Lipo charging station

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 15389 View attachment 15390 View attachment 15391 I’m pretty happy with the way this came out, so I thought I share it with everyone. I used a metal ammo box and some 3/4 galvanized pipe. Pretty easy build I still use the Lipo bag as well. Figure over kill is a good thing here.

Just my opinion but heat rises so you might want to put a couple holes in the top. You're not going to get good airflow through the ammo box with only one hole for the air to go in and out of. Great idea though. Looks great.

I have the HTRC 150AC/DC Duo, which looks a lot like this charger. Got it on Amazon for $109. I wanted a charger to keep in my car for 12V charging so I didn't have to lug around my 4x100w dynamite charger. My car has the battery in the trunk and I used 5ft of 12awg wired directly to the battery posts using high current eyelets vs alligator clips to power it. My only grip is that it didn't have a power switch, so you have to plug/unplug the connector all the time, which is annoying. I wired in a 40A switch into the DC supply. Was a pain finding a spot to mount it because that charger has almost no free space inside. This was the only spot I could find:
2018-0328-HTRC-H150ACDCDuoSwitchInstalled01.jpg

Seems to work fine on my 2S packs at 12A per port. Will also use it to charge my friends 3S packs.

Just my opinion but heat rises so you might want to put a couple holes in the top. You're not going to get good airflow through the ammo box with only one hole for the air to go in and out of. Great idea though. Looks great.
Thanks, The 3/4 pipe is how it vents. I didn’t want any fire coming out of a hole on top if a battery did fail while charging. I want to contain the fire as much as possible. Plus I still use Lipo bags as well can’t be to safe. The charger has a build in temp and I see no difference in temp while charging in the box vs outside of it. Now I’m charging inside my shop (no a/c) and I live in north Florida. Whole reason behind it is worst case scenario keeping my shop from burning to the ground. Can’t stand by my charger the whole time it charging. Wanted to be able to walk away and just check on it.

This is a nice setup...one thing to consider is the sheath on the wires. You could try for plenum rated (or similar) type wire casings which would minimize the fuel added to a fire, minimize smoke, etc.

That has inspired me though!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back