lipo battery got damaged is it ok to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechge234

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
my 6s lipo battery got damaged on the corner is it ok to use still?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would not use that nor even charge it. Limo can be pretty dangerous if not used properly. I’d be sending that back. Or at least ask for a replacement. They might not even have you send it back as damaged as it is. But that’s just my two cents worth.. hope you get a new one though.

my 6s lipo battery got damaged on the corner is it ok to use still?

View attachment 161532

View attachment 161533
I’ve ran worse myself, but I’m really cautious about giving advice based on the risk level I’m ok with.

It’s like asking, is it OK to do 5 or 10 over on the highway? You’ll get many different answers. Some guy will be like “I do 150mph in my F-150” and another will say “I never even do the speed limit, why waste the gas”

Shout out to my brother @Glock21user

The entire battery isn't trashed just as a heads up, just that top cell looks to be compromised you could easily make it a 5s or 4s lipo.

Use extreme caution when doing this. I know @olds97_lss has done this a few times so he might some more insight on the ease of how to do this.

The entire battery isn't trashed just as a heads up, just that top cell looks to be compromised you could easily make it a 5s or 4s lipo.

Use extreme caution when doing this. I know @olds97_lss has done this a few times so he might some more insight on the ease of how to do this.
I would rather just buy a new can of biscuits. 😜😜

I would rather just buy a new can of biscuits. 😜😜
You wouldn't toss out your car because 1 wheel broke? So why toss out a perfectly good lipo because 1 cell is damaged?

You wouldn't toss out your car because 1 wheel broke? So why toss out a perfectly good lipo because 1 cell is damaged?
I can replace a wheel easily. Without risk of fire.

I can replace a wheel easily. Without risk of fire.
If you pay attention to what you are doing there is no risk of fire. If you don't pay attention that is when the fit can hit the shan.

If you pay attention to what you are doing there is no risk of fire. If you don't pay attention that is when the fit can hit the shan.
Just keep your + away from your (-) and it's all good. A little electrical tape can help mitigate shorting DC.

Personally I think just running his battery, providing all cells balance and resistance the same, is safer than getting the scissors out...
This. I would charge it slowly at maybe 0.1 C and check resistance (don't leave it unattended). If all cells are equal then it is probably ok to use with caution.

If you do decide to do surgery on it, make sure you discharge it slowly to ~3.3V first. Risk of fire is very low at that charge.

I have built hundreds of packs by now, and would remove that cell in 5 min. Some packs are easier than others to work on depending on cell orientation and connection method. Some cell tabs are soldered and some are crimped together, but in some cases you can literally just cut the tab off and remove the dead cell with no soldering. If one Is not familiar with batteries it might not be a task for them. First I would check with sender and shipping company about getting a new one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back