Kraton Lipo Battery Usage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drughi

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
This is my first time using Lipo Batteries and a bit worried after seeing many reviews of smoke fire etc.

My query is you charge the batteries (balance Charge) a night before to use between 2-3 days after, if for some reason I do not manage to use how do i discharge. Can this be done by the charger?

Also they say not to drain your batteries, it means that at a certain time while driving the car i have to stop or the batteries will show this (you see the car too slow) and need to be changed?
Also after a good drive you need to recharge to full or else for storage, does it have to be within the same day?

Thanks

Always balance charge prior to running. I don't like charging the night before a run but rather charge as close to the run.

Do not leave lipos fully charged for days. For some reason you don't run them that day, you will need to discharge them to storage charge. This is something your charger should be able to do.

After running your lipos you will have to put them in storage mode for the next time you use them. You can do this when you get home.

Your rig should have LVC cutoff that warns you that your lipo is low. Never run them past LVC, and never drain them down. LVC is set at different levels from different makes, around 3.2 to 3.4V per cell. At lvc the car will slow and esc will blink, immediately stop running and disconnect the lipo.

Lipos are safe as long as you know what you're doing and treat them right like I outlined above. I've been running them for 15 years with no problems. There are many threads about lipos in here, just do a search
Also many good write ups online. Sure someone will provide some links for you soon. Don't be paranoid using them but at the same time respect them, and in no time you will be a pro!??

@arrmadillo said all you need to know! They’re not as dangerous as you might think. Quick visual inspection after every run to make sure it’s not puffed, or punctured (soft packs) and you’ll Be fine. Just treat them right as he said above (always storage charge) happy bashing !

Trying to simplify this into 3 key points:

1. Put it into storage mode if not using them today or tomorrow.
2. Look into a LiPo safe bag for storage and to use during charging. (most of us throw them in a lipo bag which is inside of a metal tool box due to number 3 below)
3. Find a good/safe place to store them indoors, they do not like extreme heat or cold.

All of these steps are to keep the battery's life as long as possible and to keep them "safe"

-Liberty

Trying to simplify this into 3 key points:

1. Put it into storage mode if not using them today or tomorrow.
2. Look into a LiPo safe bag for storage and to use during charging. (most of us throw them in a lipo bag which is inside of a metal tool box due to number 3 below)
3. Find a good/safe place to store them indoors, they do not like extreme heat or cold.

All of these steps are to keep the battery's life as long as possible and to keep them "safe"

-Liberty

I put them in my wood fired oven and it is outside. temperature in Winter does not go below 0 and in Summer the oven is approx 50 deg Celsius.

I bought a bat safe too.

I was always under the impression that storing indoors at 60-78 degrees F was ideal, but this graphic from Battery University says otherwise. I would imagine between 2-4% difference is not noticeable.

battery storage.JPG

I was always under the impression that storing indoors at 60-78 degrees F was ideal, but this graphic from Battery University says otherwise. I would imagine between 2-4% difference is not noticeable.

View attachment 50494
That's interesting, but since I don't live in a igloo I guess 4% it is. Lol

View attachment 50494
Wow, that difference between 40% and 100% charge is huge. Hence why to use storage mode.
I do wonder how they stored a lipo for a year at 60 degrees celsius? :unsure:

I suppose it is also another good reason to buy a company's latest battery model. Very possible to get one that has been sitting on the shelf for a year or two and already missing 8% to 10% of its capacity.
That's interesting, but since I don't live in a igloo I guess 4% it is. Lol
I am going to move my battery box into the 2nd fridge out in the garage lol
The wife isn't going to like that! :sick:

Last edited:
I suppose it is also another good reason to buy a company's latest battery model. Very possible to get one that has been sitting on the shelf for a year or two and already missing 8% to 10% of its capacity.

If you have the room, buy a dorm fridge just for your packs.

I've heard of people talk about storing lipos in the fridge, but don't know anyone that does this. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I keep my fridge at 35/36° and home in the 70s, so don't know if there will be a huge benefit.

Also heard of people that store them in the garage. I live in the deep south so summer is scorching in garage, but in deep winter it gets cooler, but temps rise throughout the day which doesn't keep temps consistent. This is why I keep them inside where the temps are consistent. I would hate to wreck all my packs by doing the fridge thing which seems sketchy to begin with.
Thoughts anyone?

I’ve avoided the garage all summer but now that temps peak in the 70s they are back in the ammo can inside a fireproof cabinet

I've heard of people talk about storing lipos in the fridge, but don't know anyone that does this. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I keep my fridge at 35/36° and home in the 70s, so don't know if there will be a huge benefit.

Also heard of people that store them in the garage. I live in the deep south so summer is scorching in garage, but in deep winter it gets cooler, but temps rise throughout the day which doesn't keep temps consistent. This is why I keep them inside where the temps are consistent. I would hate to wreck all my packs by doing the fridge thing which seems sketchy to begin with.
Thoughts anyone?
I suspect keeping them indoors is really the best thing.
LiPos might be ok with storage cold, but when you pull them out there would be condensation on them. (Large amounts for us in the south/humid climates)
Also LiPo's perform best when warm. I don't like the idea of pulling my packs out of the fridge and then waiting 4 hours for them to slowly come up to room temps.

-Liberty

I suspect keeping them indoors is really the best thing.
LiPos might be ok with storage cold, but when you pull them out there would be condensation on them. (Large amounts for us in the south/humid climates)
Also LiPo's perform best when warm. I don't like the idea of pulling my packs out of the fridge and then waiting 4 hours for them to slowly come up to room temps.

-Liberty
I agree, just wanted input from others, not that I was planning on doing this. Like you said the condensation, constant temperature extremes seems more harmful than good. I'll just keep doing what I've always done and keep them inside.
Thanks! ?

My garage is dry as a dead dogs d!ck in the winter, so no condensation there.

Why is that, you run heat in there?
Nah it’s really dry here in the winter for the most part. But I don’t usually park anything in the garage so the floor stays dry. I also have a bunch of shi!t that soaks up any little bit of moisture. I could probably leave descant packs out in the open and they would still be fine ?

Nah it’s really dry here in the winter for the most part. But I don’t usually park anything in the garage so the floor stays dry. I also have a bunch of shi!t that soaks up any little bit of moisture. I could probably leave descant packs out in the open and they would still be fine ?
Winters here are humid, everything sweats, not much different than summers. The price you pay living in the deep south. Kind of sucks though, would like to have dry winters.

View attachment 50494

I'm in the UK so I can easily do the 0 degree storage...???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back