Notorious Lipo batt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it bad to leave a fully charged Lipo battery sitting for a day. And what are some other no-no’s in the Lipo battery world?

More than enough information about lipo and everything else you need to know under “electronic”

6566888A-3801-4EB2-8514-572D7FE76C16.png

Lipo checker ftw.... Get one and learn that 3.8 to 3.85 per cell is storage, do not leave them charged to 4.2v per cell, unless you want to be like all the old plane guys at the field and have a dozen puffed lipo's lolol. Do not let them drop under 3v to 3.2v per cell. Once a battery is is under 3.8v per cell when you are done for the day bring it up to 3.8-3.85v per cell. Do not go by overall pack voltage, go by per cell voltage. Also as you can see below keep an eye on the balance of each cell, you can see these after a run need to be balanced even though they are basically at storage.

Just as an edit I hate "hate" lolol cell checkers that I have to flip through each cell. Show me all cells at once like a normal checker or be thrown in the trash lmao.

20221109_183604.jpg

Hey it happens.... I have left many lipos at full charge for days, even forgotten for a week or more, we have bad memories sometimes. Also chargers SUCK at discharging get yourself or make yourself an actual discharger, I use the ISDT FD-200 but I also have over 30 Li-po's so its justified to buy for me.

The main disadvantage of leaving a lipo charged:
-#1 at 4.2 volts per cell your lipo is the most volatile and if ruptured will be extremely violent. At 3.85v per cell very little excitement if punctured just mainly smoke. At 3v per cell some lipos Ive had did literally nothing when punctured.
-Pack will start to puff cells
-Once cells start to puff they loose performance
-At some point the pack will become unstable and may smoke/catch fire

Hey it happens.... I have left many lipos at full charge for days, even forgotten for a week or more, we have bad memories sometimes. Also chargers SUCK at discharging get yourself or make yourself an actual discharger, I use the ISDT FD-200 but I also have over 30 Li-po's so its justified to buy for me.

The main disadvantage of leaving a lipo charged:
-#1 at 4.2 volts per cell your lipo is the most volatile and if ruptured will be extremely violent. At 3.85v per cell very little excitement if punctured just mainly smoke. At 3v per cell some lipos Ive had did literally nothing when punctured.
-Pack will start to puff cells
-Once cells start to puff they loose performance
-At some point the pack will become unstable and may smoke/catch fire

seal of approval.jpeg

Oh my goodness I know I've forget a number of times, kind of scary thinking about it.

Adding to this degradation of the cells inside the pack can start to happen after as little as 12 hours especially in older packs. Most recommend 1-2 days maximum for best pack life.

As far as pack storage options you can either get a Bat-Safe or a metal ammo can with the rear hinge side of the seal removed, the bat safe is the better option but it costs like $60 compared to the $15-20 for the ammo.

When did Bat-Safe start making a mini? https://www.bat-safe.com/product-page/bat-safe-mini

Or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket https://zargesusa.com/products/batterysafe

Last edited:
You can charge your batteries whenever you want.

Moreover, unless you are discharging your lipos then charging them up again for another bash session, you should put them at storage voltage (3.8V/cell for standard lipos, 3.85V/cell for HV lipos) until the next charge cycle. Not doing this will tragically shorten the batteries lifespan, expecially if they're left fully charged. Next time you will charge 'em it will take less time since storage capacity is about 30-35%.

Another hint:
I'm quite new with Rc car's LVC but i noticed that my kraton cuts power when the lipos are about 3.5V/cell after recover and stops giving power to the motor when the're abhout 3.3V/cell after recover....well....that's not good.
Once the lipo recovers it should be at nominal voltage(3.7V/cell) and absolotely not below 3.5V/cell so it's a good practice to stop immediately when the power cut happens. Going as low as 3.3V/cell means that when the lipo was under load it surely went below 3.0V/cell, wich is deadly for lifespan.

Last edited:
yup ammo can ftw.... I have to many 12s packs, I need like 3 cans lolol

View attachment 271432

Whew, that's a lotta LiPo's! Can I ask how you like the anti-spark XT-90S connectors? I'm leaning towards changing my Traxxas connectors over to those, I like the anti-spark feature, which EC5 does not have (EC5 is the other I'd consider).

@blakeaowen15 , my preference would be to not leave it charged for a day. But maybe I'm just chicken. Once charged, I either run mine, or discharge them back down to storage, that day. To try and minimize time spent sitting around fully-charged.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back