Kraton Lipo Battery Temperatures... What's safe and What's not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a couple of mine hit 65c a few weeks ago ! 2 x 2s 5000 drained in 8/9 minutes in a kraton !
Theyre now a littled swelled... Not much but enough to keep an eye on and use once more before i decide to chuck them or not.

Had a couple of mine hit 65c a few weeks ago ! 2 x 2s 5000 drained in 8/9 minutes in a kraton !
Theyre now a littled swelled... Not much but enough to keep an eye on and use once more before i decide to chuck them or not.
Let us know how old were they what brand 65c is what fahrenheit

Its about 150f....
Redback 2s... 30c with 60c burst
Got these about november last year... Been good in my rustler so used them in my kraton. They were fine the first few times but went out in a day that was 34c so i think it was just too hot a day anyway which didnt help. Didnt seem that hot coz we were in the low to mid 40's for the whole week before. I'm in Aus....

Its about 150f....
Redback 2s... 30c with 60c burst
Got these about november last year... Been good in my rustler so used them in my kraton. They were fine the first few times but went out in a day that was 34c so i think it was just too hot a day anyway which didnt help. Didnt seem that hot coz we were in the low to mid 40's for the whole week before. I'm in Aus....

Also 30c is too low

Do not just ask for the temperature...
The main thing is that you have to check how many amps you´re system takes under full force. (Motor, ESC, Servos)
If you know that, take an battery which have enough power to cover long time the needed amps (mA multiplied with C-rate)
But take care, some manufacturers lies concerning the C-rate. The write just the max. short time discharge rate onto the Lipo´s.
Normally the Lipo should not be much warmer as you're hand. Never gone hot!
In every case that the Lipo where hot after the run, something did not fit. (C-rate or mA of the Lipo / taken to many amps by the motor)

In my Nero I drive 3S, 5500mA 50C battery´s. They just getting a little warm...

Also 30c is too low
Yeah i know... Should be 35+ But pretty much everything local is 30c... An i already have 4 of them. They do work ok... I just pushed them a little too hard on a hot day.
Ive got some turnigy 30-40c and they work better... And were also half the price ! And ive now got a couple 65c 6s too.
Will get some more soon but will get some 40/50c to try out

Do not just ask for the temperature...
The main thing is that you have to check how many amps you´re system takes under full force. (Motor, ESC, Servos)
If you know that, take an battery which have enough power to cover long time the needed amps (mA multiplied with C-rate)
But take care, some manufacturers lies concerning the C-rate. The write just the max. short time discharge rate onto the Lipo´s.
Normally the Lipo should not be much warmer as you're hand. Never gone hot!
In every case that the Lipo where hot after the run, something did not fit. (C-rate or mA of the Lipo / taken to many amps by the motor)

In my Nero I drive 3S, 5500mA 50C battery´s. They just getting a little warm...
That is just why i made this post so we could get input like yours. There are a lot of newbs myself included who have gotten into this hobby and need feedback or an understanding on how lipo batteries and rc car systems work hand in hand. thank you for your reply/input.

The batteries work well around 90-100 F. Here they have low resistance and nothing is getting harmed.

@BigShow823, oh, I think some people knows more about this theme than me, but if I can give informations, I will do so. ;)

@Vanning, Yes, but these temperatures means the range where the Lipo gives the most power with less resistance.
While discharging with high power the cells will getting warm or hot depends of their inner resistance. Like in earlier times the NiCd or NiMh.
These cells where so hot that you fells burning you're fingers while putting them out of the car.
Thats why a good charger can show you the inner resistance of you´re battery.
By the way,.. if you knows that the next drive will be far in the future, put your battery to storage voltage and keep them cold (not into a freezer!). Just charge them shortly before the next using! :)

When you go to dispose of those swollen batteries, here are the disposal instructions I received from BIAS / VENOM, when I received a brand new puffy battery. If you just toss them in the trash, you may end up with a flaming trash car or flaming trash truck.

Instructions:

• Fill a bucket or small container with enough water to fully submerge the battery.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of salt per 8 ounces of water.
  • Submerge the entire battery including wires with the label facing up in the salt water solution.
  • Leave the battery in the solution for 3-4 days after which the battery can be safely disposed of with your household garbage

Water and salt together (like an soft shortcut over an resistor) will discharge the Lipo completely within 3-4 days.
They want prevent that maybe two cells of an 3S pack are maybe OK and they get an shortcut in the trash.
That will burn the Lipo with very high temperature which will set all other things on fire.
You can also discharge each cell to the lowest level which you´re charger can and after that take an resistor and discharge cell by cell.
If you can't measure any voltage at the cells, you can shorcutten them. Then it will be also impossible that the old pack can make "puff" into the trash. Here in Germany it´s recommended to give the battery back to the dealer and not into the trash, because of the material inside the battery which can be recycled.

I know why I am charging my battery´s in a heavy metal cooking pot.
Since around ten years I do use Lipo and in that time I had just one accident (production failure), but a lot swollen packs.
The reasons for the swollen packs?
Mostly me because of overloading or taken to much power out of the pack or smash down of the plane and and and...

Well my 65c 6s didnt last long ! One run and puffo ! Getting a new one under warranty so all good.

Im disposing the easy way... Battery world take them and do it for free :)

Well my 65c 6s didnt last long ! One run and puffo ! Getting a new one under warranty so all good.

Im disposing the easy way... Battery world take them and do it for free :)
Could you let us know what brand and why you think it happened?

When you go to dispose of those swollen batteries, here are the disposal instructions I received from BIAS / VENOM, when I received a brand new puffy battery. If you just toss them in the trash, you may end up with a flaming trash car or flaming trash truck.

Instructions:

• Fill a bucket or small container with enough water to fully submerge the battery.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of salt per 8 ounces of water.
  • Submerge the entire battery including wires with the label facing up in the salt water solution.
  • Leave the battery in the solution for 3-4 days after which the battery can be safely disposed of with your household garbage
Thanks for this information

Could you let us know what brand and why you think it happened?

Thanks for this information
Its a turnigy basher 4000 6s... 65-90c
Wasnt all that hot outside (32c) and the car wasnt running hot. I ran two turnigy2s before it and they had almost no heat comimg off them.
The 6s was warm/hot but not hot hot. My guess is it dipped under lvc or just a faulty battery ? Either way i send hobbyking some photos of it plugged into a battery/volt tester and i have a new one in the post already coming to me under warranty... They reckon it was just faulty

Discharged a battery 2 days in salt water i shouldve took more pics but didnt think of it but i have this one .
20170316_180700.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back