Lipo or nimh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rto_13

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I am trying to decide if i should go lipo or nimh on my granite mega. I know lipo is better in almost every way. The only problem is cost. Can you get a good lipo battery and charger for under $50?

With the mega vehicles id stick with nimh, my esc caught fire within 5 minutes of using a 2s 5000mah lipo haha not fun :(

Attachments

• 635770426313646806.jpg
    635770426313646806.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 49
See http://www.arrma-rc.com/assets/images/YT9NNGANCHF2G4M2AWWEPVCEDPJWPE9QVQECU2UKQKCPCHE4RN.jpg If I'm interpreting the chart right, moving to LiPo also entails upgrading the ESC/motor combination to the BLS ESC/motor. That tells me that the MEGA ESC is only designed for NiMH batteries.

Having said that, upgrading to LiPos and the BLS is only going to buy you a few more mph than a 7-cell NiMH pack. If you don't have the LiPos or BLS combo, I would just stick with the MEGA and NiMH. If you want to increase your speeds and are ready to spend, I would look at going straight to the BLX-level setup, in which case I would recommend looking at the Castle Creations or Hobbywing ESCs as they have more tuning options, or check eBay for BLX systems that people are selling after having moved to a CC or HW ESC.

Normally the MEGA motor will be fried soon on 2S only.
But again this should not happen to the MEGA esc. It is lipo ready. So I would suggest to claim warranty.

Cheap lipos which are good are available. Depends on your location. Check hobbyking for example.

But I would not save money on a charger. That is a long term investment

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back