Lipo batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senton4x4

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I am new to the lipo batteries and I have a question. If I run 2 lipo batteries in series does the c-rating and mah add up? Like if I were to run 2-2s batteries that are 35c and 5000mah will all of that multiply times 2?

I am new to the lipo batteries and I have a question. If I run 2 lipo batteries in series does the c-rating and mah add up? Like if I were to run 2-2s batteries that are 35c and 5000mah will all of that multiply times 2?
In series you will be basically be creating a 4s, 35c, 5000mah battery. If you were to wire it up in parallel, you would be creating a 2s, 35c, 10,000mah battery. In series the c and mah rating stays the same and the voltage doubles and in parallel the voltage and c rating stay the same but the mah rating doubles.

In series you will be basically be creating a 4s, 35c, 5000mah battery. If you were to wire it up in parallel, you would be creating a 2s, 35c, 10,000mah battery. In series the c and mah rating stays the same and the voltage doubles and in parallel the voltage and c rating stay the same but the mah rating doubles.
Whats the difference between series and parallel? How can I tell which one is which?

Whats the difference between series and parallel? How can I tell which one is which?
Here is an image that I puled off of google images.
Parallel-verse-Series-300x238.jpg

With parallel, you are basically combining the + and - of both packs together. You end up with the same voltage as 1 pack, but double capacity and C rating.

When in series, the + from one pack goes to the esc, the - goes to the + of the second pack and the - of the second pack goes to the esc. This doubles the voltage, but retains the same C and MAH.

EDIT: @chevys10zr2003 posted an image while I was mindlessly typing.

I'm not grasping the C being the same in parallel. I would have expected that to double as well with the MAH.

Ok... after reading people blasting other people on other forums about C rating, your "C" stays the same, but the total current you can pull doubles. Current (amps available)=C*capacity apparently. In my mind "C" was current, just another way to say "AMPS" in a more basic way.

Still not sure I get the relevance. Regardless, packs in parallel increases the capacity and available current. Packs in series increases the voltage while capacity and amps is the same as the lowest single pack in the bunch.

Last edited:
With parallel, you are basically combining the + and - of both packs together. You end up with the same voltage as 1 pack, but double capacity and C rating.

When in series, the + from one pack goes to the esc, the - goes to the + of the second pack and the - of the second pack goes to the esc. This doubles the voltage, but retains the same C and MAH.

EDIT: @chevys10zr2003 posted an image while I was mindlessly typing.

I'm not grasping the C being the same in parallel. I would have expected that to double as well with the MAH.
The C rating stays the same because the MAH is being double and the C rating is figured in regards to the MAH rating. So since you are doubling the MAH, you keep the same C rating and the available amps is doubled.

The C rating stays the same because the MAH is being double and the C rating is figured in regards to the MAH rating. So since you are doubling the MAH, you keep the same C rating and the available amps is doubled.
Yeah, in my head, "C" rating is amps. While I understand the C rating of the individual packs don't change, I was still thinking the C rating would double like the amps overall.

Great clear info provided here. Good find chevys10zr2003, especially with pictures included. Pictures speak a thousand words. Well, maybe not that many...Everyone can also wire up multiple subs now...LOL
No more multiple subs for this guy. I have enough hearing loss from my Kicker L7's back in the day haha.

No more multiple subs for this guy. I have enough hearing loss from my Kicker L7's back in the day haha.

Ha, ha. I know what you mean, as I've had a few big car stereo's in the day. I used to have my subs pressing right into the back of my bucket seats in my 1st gen V8 S10, and yeah you could sure feel it (the subs almost drowned out the V8, but not quite...LOL)

I guess I still have not learned, as my home theater includes 7 Paradigm studio V5 speakers & a SVS sub that peaks at 3300 watts. You can feel the sub pressurize the room and then it feels like it sucks the air right out of you when something blows up in a movie. Gun shots, etc are so realistic, I swear one of these days the neigbors are going to call the cops thinking someone's firing a gun at our place? It's all good though, as my wife loves the movies, just not the sports (and those are hard to find). What's that, I didn't hear you....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back