LiPo battery puff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaNero

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask about LiPo batteries being charged to full and left for a few days before use. Is this OK, or do they need to be drained to half if not used immediately? First time LiPo user here. I have a new Nero with Diff Brain and 2x 3s Onyx 5400mah batteries. Charged them up 2 or 3 days ago and when I went to plug them in one was slightly puffed to the point where it made the package tense. It ran fine and neither of the batteries got past warm after a run at the local park on grass and dirt. Also got chased by a dog . Here's a few pics of the batteries after the run.

20170528_115454.jpg
20170528_115435.jpg
20170528_115438.jpg

There really wasn't a change in the level of puffing. Now that they've cooled off all signs of puffing is gone. Just wanted to ask before charging them up again. This would be the second run/charge cycle. I also didn't run them till the car shut off, just till I noticed less power at launch. Well, it wasn't much less. All cells are above 3.70v right now.

If you are throttle heavy maybe you ask for too much power and the 35C of the Duratrax ain't enough.

Can't suggest you to keep or recycle them since I don't have any puffed lipo.
(Except one Turnigy but I took no chance and toss it at the Ecocentre)

Do you balance charge when charging .?
If you have charged the Lipo on fast charge that might have killed a cell maybe ?. I would put it a your safe charge bag if you use one just to be safe. Then if your charger has a feature that tells you if a cell is dead then it's time to get rid of it.

I use the venom pro duo and it tells me the voltage of each cell and it was able to charge all the cells to 4.2V. Would a dead cell be able to charge up? I always use the balance charge and have not used the fast charge or regular charge setting.

Same issue here with the duratrax lipos.
My lipos from Hacker and SLS have no "blow up effect".

Recommended storage voltage differs from brand to brand.
In the manuals of my chargers is mostly written 3,8V per cell.

My personal view is that the Duratrax made very cheap inside or they write not the real facts outside.
Why I feel that? My 3S SLS have a lower C-rate by nearly same amps than the Duratrax but they never getting warm or hot.
Duratrax was recommended from Arrma but I think that two pacs was the least ones that I had buy.
I future just known brands....

My personal view is that the Duratrax made very cheap inside or they write not the real facts outside.
Why I feel that? My 3S SLS have a lower C-rate by nearly same amps than the Duratrax but they never getting warm or hot.
Duratrax was recommended from Arrma but I think that two pacs was the least ones that I had buy.
I future just known brands....

I also believe this about Duratrax. They seem to sell for a high price with inflated stats. I highly recommend looking for SMC or gensacearespammers lipos.

Thanks, I'll look them up. I wonder if I can return the Onyx batteries. They are 2 weeks old.

I also believe this about Duratrax. They seem to sell for a high price with inflated stats. I highly recommend looking for SMC or gensacearespammers lipos.
I have read a good amount bad about Duratrax batteries but I am guessing that they are recommended by Arrma as they are both Hobbico brands. Why would they recommend you to go to a different brand when they can tell you to go there so that they get more money?

I have read a good amount bad about Duratrax batteries but I am guessing that they are recommended by Arrma as they are both Hobbico brands. Why would they recommend you to go to a different brand when they can tell you to go there so that they get more money?

That's another reason not to go for them, their opinion is biased.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back