Lipo fire, keep your stuff locked up guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many amps should I use to charge my new Lipos? They're supposed to really help the vehicle explode off the line...

CgsvdJ_WwAEfexF.jpg
At a 4C rate. Duh! It says it right on the label...(boom!)

That sucks and glad there was minimal damage.

Was the box outside? Heat isn't good for lipos. I forgot one in my the back of my 4runner and it puffed up in a day and it doesn't get that hot here. I as lucky it was only a battery.

Even an isulated box will get hot/cold inside given enough time.

No it was indoors, temps inside the cointainer never really raise over 80 degrees. It has an ac unit attached for those really hot days.

Left work last night after locking up my tool container. Its a (26 foot insulated box from a box truck). Came in to work this morning and found my lipo bag had went up overnight. All my batteries are always left at storage charge so im confused how everything happened. Thank goodness nothing else caught fire. Coulda lost 80% of my cars.

Looking through the pile it looks like it came from one of my 9500 CNHL batteries. Any idea if they would warranty something like this, and if so how?View attachment 218303View attachment 218304View attachment 218305View attachment 218306View attachment 218302View attachment 218307
For my own sanity I got a few questions. How old was the battery you think started it? How many cycles? Also were they stored with other batteries? Did it cause them to explode? How many batteries did you have inside the lipo bag that on the pic? Is there anything else you can add to detail Appreciate your time.

UPDATE: CNHL Customer service rocks. After contacting them and sending them my previous order information and photos of the damage they will be sending me some replacement lipos! Including my non CNHL brand ones!

Seriously no hassle with these guys.

Screenshot_20220629-212758_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-212636_Gmail.jpg

UPDATE: CNHL Customer service rocks. After contacting them and sending them my previous order information and photos of the damage they will be sending me some replacement lipos! Including my non CNHL brand ones!

View attachment 226638
View attachment 226639
I second that. It's some of the best customer services I've seen. They are on the ball and actually answer emails, unlike Castle sucks for customer service, at least in my experience.

View attachment 226638
View attachment 226639
Wow, that’s fantastic because some serious money went up in smoke, literally! Glad CNHL took care of you. Call them back immediately and say “hey man, what about your BOGO sale today, shouldn’t I get double?”

Wow, that’s fantastic because some serious money went up in smoke, literally! Glad CNHL took care of you. Call them back immediately and say “hey man, what about your BOGO sale today, shouldn’t I get double?”
Literally just bought some extra lipos, good customer service gets repeat business from me.

Literally just bought some extra lipos, good customer service gets repeat business from me.
Damn skippy!
Great batteries too! Some of the best out there.

Only own 2 CNHL batteries so far, but they've been great for me. 4s 6200's @$50 each that run for almost as long as my bro's TRX 6700's that cost $150 each..he gets 5 minutes more runtime.. stock Xmaxx's. I call that a win! 😎🤘🍻

View attachment 226638
View attachment 226639
Yeah, Jasmine hooked me up too. I had ordered 2x 4S 8000mAh batteries from them, but they sent me 2x 4S 8200mAh Li-HV instead. I was a little non-plussed about the 12AWG leads so I asked her if they would send me a return postage label and instead send me a pair of the 9500mAh 4S lipos. She said the warehouse wouldn't send me a return label but she would talk to her manager about sending the 9500s. A week later the 9500s arrived. Another week later the two 8000s I initially ordered arrived. Their customer service is hard to beat.

For my own sanity I got a few questions. How old was the battery you think started it? How many cycles? Also were they stored with other batteries? Did it cause them to explode? How many batteries did you have inside the lipo bag that on the pic? Is there anything else you can add to detail Appreciate your time.
I am also curious about this, were the batteries ever over discharged? got too hot? high current draws? A battery going up in flames sitting at storage charge is no joke and very concerning...

Glad they took care of you but I would sure hesitate on using this brand after an incident like that.

20211130_005748.jpg

20211130_005626.jpg

Or just use sand. Might be even better than Lithium fire granules. They are too dusty for my taste.

I am also curious about this, were the batteries ever over discharged? got too hot? high current draws? A battery going up in flames sitting at storage charge is no joke and very concerning...

Glad they took care of you but I would sure hesitate on using this brand after an incident like that.
Nope I tend to keep a close eye on my temps and regularly check my cell voltages after runs. I also check regularly for physical damage. I keep a voltage checker in my glove box at all times. I used those specific lipos in my Mojave when it was set up for the street and my K8S. I also don't really "bash" too hard either, never had any breakages on my kraton. Its all still stock. I keep chargers at my home and shop just to make sure and can get all my lipos at storage voltage after use.

I want to chalk it up to just bad luck. Especially when so many other people have been using the same batteries with little to no issue. Honestly they have been some of the best batteries I have used especially at the price point. Lots of the other cheap batteries I have used tend to take longer and longer to balance and I have had many swell after a few uses. I hadn't had any isssues with the CNHL batteries in the approximately 6-8 months I had them.

Nope I tend to keep a close eye on my temps and regularly check my cell voltages after runs. I also check regularly for physical damage. I keep a voltage checker in my glove box at all times. I used those specific lipos in my Mojave when it was set up for the street and my K8S. I also don't really "bash" too hard either, never had any breakages on my kraton. Its all still stock. I keep chargers at my home and shop just to make sure and can get all my lipos at storage voltage after use.

I want to chalk it up to just bad luck. Especially when so many other people have been using the same batteries with little to no issue. Honestly they have been some of the best batteries I have used especially at the price point. Lots of the other cheap batteries I have used tend to take longer and longer to balance and I have had many swell after a few uses. I hadn't had any isssues with the CNHL batteries in the approximately 6-8 months I had them.
Thanks for the info.

This thread did not help either: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/chnl-batteries-are-junk-at-least-for-safety.50663/

I use ammo boxes.
This box holds 6 large Lipo bags.
Each Lipo Case holds (1) 6-8S, (2) 3S, (3) 2S Hard packs.
Thats allot of Lipo in one case.
These are rather blast proof.

View attachment 227566

View attachment 227567
View attachment 227568
They seem like a good option as well.

Members say you should remove the rubber seal or leave them cracked. If an incident were to occur the pressure would be insane.. Might end badly if the can is sealed.

If you were creative I could see making your own battery safe by finding what filter media they use and drilling your own holes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back