Lipo battery state of charge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldgoat

Reaction score
I’m have questions about what I would call state of charge. After running I will call that dead, after charging it’s charged. Somewhere in the middle is storage.
Questions are
How soon after dead should I put it on for storage? Can it be left dead till next few days before charge?

How long can I leave it charged before use?

If I put a storage charge and can’t use for a while how much time before restorage charge?

Is restorage a word?

Just want to try to take care of these and make them last. If you can answer or lead me to a post I would appreciate it.

I’m have questions about what I would call state of charge. After running I will call that dead, after charging it’s charged. Somewhere in the middle is storage.
Questions are
How soon after dead should I put it on for storage? Can it be left dead till next few days before charge?

How long can I leave it charged before use?

If I put a storage charge and can’t use for a while how much time before restorage charge?

Is restorage a word?

Just want to try to take care of these and make them last. If you can answer or lead me to a post I would appreciate it.
Dead is considered storage for the most part. By time you hit lvc, the cells are within a couple points of storage level.
And kind of on restorage. Except we call that discharging.

Lipo IR is the measure of the health of the lipo. It builds over time. It builds fastest when discharged too fast, too low, or over charged. It builds somewhat fast when voltage is less than 3.7v per cell. It builds slowly at full charge. It builds the slowest at storage charge.

Use those principles to guide your decisions.
If you can storage charge your lipos at the end of each day after running them, they should last a while.

Don't go by feelings, simply wrong. Get a cheap lipo cell checker/meter and take out the guesswork.

< 3.6V Dead - anything below 3.6V creates permanent damage. Bring to storage ASAP.
3.75V-3.85V - storage voltage. Long term stable charge
>3.85V long term damage occurs. Ok to leave above storage pending charge level but I would not keep them charged for longer than a week.

For a healthy lipo, you should stop running and Lipo recovers to > 3.7V within a minutes or so.

Running it lower will drastically influence performance and lifecycle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back