Lipo battery use update. SMC gets ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading this thread for a couple of days and was not going to comment but decided to. I have 2 SMC packs I'm not happy about. One is a 3s with 2 charges that is puffing, read on here that SMC says its normal, but 2 runs in a Rustler?

Other 3s pack has never been run sitting at storage voltage. Puffed and case is split open. These packs sit inside my home and not abused. The split pack is in my garage now and will get some picks up tomorrow and contact SMC. Ive always praised SMC on this forum many times, but from my recent experience, feel I can't do that anymore.

I've been reading this thread for a couple of days and was not going to comment but decided to. I have 2 SMC packs I'm not happy about. One is a 3s with 2 charges that is puffing, read on here that SMC says its normal, but 2 runs in a Rustler?

Other 3s pack has never been run sitting at storage voltage. Puffed and case is split open. These packs sit inside my home and not abused. The split pack is in my garage now and will get some picks up tomorrow and contact SMC. Ive always praised SMC on this forum many times, but from my recent experience, feel I can't do that anymore.

When you have an issue with a product it's always best to contact the company and see if anything can be done. Our warranty doesn't cover packs that swell/expand/puff unless there is an issue with one of the cells. Feel free to contact me so I can get more info about these 2 packs and figure out what can be done.

If you're gonna spend serious cash on lipo batteries get Max amps they give you a life time warranty and will replace your batteries.
"Lifetime" for the life of the battery, first year is free second year is half price. So you are still paying for 2.5 batteries for every battery of theirs you buy hence the reason they charge you 2.5 times as much as everyone else.

I would never waste my money on a Maxamps battery. Their batteries are not any better than anyone else's, independent testing puts them as the worst battery on the market to buy, so I see no need to buy their products.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23629251&postcount=16

I've been running a few brands of lipo batteries to get experience with each. The only brand that I'll never buy again is SMC.

Today my SMC 5000 mah, 90C 6S lipo cut out in a rig 5mins after running and batt was fully charged. I pulled it and it was swole and busting out of the hard case. Charger won't even recognize it when i plug it in to discharge it. I also have an SMC 5000 mah, 90C, 4S that my son runs. While he was running his today his power was greatly reduced 15mins into the run, but would oddly still run. I figured LVC but it still had 30% charge on it.

I also have HRB, Zeee, gensacearespammers Lipos and all treated equally and have had no issues with any of those brands.

The SMC lipos are the newest Lipos I have. Won't buy that brand again.

View attachment 60670
I had 2 of those do the same thing one after another...smc sucks!! Turnigy or goldbat all the way...NEVER had a problem with either one of those for some time now.

I had 2 of those do the same thing one after another...smc sucks!! Turnigy or goldbat all the way...NEVER had a problem with either one of those for some time now.

The original poster had a cell go bad in his pack and we are sending him a replacement. All he had to do was contact us and we would of figured this out. After my posting on this thread he has reached out to me and things are sorted out. You claim you had the same issues it's up to you to contact us and we can sort things out. If there really is an issue with a cell in a pack and it's within 1 year of date of purchase we will replace it free of charge. Not sure why everyone feels like they should get online and just trhash a company without even seeing what the company can do for them. Guess this is the new world we live in where people like to complain publicly to make them feel better.

"Lifetime" for the life of the battery, first year is free second year is half price. So you are still paying for 2.5 batteries for every battery of theirs you buy hence the reason they charge you 2.5 times as much as everyone else.

I would never waste my money on a Maxamps battery. Their batteries are not any better than anyone else's, independent testing puts them as the worst battery on the market to buy, so I see no need to buy their products.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23629251&postcount=16
Excellent read. Thanks. (y)
Lipos to me are a luck of the draw. They all suck. IMO. We just keep buying them because we need them. We buy what we feel is the best at the moment. Hold our breath and share the experience. But there is no be all end all. This is true of most diff. battery chemistry's. This holds true going back to Nicads in the 1980's. I would buy a gross of Sanyo Purple 'C' cells and take weeks matching the best cells in groups. Charging/discharging, measuring data. Grouping the best matched 6 cell batches. In the end I could get maybe 4 '6 cell' packs soldered( Gold Bars) and deemed competitive for racing. The rest were just bench and practice packs. Some cells were garbage and tossed. That was the cheapest way to get decent high amp packs back then. 24 cells out of 144 (1 gross). Cost $120.-$150/Gross. Still the cheapest way to go back then. Batteries were always a mixed bag. IMO. Racing back then required a pack to go 5 minutes. DNF's were common because of poor batteries.

Last edited:
The original poster had a cell go bad in his pack and we are sending him a replacement. All he had to do was contact us and we would of figured this out. After my posting on this thread he has reached out to me and things are sorted out. You claim you had the same issues it's up to you to contact us and we can sort things out. If there really is an issue with a cell in a pack and it's within 1 year of date of purchase we will replace it free of charge. Not sure why everyone feels like they should get online and just trhash a company without even seeing what the company can do for them. Guess this is the new world we live in where people like to complain publicly to make them feel better.
It's pretty obvious that he didn't even bother to read any posts in this thread.

@Wmorgan it would probably be a good idea to update the first post to let people know that they are making things right.

Last edited:
Why don’t you. You are a mod.

Because it was his deal and I do not want to put words in his mouth nor is this a reason for editing someone else's post. I'll reword what I wrote.

It's pretty obvious that he didn't even bother to read any posts in this thread.

@Wmorgan it would probably be a good idea to update the first post to let people know that they are making things right.
Done. Will folks get a notice regarding the edit?

Done. Will folks get a notice regarding the edit?

No. Anyone who has been following the thread I am sure has seen the posts between you and Danny, and knows that they made things right. It's more for those drive by posters, the ones who read the first post then just respond without reading the rest of the thread.

Wrong..sorry your products and customer service is crap..and im not new to the world..and i don't have to complain or trash any brand unless i feel the need to tell ppl about what crap to stay away from..i had 2 batteries do the same thing within a freakin month. JUNK! DEFEND your product if you want..your suppose to. U wont stop me and many others complaining about your batteries..after the first batterie crapped out i took it strait back to my lhs and they gave me another battery which i gladly took and probably had 3 cycles on and it puffed up on charge with everything set correctly..it was on a really simple charger then caught fire in my dam house and destroyed a few things..needless to say i still use that charger with my turnigy and goldbat batteries and have probably had well over 100 cycles on with NO problems..guess companies are so sensitive about the complaints they get from customers who aint scared to warn others not to waste their money..im not gonna go back and forth with a sensitive person like yourself bc you wont accept the simple fact that SMC sucks..

Wrong..sorry your products and customer service is crap..and im not new to the world..and i don't have to complain or trash any brand unless i feel the need to tell ppl about what crap to stay away from..i had 2 batteries do the same thing within a freakin month. JUNK! DEFEND your product if you want..your suppose to. U wont stop me and many others complaining about your batteries..after the first batterie crapped out i took it strait back to my lhs and they gave me another battery which i gladly took and probably had 3 cycles on and it puffed up on charge with everything set correctly..it was on a really simple charger then caught fire in my dam house and destroyed a few things..needless to say i still use that charger with my turnigy and goldbat batteries and have probably had well over 100 cycles on with NO problems..guess companies are so sensitive about the complaints they get from customers who aint scared to warn others not to waste their money..im not gonna go back and forth with a sensitive person like yourself bc you wont accept the simple fact that SMC sucks..
Whoa there man. Next time you go off you can always warn me, I’ll make sure to metaphorically hold you back so you can do the whole “let me at him” thing lol

I'm not trying to trash talk any company here just stating my experience, I'm not about that. I just got back in the hobby and purchasrd 5 SMC lipos whick cost me a chunk of change. 3 out of 5 have puffed, all 3s packs. My 6s and 4s pack has not been used yet. 2 of my 3s packs has (two) cycles and noticed puffing after first run. My third 3s pack has NEVER been run and so puffed the hardcase is split. Total voltage on this pack is 11.45V. Cell 1, 3.823. Cell 2, 3.818
Cell 3, 3.816, never been on a charger.
Pic 1 pack one
Pic 2 pack 2
Pic 3 both
Pic 4 and 5 pack 3

Attachments

• 20200121_162814.jpg
    20200121_162814.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200121_163245.jpg
    20200121_163245.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200121_163733.jpg
    20200121_163733.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200121_163452.jpg
    20200121_163452.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200121_163436.jpg
    20200121_163436.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 46
I'm not trying to trash talk any company here just stating my experience, I'm not about that. I just got back in the hobby and purchasrd 5 SMC lipos whick cost me a chunk of change. 3 out of 5 have puffed, all 3s packs. My 6s and 4s pack has not been used yet. 2 of my 3s packs has (two) cycles and noticed puffing after first run. My third 3s pack has NEVER been run and so puffed the hardcase is split. Total voltage on this pack is 11.45V. Cell 1, 3.823. Cell 2, 3.818
Cell 3, 3.816, never been on a charger.
Pic 1 pack one
Pic 2 pack 2
Pic 3 both
Pic 4 and 5 pack 3
Lol..smc is JUNK man..facts are facts. The guy just acts like we are complaining for fun..smc are expensive..bullshit c rating and really just junk!! Smc sucks!!
Whoa there man. Next time you go off you can always warn me, I’ll make sure to metaphorically hold you back so you can do the whole “let me at him” thing lol
yeah man...was just sharing my experience and that SENSITIVE as he referred to me, butthurt smc rep or whoever she....is..got upset. Facts are facts..by ALOT of ppl

Lol..smc is JUNK man..facts are facts. The guy just acts like we are complaining for fun..smc are expensive..bullshit c rating and really just junk!! Smc sucks!!

yeah man...was just sharing my experience and that SENSITIVE as he referred to me, butthurt smc rep or whoever she....is..got upset. Facts are facts..by ALOT of ppl
Absolutely man. I will never discourage someone from voicing their opinion, especially with the experience to back it up. Hope your luck improves with other stuff.

While I understand people are having issues here, can we at least give @Danny/SMC some credit here for taking his time to come here and try to help y’all? He doesn’t have to do that and yet, here he is. At least you can do is be respectful and take him up on his offer to make things right. If after you go thru that process and still feel you aren’t taken care of, then come back and let us all know. It sounds like he is willing to stand behind his products. Give it a try. When he does take care of you, be sure to come back and let us know.

Thank you Danny.

While I understand people are having issues here, can we at least give @Danny/SMC some credit here for taking his time to come here and try to help y’all? He doesn’t have to do that and yet, here he is. At least you can do is be respectful and take him up on his offer to make things right. If after you go thru that process and still feel you aren’t taken care of, then come back and let us all know. It sounds like he is willing to stand behind his products. Give it a try. When he does take care of you, be sure to come back and let us know.

Thank you Danny.

This, he is seriously the first vendor that I have seen come here just to make things right with the customer if that doesn't say something about his customer service that apparently "sucks" and that he is willing to stand behind his products then Idk what else to tell ya.

Absolutely man. I will never discourage someone from voicing their opinion, especially with the experience to back it up. Hope your luck improves with other stuff.
Thank u sir
This, he is seriously the first vendor that I have seen come here just to make things right with the customer if that doesn't say something about his customer service that apparently "sucks" and that he is willing to stand behind his products then Idk what else to tell ya.
U don't have to tell me anything..i wasnt asking anything for one. Was giving my experience with 2 smc batteries that "$ucked"...and he said i needed to go public and complain..to make myself feel better..lol, thank danny?? You wont get a thanks danny from me. I was taught manners when i was a child and know when to use them..i didnt ask for his opinion or smart ass comment when all i was doing was sharing my experience that SUCKED! THANKS

Last edited:
Thank u sir

U don't have to tell me anything..i wasnt asking anything for one. Was giving my experience with 2 smc batteries that "$ucked"...and he said i needed to go public and complain..to make myself feel better..lol, thank danny?? You wont get a thanks danny from me. I was taught manners when i was a child and know when to use them..i didnt ask for his opinion or smart ass comment when all i was doing was sharing my experience that SUCKED! THANKS

Well you did attack his products on a public forum and did it rather rudely at that. What else did you expect for him to do, just roll over and play dead? Go tell Wendy's on Twitter that their food sucks and see what happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back