Infraction LiPo insulation / warming for winter speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
If you have been living under a rock and part of the speed run world.... Having your Lipo warm makes a significant difference for its ability to deliver power.

Now that it is shifting to winter and we want to speed run.... what can you do to keep your batteries warm?
Sitting on an aluminum chassis the heat will leave the lipo in mins on a cold day! Even isolated from the chassis when your LiPo is 110F+ and Ambient temps in the 30's F. they will cool down FAST!

Here is what I have come up with, but interested in seeing any other ideas you have to carry us through the winter season.

The wife has lots of foam board left over from a prior project. Good insulator, very lightweight, and rigid to hold the shape I want.
1668710059875.png

Cut to fit and duct tape together. In my case I oversized a hair to fit hand warmers in with the LiPo.

(ONYX RC Power Systems shout-out @vwturbowolf )

1668710131015.png

Leave 3 sides of the top un-taped so it opens like a door:

1668710190447.png

I made some notches for the wires to come out through. You could do this more accurately if you wanted a better seal.

1668710247665.png

2nd layer of insulation by using a LiPo Safe bag.

1668710294662.png

Any other ideas out there? I'd love to hear em!

Last edited:
Cheapo method -
Re-use the leftovers padded envelopes from your favorite delivery service (Fedex)..

$$ -
Use the padded radiant barriers.

Cheapo method -
Re-use the leftovers padded envelopes from your favorite delivery service (Fedex)..

$$ -
Use the padded radiant barriers.

I had thought about those radiant barrier foam pieces made for garage doors and other home insulation use cases.
I would imagine those would work great but might add some 40+mm width to the overall size.

Try throwing a hot hands packet in there to raise/maintain the temperature?

Yep thats exactly why I included that in the write-up. It is something I have been doing for a while....
I doubt they raise the temp but help maintain it. I also found they take about 1 hr to get to their hottest temps (120-130F )

Last edited:
Yep thats exactly why I included that in the write-up. It is something I have been doing for a while....
I doubt they raise the temp but help maintain it. I also found they take about 1 hr to get to their hottest temps.

Doh! I skimmed the post on my phone and totally missed it!

Doh! I skimmed the post on my phone and totally missed it!
No worries ;)
I was using them this summer inside the lipo-safe bag and probably just wasting money....
They get a little pricey when you consider using 6 per outing.

Heating your LiPos with the 1:1's defroster turned up seems to be the best method still for initial heating.

The best insulation period is the closed cell spray foam insulation,stuff is absolutely insane,but not so much available to the public.insulation is measured in r-value.you would want more of a air sealant, something air cannot go throu.check this stuff out,it has a spongy soft texture,an you can push your finger into it an it'll go right back to its original shape...it's really unlike anything else I could compare it to..I think it would work great for this application.BTW I've been a journeyman insulater for the past 15yrs mostly do big commercial jobs.ive seen an handle every possible type on insulation ever made..

Screenshot_20221117-133157_Chrome.jpg

The best insulation period is the closed cell spray foam insulation,stuff is absolutely insane,but not so much available to the public.insulation is measured in r-value.you would want more of a air sealant, something air cannot go throu.check this stuff out,it has a spongy soft texture,an you can push your finger into it an it'll go right back to its original shape...it's really unlike anything else I could compare it to..I think it would work great for this application.BTW I've been a journeyman insulater for the past 15yrs mostly do big commercial jobs.ive seen an handle every possible type on insulation ever made..

View attachment 256824
Very cool, I'll have to check that model of foam out.
Those metal guns are nice too as they re-seal

Very cool, I'll have to check that model of foam out.
Those metal guns are nice too as they re-seal
Those guns are 50-100$ depending on brand..if ya want 1 I can send you a new hilti gun..company I work for gos throu so much low-expanson door an window foam that we get them for free.i have 4,5 of them guns laying around...here's another idea that could possibly work..there's many different styles of these out there

Screenshot_20221117-141855_Chrome.jpg

Those guns are 50-100$ depending on brand..if ya want 1 I can send you a new hilti gun..company I work for gos throu so much low-expanson door an window foam that we get them for free.i have 4,5 of them guns laying around...here's another idea that could possibly work..there's many different styles of these out there

View attachment 256826

Thanks for that offer. Hilti was the brand I used to use at an old job.
I'll keep you posted if I end up wanting/needing one. For now I think I am ok.

Those 12v heat strips are interesting for sure.

I'm glad this has been brought up. Last winter I got a low power heat mat for my lipos. 😂 It's actually a mat for germinating seeds 😂

As I charge them in the garage it gets 🤬 cold out there and it really kills the lipo run time... Lvc in under 4 mins 🤔

But I've been a bit apprehensive about using it too much tbh.

I did though get a sheet of fire proof board, I charge /store them in a steel tool chest, so I'm gonna line it with this stuff ...

Screenshot_20221117_212527_com.android.chrome.jpg

Maybe for a carefully planned world record attempt? And that wouldn’t be in the middle of winter when you have no grip, right? Y’all are clearly insane. Take some deep cleansing breaths and go back and read this post. There is no shame in therapy…
I love you, man.

This place is FULL of gold and determination. I really like it here lol. 👍

View attachment 256826
I think I'm about to order stuff to make my own heating bag. Half out of need and half out of "I think it's FN awsome"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117-174744_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117-174744_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Maybe for a carefully planned world record attempt? And that wouldn’t be in the middle of winter when you have no grip, right? Y’all are clearly insane. Take some deep cleansing breaths and go back and read this post. There is no shame in therapy…
I love you, man.
Shocked Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back