Granite LiPo battery dangers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenniePaz

Reaction score
So I just read the "How to store a LiPo battery", and I have to say, I had no idea how dangerous these batteries can be. I'm starting to second guess getting into the battery RC scene. Are guys in that thread being super anal, or is that really how things are with LiPo batteries? I'd hate to be going to bed every night wondering if my batteries will explode, burning my house down while I'm sleeping.

So I just read the "How to store a LiPo battery", and I have to say, I had no idea how dangerous these batteries can be. I'm starting to second guess getting into the battery RC scene. Are guys in that thread being super anal, or is that really how things are with LiPo batteries? I'd hate to be going to bed every night wondering if my batteries will explode, burning my house down while I'm sleeping.
They usually only go up in flames if they are mistreated.

Don't worry about it. If you charge and store them safely you're fine. 99% of the time when they go up it's because the user is being a retard. Also buy quality batteries and not the cheapest you can find.

The best thing is just to be aware. Use the proper charger, don't charge higher than 1c. Store them in a metal ammo case. You can get them at sporting good stores, ebay. Charge them outside if your uneasy about it. don't leave them unattended while charging. I charge mine in the garage while mowing the lawn, working on the car, etc. Lots of good videos on youtube. Get good name brand packs. Gen ace, Venom, Dynamite. etc. I recommend hard case batteries, they hold up very well.

You'll be fine because it appears that you'll respect the chemistry and this is all it takes. Learn what we're working with and treat them well like anything. Chainsaws are dangerous too but we all know how to handle them. Once we get too confident or take anything for granted, they could bite back. It's not as bad as it looks or they say when we research because most writers are trying to promote safety first..which is a good thing. If we understand and appreciate what we're working with, we can make our own decisions ...and anyone here that can navigate a forum or be successful in life should be just fine with practical precautions. Respect and understanding is all it takes. You'll find all the help you need here and every vet on this forum is gonna share best practice with safety first.
No need to avoid lipo batteries because it's really the ideal way to run our vehicles these days. Not just trucks but all modern RC vehicles are running lipos now for best performance and power management.

I wa the same when i was modding nerf guns i was scared of lipos like a cat now meh. If your not using a innapropriate lipo or running a lipo on an rc car who demands more than what the lipo can give you wont really have any security problems. If you puncture/trow/over discharge them overcharge them/ bassicly threating them like an idiot then they will bite your as s. Repect them as they respect u

I bought this charger, so I won't need that discharger, correct? Also, are you guys storing the batteries in a safety box because it's a must, or are you guys being super cautious?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P863S9D/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_m7ojEbXCDG2VV?&tag=arrma-20

I bought this charger, so I won't need that discharger, correct? Also, are you guys storing the batteries in a safety box because it's a must, or are you guys being super cautious?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P863S9D/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_m7ojEbXCDG2VV?&tag=arrma-20
I use the Discharger because it takes forever to discharge lipos with my charger. And I use the box, because u never know what could happen. And I'm storing the lipos in my house, so it gives me a good feeling, and I don't have to worry about anything.

I use the Discharger because it takes forever to discharge lipos with my charger. And I use the box, because u never know what could happen. And I'm storing the lipos in my house, so it gives me a good feeling, and I don't have to worry about anything.
Why are you using an external discharger??? Don't you run your packs after you charge them? I understand sometimes a rig breaks before the lipo hits LVC. And sometimes we charge a set of lipos palnning to bash, but plans change and you don't want fully charged lipos sitting around for a while unused. Bad for the cells and dangerous at worst. And most chargers can handle that.
LVC will bring them usually to a discharged state and ready for a Storage Charge. Even if the Lipo pack is above 3.8v (storage voltage), most any Charger will be able to discharge or charge to 3.8v Automatically in a short length of time. And lower rate discharging will yield better longeveity to the cells. :)

Last edited:
Why are you using an external discharger??? Don't you run your packs after you charge them? I understand sometimes a rig breaks before the lipo hits LVC. And sometimes we charge a set of lipos palnning to bash, but plans change and you don't want fully charged lipos sitting around for a while unused. Bad for the cells and dangerous at worst. And most chargers can handle that.
LVC will bring them usually to a discharged state and ready for a Storage Charge. Even if the Lipo pack is above 3.8v (storage voltage), most any Charger will be able to discharge or charge to 3.8v Automatically in a short length of time. And lower rate discharging will yield better longeveity to the cells. :)
For some reason my charger should discharge at 3 amps, but it doesn't. It discharges at 0.9amps. And I searched around for a cheap solution, so the FD100 came to my mind, and the reviews were great. My charger works fine, balances and charges as it should. With the the help of the FD100 I can discharge and with the charger, charge at the same time.

Ive got a father and son hobby, but my son doesn't always drives the lipo which I charged to the end. It happens that 1 or 2 are fully charged left. So this thing is really handy. I'm also not too long in the hobby, and I break stuff, so yeah I've got often lipos left ?

For some reason my charger should discharge at 3 amps, but it doesn't. It discharges at 0.9amps. And I searched around for a cheap solution, so the FD100 came to my mind, and the reviews were great. My charger works fine, balances and charges as it should. With the the help of the FD100 I can discharge and with the charger, charge at the same time.

Ive got a father and son hobby, but my son doesn't always drives the lipo which I charged to the end. It happens that 1 or 2 are fully charged left. So this thing is really handy. I'm also not too long in the hobby, and I break stuff, so yeah I've got often lipos left ?
I got ya. My 10 yo will commit to a day of RCing and his plans change after I have 6 Lipos ready to go. I never seen a charger that only discharges at .9amps. A standalone disch helps. I can discharge at 2 amps max. but that works. I have a two channel charger. Does double work. I also have a Tenergy 5in1 lipo checker that will slowly discharge. I can get 3 packs done at the same time. But at .9 amp disch. rate, will take several hours for sure.

I got ya. My 10 yo will commit to a day of RCing and his plans change after I have 6 Lipos ready to go. I never seen a charger that only discharges at .9amps. A standalone disch helps. I can discharge at 2 amps max. but that works. I have a two channel charger. Does double work. I also have a Tenergy 5in1 lipo checker that will slowly discharge. I can get 3 packs done at the same time. But at .9 amp disch. rate, will take several hours for sure.
I've only one port. I don't know why it doesn't work? but in the end it doesn't bother me at all.

Nice to hear that you've got a good time with your son too! Mine is 5 but handles the mini e revo really good for his age.

I have this discharger and use it rarely where I'll have a few ..say 6s.. packs charged and break the truck or change my mind and need to discharge or maybe use my charger to charge some 3s packs while I discharge the 6s. It was $35 cheap, works fine and figured it's nice to have. Used it a lot more with quads because I broke or lost those constantly. What I don't like at all are how small the indicating led lights are.

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-Dischar...eywords=isdt+discharger&qid=1579563615&sr=8-2

I have this discharger and use it rarely where I'll have a few ..say 6s.. packs charged and break the truck or change my mind and need to discharge or maybe use my charger to charge some 3s packs while I discharge the 6s. It was $35 cheap, works fine and figured it's nice to have. Used it a lot more with quads because I broke or lost those constantly. What I don't like at all are how small the indicating led lights are.

https://www.amazon.com/ISDT-Dischar...eywords=isdt+discharger&qid=1579563615&sr=8-2
That's the same that I use. Led could be brighter, and it could be quieter

That's the same that I use. Led could be brighter, and it could be quieter
True, it has strangely loud fan noise. I usually put the pack on and throw it all in a lipo bag and zip it up. Also gets warm but not warm enough to scare me in the bag.

True, it has strangely loud fan noise. I usually put the pack on and throw it all in a lipo bag and zip it up. Also gets warm but not warm enough to scare me in the bag.
You've got some balls ?I'm to afraid to do so. I discharge my 4s 6750mah at 6amp,and the FD100 gets quite hot. I've got the lipos in the box and the FD100 next to it.

Did u had problems with the 4 screws on each side? Mine were loose, the thread was done..

You've got some balls ?I'm to afraid to do so. I discharge my 4s 6750mah at 6amp,and the FD100 gets quite hot. I've got the lipos in the box and the FD100 next to it.
oooh...I only use it at 2amps because I usually am not rushed. It powers off so I pretty much just forget about it until I need the pack again. Hasn't caused any trouble for me yet.

real simple
don't be afraid they are easy if you follow the rules
balance charge before charging
don't charge over 3a
when you are done using balance charge (if you are using again soon)
or
storage charge if not using over a week

i use a lipo bag
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N52KN5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
this one can hold like 4 lipos

if you are concerned get an ammo box like this
https://www.ruralking.com/ammo-can-metal-green-50-cal

put the lipo bag IN the ammo box and you are pretty much bomb proof

follow these rules and you should be fine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back