Kraton Lipo batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterk572

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Senton 3s
Does anyone know what the charge rate of a gens 6000mah 6s Lipo is. I’ve been charging at 1c rate but takes forever.

1c = 1x the capacity (in mAh)/1000, so for your battery, 6A.

A 6S LiPo has a nominal voltage of 22.2V, so that would mean you need a 133W charger. If your charger has a lower power output, you may not be getting 6A, thus it will take longer.

I’m
1c = 1x the capacity (in mAh)/1000, so for your battery, 6A.

A 6S LiPo has a nominal voltage of 22.2V, so that would mean you need a 133W charger. If your charger has a lower power output, you may not be getting 6A, thus it will take longer.
using the spektrum s2100 so it says it’s capable of 200w. It allowed me to select the amps. Is there any other batteries capable of a faster charge rate other then 1c?

Some say you can but in general the faster you charge it the faster it will degrade. I run gens and all their stuff says 1c max

If you are charging at 1C then it should, by definition, take 1 hour to charge a lipo from empty to full.

In actuality you never discharge a lipo to zero mah (3.27 V per cell), and hobby grade lipo chargers reduce the charge rate to a trickle as the battery approaches 4.2 V per cell. I have found these two factors cancel each other out and charging a discharged battery takes around an hour anyway.

You can charge at faster rates up to the capacity of the charger, but as others mentioned this will degrade your battery faster at best and at worst it could cause an already damaged (internal not even visibly damaged) battery to violently catch fire and burn your house down. This is a lipo chemistry limitation not a brand or quality limitation.

Long story short, stick to 1c.

I've been chargin lipos since they first came to the rc world. I haven't charged at 1c in a very long time. Even if the rear battery label says 1c max. Here is my 5200mah 6s charging at 20amp. I run a 600w 30amp 24v psu and a ISDT Q8, Fairly cheap setup maybe $100 total.

This is for informational purposes, sharing my experiences. Don't blame me for burnin up your house lol 🤣 . I attend my batteries when charging.
20210205_175712.jpg
20210205_175726.jpg

Does anyone know what the charge rate of a gens 6000mah 6s Lipo is. I’ve been charging at 1c rate but takes forever.
What is your definition of 'forever'?
What charger do you use?

Typical shopuld be ~30-45min (from storage 3.8V) if your charger is capable enough and the Lipo is healthy.
If your charger can't deliver more, a higher setting won't change anything.

What is your definition of 'forever'?
What charger do you use?

Typical shopuld be ~30-45min (from storage 3.8V) if your charger is capable enough and the Lipo is healthy.
If your charger can't deliver more, a higher setting won't change anything.
Takes about a hour with a 6000mah battery. Would like to cut that in half when on the field.

If you want to charge fast then I think more batteries is the answer as well as a parallel charging board and a beefy charger and power supply. I have the isdt Q8 charger maxed out at 20 A charging almost 40,000 mah worth of 4s batteries here which works out to 0.5C. It takes less than 1 hr to go from storage at 3.85V to 4.2V. It would take about 3 hours to charge them each separately and that is if you are on top of changing them out as they are done:

20201219_091235.jpg

If you want to charge fast then I think more batteries is the answer as well as a parallel charging board and a beefy charger and power supply. I have the isdt Q8 charger maxed out at 20 A charging almost 40,000 mah worth of 4s batteries here which works out to 0.5C. It takes less than 1 hr to go from storage at 3.85V to 4.2V. It would take about 3 hours to charge them each separately and that is if you are on top of changing them out as they are done:

View attachment 126000
Cool setup!

I've been chargin lipos since they first came to the rc world. I haven't charged at 1c in a very long time. Even if the rear battery label says 1c max. Here is my 5200mah 6s charging at 20amp. I run a 600w 30amp 24v psu and a ISDT Q8, Fairly cheap setup maybe $100 total.

This is for informational purposes, sharing my experiences. Don't blame me for burnin up your house lol 🤣 . I attend my batteries when charging.View attachment 125882View attachment 125883
You got the power

I don't recommend this for a first timer RC noob though just getting into the hobby 😆 lol.

Default spec is 1C i.e. you are at your own risk going to 2C. I couldn'ty find anything telling me otherwise. I have the same Lipo.

With a more powerful charger you can charge them Gens 6S at 2C no problem. Big time saver.

This is for informational purposes, sharing my experiences. Don't blame me for burnin up your house lol 🤣 . I attend my batteries when charging.View attachment 125882View attachment 125883
Curious as to what pack your charging at nearly 4C?

At most, I go up to 2C, but usually 1.5C or less. I use HRB 50C, CNHL 65C, Hobbystar 50C, Liperior 45C&65C packs. The HRB's are 1C rated, hobbystar are 2C, CNHL 5C, liperior's are 8C for the 45C and 10C for the 65C... which seems crazy to me. lol!

Honestly, for that you get a 2nd or 3rd Lipo.
Worst thing for a Lipo is to run it until empty and hot and hook it up to a charger and do a high rate charge. Let it cool down first.

That's the better way to go. Need to give your packs time to cool between using them and charging them. If I take one truck, I take enough packs to run it 3 times. Usually by the time I finish my 2nd send, the first set are cool enough to charge.

lol I charge anything from a 650mah 3s to a 5200mah 6s at 4c. The smalls sometimes get 5 and 6c.

Ive been are part of 3 different flight clubs. LOL they don't play. We all charge at insane c ratings. And I didnt get them started on it lol. Its just what us pilots do. lol. Been doing it a long time with very minimal effect. Just like our rc's its surprising when you push the envelope what they can really take and literally be fine.

Again caution, I have used lipos since they came to the RC world and don't recommend this for a novice, but if your experienced and you don't care much about your batteries and need them now, like at the flight field, then charge away.

Honestly, for that you get a 2nd or 3rd Lipo.
Worst thing for a Lipo is to run it until empty and hot and hook it up to a charger and do a high rate charge. Let it cool down first.
lol I charge anything from a 650mah 3s to a 5200mah 6s at 4c. The smalls sometimes get 5 and 6c.

Ive been are part of 3 different flight clubs. LOL they don't play. We all charge at insane c ratings. And I didnt get them started on it lol. Its just what us pilots do. lol. Been doing it a long time with very minimal effect. Just like our rc's its surprising when you push the envelope what they can really take and literally be fine.

Again caution, I have used lipos since they came to the RC world and don't recommend this for a novice, but if your experienced and you don't care much about your batteries and need them now, like at the flight field, then charge away.
What brand and C rating of lipo do you usually run?

1C is the lipo industry norm for RC rechargeables. Charging less than 1C will add better longevity to the lipo cells. How much more is questionable. With the way we beat the crap out of these lipos I cant see getting much more out of them charging at 1/2C for instance. But it cant hurt. May be a nuisance for most though. Getting multiple packs ready for a bash day and all. 1C is perfectly fine. Some packs are labeled 2C and higher. I never do that. I just never have and wont. MAh is rated to a 1 hour scale. Who is to say the cells of a particular brand allow a higher than 1C charge? I know some guys, who race and do just that even though the cells are not rated for higher than 1C. But they don't care about their lipos, the warranty and the liability. They want a hot lipo for that next race. And it makes a difference for them. And it works, but the Lipo industry states a lipo shouldn't be charged Hot/warm. The industry considers a lipo cooled down after one hour at rest. I wait about that long for my lipos to get to room ambient temps at rest before I full balance charge again or Storage charge them. Whether I bashed in freezing temps or in 90F+ temps. Fire risk and cell puffing is minimized. We all have our own lipo habits.
Just my thoughts. :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back