Lipo Batteries for Granite 4x2 Boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaulPerezEstrada

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:
I just get a Granite 4x2 mega 550 boost brushed motor. I'm trying to understand about the batteries. The battery included in the kit is a 3300mmAhm NiCad with a Spektrum S120 charger.
I'm able to drive for around 13 mins. I was told in the shop that with LiPo batteries I will be able to drive for more time. The guy said 40 mins?
Is that realistic?
Other question, if go with LiPo is good, which type do you recommend? Do I need to change the charger as well?
Thank you

PS. If this question is already answered in other part of the forum, can you redirect me? Thank you!!

Welcome! There are lots of helpful links just above the open threads in the Electronics section.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...mistakes-of-2021-and-how-to-avoid-them.40327/
YouTube also has some great tutorials. Yes, you’ll need a new charger, LiPo safe charging bag, and most importantly, basic knowledge of safe LiPo use.
Don‘t hesitate to ask anything, no question is dumb and improper use and care of LiPo’s can be very dangerous.

Okay, you have a car with a brushed motor. With the provided NiMH battery it should give you decent life providing you clean the motor regularly (spray out the can profusely with electrical motor cleaner after each run). Once you move to a lipo battery with the extended use and higher power, that’s when your motor will begin to suffer. One good thing about the provided battery only running around 8 to 10 minutes is it forces you to rest the car. Of course if you only have one then you don’t get to run it very often.

Brushed motors heat up with extended use. If you monitor the heat and allow it to cool eas needed you should OK, as long as you’re also maintaining the motor. But if you use that 30 to 40 minutes of run time without monitoring temps, or poorly maintain it, that’s when you’re more likely to cause damage and eventually burn it out.

Also they simply won’t last as long as a brushless motor in higher rev situations. On top of this, Arrma doesn’t use the highest quality brushed motors. There are aftermarket ones that are relatively affordable…just depends upon how involved you get with the hobby. If you really get into it, brushless motors are your best option.

There are many affordable lipos out there. Decent chargers as well. You can spend as much or as little as you want with these. A basic 2s Lipo will run you around 20 to 25 bucks. A basic charger around 40. Mainly you just need to ask yourself ‘where are you headed with this hobby’? Is it completely addicting and you love it and will to stick with it for a while or is it just something you do to relax a bit. That will tell you how much you want to invest.

Welcome to the club(y).
I see you already found bashing buddies;).
When I saw your name I was like

Welcome! There are lots of helpful links just above the open threads in the Electronics section.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...mistakes-of-2021-and-how-to-avoid-them.40327/
YouTube also has some great tutorials. Yes, you’ll need a new charger, LiPo safe charging bag, and most importantly, basic knowledge of safe LiPo use.
Don‘t hesitate to ask anything, no question is dumb and improper use and care of LiPo’s can be very dangerous.
Thanks so much for the advise!!

Okay, you have a car with a brushed motor. With the provided NiMH battery it should give you decent life providing you clean the motor regularly (spray out the can profusely with electrical motor cleaner after each run). Once you move to a lipo battery with the extended use and higher power, that’s when your motor will begin to suffer. One good thing about the provided battery only running around 8 to 10 minutes is it forces you to rest the car. Of course if you only have one then you don’t get to run it very often.

Brushed motors heat up with extended use. If you monitor the heat and allow it to cool eas needed you should OK, as long as you’re also maintaining the motor. But if you use that 30 to 40 minutes of run time without monitoring temps, or poorly maintain it, that’s when you’re more likely to cause damage and eventually burn it out.

Also they simply won’t last as long as a brushless motor in higher rev situations. On top of this, Arrma doesn’t use the highest quality brushed motors. There are aftermarket ones that are relatively affordable…just depends upon how involved you get with the hobby. If you really get into it, brushless motors are your best option.

There are many affordable lipos out there. Decent chargers as well. You can spend as much or as little as you want with these. A basic 2s Lipo will run you around 20 to 25 bucks. A basic charger around 40. Mainly you just need to ask yourself ‘where are you headed with this hobby’? Is it completely addicting and you love it and will to stick with it for a while or is it just something you do to relax a bit. That will tell you how much you want to invest.
Thank you so much your been very clear.
Welcome to the club(y).
I see you already found bashing buddies;).
When I saw your name I was like
Jajaja yes my cousing jajaja

Hi guys:
I just get a Granite 4x2 mega 550 boost brushed motor. I'm trying to understand about the batteries. The battery included in the kit is a 3300mmAhm NiCad with a Spektrum S120 charger.
I'm able to drive for around 13 mins. I was told in the shop that with LiPo batteries I will be able to drive for more time. The guy said 40 mins?
Is that realistic?
Other question, if go with LiPo is good, which type do you recommend? Do I need to change the charger as well?
Thank you

PS. If this question is already answered in other part of the forum, can you redirect me? Thank you!!
Also, so you know... The 550 brushed motor and that stock ESC is 2s capable. Meaning you can get the spectrum 2s lipo with ic3 connecter and you can use your original charger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back