and everything pretty much sets itself up.

Can't tell you about that charger, but for any lipo, you always balance charge, use the balance board with the small lipo connector. To put your lipos in storage mode they should read 3.8 volts per cell. The same goes for discharge, bring them down to 3.8V per cell. To charge those packs you posted, set charger for the number of cells in pack and set charge cutoff at 5000 mah, the charger will do the rest and quit charging when they peak. After you do it a couple of times setting your parameters, it's easy.
Thank's arrmadillo,
Thank's arrmadillo,
The only other thing that I have have an issue with now, is what to set the amperage rate for each of the battery types when in both charge/balance & discharge mode? Would 5 amps be the best for both?
Thank's again for responding.
I'm almost in the same situation as you. I just bought a 6S Kraton, same charger, new to RCs and still haven't used any of it since it's a Christmas gift...

However, I have been doing a ton of reading and found this video for the charger. This shows him setting up a battery for charging (link starts at the right point in the video)

From what I've read, it seems really basic to use and everything pretty much sets itself up.
Thank's for sending what you have discovered, and the video. However, my 'charger' is very different.
Nice to hear from another newbie to LiPo. Good luck buddy!

Last edited:
Thank's arrmadillo,
The only other thing that I have have an issue with now, is what to set the amperage rate for each of the battery types when in both charge/balance & discharge mode? Would 5 amps be the best for both?
No problem! Yes set amps to 5 amps (1C), I always charge at 1C, some charge at 2C depending on the lipo, but I rather wait a little longer to charge than taking a risk of stressing the pack or losing longevity.

As far as discharging, if you set the charger at 5 amps, the charger should discharge at a lower rate, depending on the charger, that's why it takes so much time to discharge a full pack. Hope this helps.

Once again, thank's. However, I did make an error in my question. I was told that since I am new to LiPo batteries, the only (2) functions I need to be concerned with are 1) Charge/ Balance and 2) STORAGE, not "discharge" What would you suggest that that I set the the amps at in "storage" mode for both the 6s and 4s batteries. Thank's again for your time.

Thank's arrmadillo,

Thank's arrmadillo,

Thank's for sending what you have discovered, and the video. However, my 'charger' is very different.
Nice to hear from another newbie to LiPo. Good luck buddy!
Ah I see now, there is a big difference between protek prodigy 610ez and protek prodigy 610, weird!

Once again, thank's. However, I did make an error in my question. I was told that since I am new to LiPo batteries, the only (2) functions I need to be concerned with are 1) Charge/ Balance and 2) STORAGE, not "discharge" What would you suggest that that I set the the amps at in "storage" mode for both the 6s and 4s batteries. Thank's again for your time.
Storage should still be 1C as well. For example, assume you have a 5000mah pack, 5A.

Just set if for the rated charging amps. The charger does the rest and either discharges or charges as needed to 3.8v per cell and stops. the processs slows down as you go into balance mode toward the end of the storage cycle.

I know racers will do a deep discharge cycle on their lipo packs to make them more responsive, but for general use, just using balance and storage modes is all you really need for lipos.

I have a dynamite 4x100w/4x10A. I just set it to 10A on each channel and charge. My HRB and Hobbystar packs are fine to charge at 2C, but it doesn't quite reach 2C as it hits the 100W wattage limit and only charges at about 8A for the first 2/3 of the cycle, then as they get closer to full, it drops the amperage as it balances. Mine also maxes out at 5A for storage mode, so that's what I set it to.

Your 6S 5000mah pack requires 111W to charge at 1C, so you can set the charger to 10A and it won't get past 5A as it will also hit the wattage limit anyway.

The 4S 5000mah takes 75W/5A to charge at 1C, so it won't really charge it much over 1C either as it will hit the wattage limit around 6.5-7A.

FWIW, the spektrum 4S is rated to be capable of charging at 3C, listed here:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=SPMC1019

The gensacearespammers are rated for 2C, listed here:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-ace-6s-lipo-battery-60c-22.2v-5000mah-ga-b1036/p525236

I know racers will do a deep discharge cycle on their lipo packs to make them more responsive, but for general use, just using balance and storage modes is all you really need for lipos.

I have a dynamite 4x100w/4x10A. I just set it to 10A on each channel and charge. My HRB and Hobbystar packs are fine to charge at 2C, but it doesn't quite reach 2C as it hits the 100W wattage limit and only charges at about 8A for the first 2/3 of the cycle, then as they get closer to full, it drops the amperage as it balances. Mine also maxes out at 5A for storage mode, so that's what I set it to.

Your 6S 5000mah pack requires 111W to charge at 1C, so you can set the charger to 10A and it won't get past 5A as it will also hit the wattage limit anyway.

The 4S 5000mah takes 75W/5A to charge at 1C, so it won't really charge it much over 1C either as it will hit the wattage limit around 6.5-7A.

FWIW, the spektrum 4S is rated to be capable of charging at 3C, listed here:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=SPMC1019

The gensacearespammers are rated for 2C, listed here:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/gens-ace-6s-lipo-battery-60c-22.2v-5000mah-ga-b1036/p525236
Thank's for taking the time to look-up the batteries that I listed, and passing on your information.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Both the 4s 5000mAh and 6s 5000mAh batteries will be safe, when the charger is set at 5.0A in both
balance/charge and storage modes.

When I received the Kraton 6s and (2) 6s batteries, I charged one and took it out for a 15 minute test run. I brought it back inside, and connected the battery to the charger, set to "storage" mode at 5.0A, (following the advice from a Protek rc technician). After (4) hours, nothing happened. With the charger running, I called Protek rc and talked to a senior technician who said that the charger must be defective, and that he would replace it. That was over a week ago. I called back and was told that I should receive the new charger by the end of this week. The nearly fully charged battery has been sitting for all this time, nearly fully charged. I'm afraid that it may be ruined.

When the Kraton 8s, and (4) 4s 5000mAh batteries arrived, I opened the boxes, looked at everything and put it all in a closet. Oh well?

Thank's for taking the time to look-up the batteries that I listed, and passing on your information.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Both the 4s 5000mAh and 6s 5000mAh batteries will be safe, when the charger is set at 5.0A in both

When I received the Kraton 6s and (2) 6s batteries, I charged one and took it out for a 15 minute test run. I brought it back inside, and connected the battery to the charger, set to "storage" mode at 5.0A, (following the advice from a Protek rc technician). After (4) hours, nothing happened. With the charger running, I called Protek rc and talked to a senior technician who said that the charger must be defective, and that he would replace it. That was over a week ago. I called back and was told that I should receive the new charger by the end of this week. The nearly fully charged battery has been sitting for all this time, nearly fully charged. I'm afraid that it may be ruined.

When the Kraton 8s, and (4) 4s 5000mAh batteries arrived, I opened the boxes, looked at everything and put it all in a closet. Oh well?
The battery will be fine. You could simply use a 24VAC fan or bulb to drain some of the power off if you feel better about it. Just make sure you don’t over discharge it. That would be worse than leaving it full.

Do you have a volt meter? check to see how close it is to 3.8v per cell.

The battery will be fine. You could simply use a 24VAC fan or bulb to drain some of the power off if you feel better about it. Just make sure you don’t over discharge it. That would be worse than leaving it full.
I think you likely meant DC fan.

FYI @arelee most chargers have a very low discharge wattage rating. Yours happens to be 5 watts which is low indeed!
Connecting a DC fan or lightbulb will drain the battery significantly faster. I typically stop around 3.86v then move it to the charger to run a balanced discharge down to storage. I am using a dual fan made to plugin to the cigarette lighter in your car that draws around 20 watts oh high. It is pretty easy to connect some battery leads with alligator clips to the fan. It was a cheap $15.00 solution that I already had laying around.

Do you have a volt meter? check to see how close it is to 3.8v per cell.
The ( "charged" battery), reads23.7V on the volt meter. So divided by 6 cells=3.95V per cell . The other, battery, (NEW. Never been
charged), came up 22.8V=3.8V per cell. 3.95V is pretty darn close. Right??

The "replacement" charger just arrived. I'm setting the "storage" cycle at 5 amps. and praying for 3.8V.
The ( "charged" battery), reads23.7V on the volt meter. So divided by 6 cells=3.95V per cell . The other, battery, (NEW. Never been
charged), came up 22.8V=3.8V per cell. 3.95V is pretty darn close. Right??

The "replacement" charger just arrived. I'm setting the "storage" cycle at 5 amps. and praying for 3.8V.
Thank you all for your help and input!!!

Last edited:
To reiterate, storage charge mode should either discharge or charge depending on what voltage is actually in all the cells as seen by the charger. 5.0 amps is correct for 5000mah (1C). Bear in mind you may not see 5amps on the display if your lipo pack is near or just below 3.8v. And you wont see 5amps if the pack is above 3.8v and actually discharging. Chargers are limited and much lower for discharging. Chargers are different in how they display parameters, but 99% of them use the same charging algorithm. Based on Lipo Industry manufacturing standards. If the pack is well below voltage (at LVC cutoff), you will see the 5 amps of output. Hope this made some sense. Charging will become second nature after you do it over and over again. Blast On. (y)

To reiterate, storage charge mode should either discharge or charge depending on what voltage is actually in all the cells as seen by the charger. 5.0 amps is correct for 5000mah (1C). Bear in mind you may not see 5amps on the display if your lipo pack is near or just below 3.8v. And you wont see 5amps if the pack is above 3.8v and actually discharging. Chargers are limited and much lower for discharging. Chargers are different in how they display parameters, but 99% of them use the same charging algorithm. Based on Lipo Industry manufacturing standards. If the pack is well below voltage (at LVC cutoff), you will see the 5 amps of output. Hope this made some sense. Charging will become second nature after you do it over and over again. Blast On. (y)
Thank's again buddy.

I plugged the battery into the NEW, replacement charger, on "storage" mode. It worked!!!!!!! Now it's time to charge up the batteries and take the Kraton 6s, and its big brother out and have some fun!!!

I think you likely meant DC fan.

FYI @arelee most chargers have a very low discharge wattage rating. Yours happens to be 5 watts which is low indeed!
Connecting a DC fan or lightbulb will drain the battery significantly faster. I typically stop around 3.86v then move it to the charger to run a balanced discharge down to storage. I am using a dual fan made to plugin to the cigarette lighter in your car that draws around 20 watts oh high. It is pretty easy to connect some battery leads with alligator clips to the fan. It was a cheap $15.00 solution that I already had laying around.
Doh! Yep I meant 24vdc. I just typed the same thing again and my phone autocorrected to 24VAC.

Just make sure you ALWAYS balance charge. I also top off the batteries with a charge after balance charging.

Make sure you STORE your batts at 3.8v per cell if more than 1 day.

Thanks pretty much it. ALSO do not charge your batts if they were just ran. Let them cool off before charging again, LIPOS DO NOT like temperature changes and temperature changes while being charged

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back