LiPo Battery Fix - Possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Is there an online or group of people who service/repair LiPo batteries?

Issue it is now only showing 2 cells for a 3S 5500mha battery

I have a new GenA battery I bought Nov 2020. I have used it for less than 15x and well cared for. Last time I used it two weeks ago:

• Storage charged at 3.8
  • Charged it to 4.2
  • Used it in RC
  • Successfully storage charged it to 3.8v
  • Pull it out just now it will not charge and shows only 2 cells 2S
Checked it with many checkers all say 2S now.

Fixable I just got this and have used it maybe max 9x

No that thing is toast. Lipos are weird and do that sometimes it was probably dieing and you didn't notice or a short somewhere in the pack that killed the cell slow enough to not puff etc. Order a new one and send off the old one in tyle and let er blow or be square and "safely" discharge and toss it.

I'd agree^^ and also just the safety factor of trying to separate the cells and wires can be an accident waiting to happen. Best case scenario would be separating the dead cell and having a 2s pack but like I said that is not an easy task and for the cost of a new 3s pack just not worth it to try

Unless you know what you are doing, leave it alone. Fully discharge to 0V and dispose.
--
If you know what you are doing. Do this n a fire/smoke safe environment. Outside patio is ideal.
Open the heatshrink (NOT the silver protective casing of the actual cell) where the wires enter and see if you have a loose wire.
You have 1 of 3 possible issues.
#1 balance wire broken or ripped off - easy to re-solder, also check the connector pin, might just be bad
#2 one of the actual taps going into the battery is broken, most likely the first or last cell - very difficult to resolder, my success is at 10%
#3 the actual cell is dead - you can copnvert the Lipo to a lesser cell count.

You will need a DMM and solder station/good solder iron to work your way through.

If any of the above sounds unfamiliar, don't even try it. Overheating a lipo with soldering or puncturing the silver foil will end in Lipo fire/smoke.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back