Lipo battery and charger help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanard

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
I'm looking at buying a Lipo battery charger, my batteries are 5.2amps and need a charger suitable.

My question is, can you charge a 5amp battery with a charger that has a max charge output of 3amps?
I assume you can, it will just take longer to get to its peak voltage?
Or, do I need to buy a charger that has a charge output of 1-6amps instead of 1-3/4/5?

Thanks in advance,

Fanard

I might be wrong, but I believe you can do that but as you said it will take longer as it's only getting 3A. I have a charger that only goes to 6A, and I use it for a Lipo that can support (12.5A typo) 13A charge. It seems fine to me, no ill effects to my Lipo yet, but I'm no expert.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but I believe you can do that but as you said it will take longer as it's only getting 3A. I have a charger that only goes to 6A, and I use it for a Lipo that can support 12.5A charge. It seems fine to me, no ill effects to my Lipo yet, but I'm no expert.
I assume your battery capacity isn't 12,500mAh though, it just has a charge rating of 3c or something similar? I believe your normally meant to charge at 1c which is just 1 to 1 so my battery is 5000mAh and so it should be charged at 5amps unless its stated on the battery that it can be charged at higher amps e.g. 3c charge rate.
Thanks for the help, i also assumed it would be okay but just take longer to charge.

I assume your battery capacity isn't 12,500mAh though, it just has a charge rating of 3c or something similar? I believe your normally meant to charge at 1c which is just 1 to 1 so my battery is 5000mAh and so it should be charged at 5amps unless its stated on the battery that it can be charged at higher amps e.g. 3c charge rate.
Thanks for the help, i also assumed it would be okay but just take longer to charge.
Yes, right...The battery is a 6500mAh and has a 2C charge rate therefore 2x6500=13,000.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back