Lipo Balance Charger problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N0isyknuckles

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I have a SkyRC imax b6 mini (legit one from rotologic) that seems to be having an issue with balance charging. I’ve used multiple 3s lipos and always balance charge or storage charge them and wait for them to cool down before charging. The issue I have is that cell #3 is now always higher on multiple batteries. The charger goes about 30 min and has the cells at approximately 4.16 4.16 and 4.20. One of the worst batteries goes to 4.08 4.08 and 4.20. The charger will continue to slowly work on the batteries and improve cells number #1 and #2 for the next hour or so. I have the charger set to 5 amps on balance charge and 2 amps on storage charge. I’m using 5000mh batteries. Any suggestions on what I should do? I’m about 2 weeks past my return date

I have a SkyRC imax b6 mini (legit one from rotologic) that seems to be having an issue with balance charging. I’ve used multiple 3s lipos and always balance charge or storage charge them and wait for them to cool down before charging. The issue I have is that cell #3 is now always higher on multiple batteries. The charger goes about 30 min and has the cells at approximately 4.16 4.16 and 4.20. One of the worst batteries goes to 4.08 4.08 and 4.20. The charger will continue to slowly work on the batteries and improve cells number #1 and #2 for the next hour or so. I have the charger set to 5 amps on balance charge and 2 amps on storage charge. I’m using 5000mh batteries. Any suggestions on what I should do? I’m about 2 weeks past my return date
Does that have a balance board or direct input

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 106
I run a venom rebranded (under traxxases name) and the voltage readings from the charger are usually off by a lot (0.05 volts high) so it does a weird thing where in the first 30 minutes it shoots from storage voltage all the way up to 12.6, but when you unplug the battery none of the cells are anywhere near the 4.2 the charger is reading. The charger never stops during this though, it just sits at 12.6 and continues to charge the lipos until they’re actually at 12.6 volts. In English, my charger knows what it’s doing and does it very well, but the numbers it displays are way off. It balances perfectly and beeps at me within 45 minutes for a good conditioned 3s lipo at 5600mah. I would firstly check to see if your chargers readings match multimeter readings. Now, I did see you mention that it will try and keep balancing for over an hour which is either a. The charger’s computer is going out or b. All of your batteries have dropped cells in the exact same configuration (1 and 2).

I've seen that charger all over eBay and Banggood but don't have one myself but I do have a HTRC C150 (another cheapish Chinese brand) which has a very similar screen, so maybe they might be have similar functionality? See if you have an Extra functions mode and then look for Balancer Lithium Battery option. I've used this to balance out cells horribly out of balance.
20200401_131221.jpg

Just a tip from my experience:

Do some extra non-charger balancing if you can spare the time.

I won't go into details because I don't want to be liable for anything. I have "rescued" single cells on a multi-cell pack. I have "balanced" cells across multiple packs. I have even discharged packs just to get them to balance.

Your charger can and will only do so much. Your example of your pack having two cells at 4.05 and a third at 4.2 can be worked with depending on how you want to go. I would check your IRs on those cells too.

You could discharge the 4.2 cell down to 4.05 and then balance the pack.
You could slow charge the 4.05 cells up to 4.15 and then discharge and balance the pack.
You could discharge the whole pack until all cells reach 3.8 and then slow charge the whole pack and discharge again.

Lipos take alot of care before, during and after use. Sometimes I don't charge one pack if I'm not certain I will use it.

Just a tip from my experience:

Do some extra non-charger balancing if you can spare the time.

I won't go into details because I don't want to be liable for anything. I have "rescued" single cells on a multi-cell pack. I have "balanced" cells across multiple packs. I have even discharged packs just to get them to balance.

Your charger can and will only do so much. Your example of your pack having two cells at 4.05 and a third at 4.2 can be worked with depending on how you want to go. I would check your IRs on those cells too.

You could discharge the 4.2 cell down to 4.05 and then balance the pack.
You could slow charge the 4.05 cells up to 4.15 and then discharge and balance the pack.
You could discharge the whole pack until all cells reach 3.8 and then slow charge the whole pack and discharge again.

Lipos take alot of care before, during and after use. Sometimes I don't charge one pack if I'm not certain I will use it.
I’m balance charging at 3 amps right now and they are staying very close. Idk why the 5 amp charge was making cell #3 get ahead.

I’m balance charging at 3 amps right now and they are staying very close. Idk why the 5 amp charge was making cell #3 get ahead.

That happens when the cell IRs are far enough from each other. The cell with the least internal resistance will be greedy and slow charging helps the other cells get their share.

That happens when the cell IRs are far enough from each other. The cell with the least internal resistance will be greedy and slow charging helps the other cells get their share.
I’ll check the IR when it’s done and see what’s going on

I just checked the IR when it finished this battery and it was 009 008 007. So cell #3 definitely had the least amount of IR

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back