Lipo power question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels007

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
I have two of the same 3s 50c 5200 lipo betteries. Starting a fresh run/charge, one of them I can punch the throttle and my truck wheelies on demand as it should. However, the second one I need to drive around for maybe 5-8 minutes before my truck has the same power. I can't get the front end off the ground to save my life. After those 5-8 min it drives fine. What's going on? Is that normal? Thanks!

Battery is worn. As your batteries heat up the C rating goes up. A worn battery will have substantially less power than a newer battery. That said, at its peak temperature, it’ll be about as powerful as a lesser worn battery that was just plugged in.

Last edited:
Battery is worn. As your batteries heat up the C rating goes up. A worn battery will have substantially less power than a newer battery. That said, at its peak temperature, it’ll be about as powerful as a lesser worn battery that was just plugged in.
Got it! These are them. They've been awesome. I got them at Christmas and maybe used them 15ish times. I have a week before they're out of warranty! I might see if they'll exchange them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQRIE12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your dealer was Spark Deals, don’t hold your breath. I had to file an Amazon claim against them.
Sprk Deals may be storing them wrong or for too long but usually PowerHobby has dependable packs. I have a couple 3s and like em and I think @RC DUDE81 runs PowerHobby exclusively.

Sprk Deals may be storing them wrong or for too long but usually PowerHobby has dependable packs. I have a couple 3s and like em and I think @RC DUDE81 runs PowerHobby exclusively.
When I received the batteries they were both half charged. As I said above, one of them works great and charges fully. The one in question I just noticed yesterday charges 3.9, 3.9, 4.2 volts and the power fluctuation.

When I received the batteries they were both half charged. As I said above, one of them works great and charges fully. The one in question I just noticed yesterday charges 3.9, 3.9, 4.2 volts and the power fluctuation.
Them coming with half charge/storage (3.8VDC) is normal. That’s where they should have been anyways.

As for them having weak cells, that’s an issue I had as well. I bought a 2 pack of 3S 5400 50C lipos and one was damaged in transit. They asked for photos and sent me a new one quickly. But then the other original one had a bad cell within a month and they told me I already received a replacement and I was out of luck. But the replacement I got was for only one of the two. That shouldn’t negate the warranty on the other unit.

In the end, I filed a claim with Amazon and won. So I now have one pack with a bad cell that I am going to drain and throw away. And I have one perfectly good (for now) pack for free. That wasn’t how I wanted it to go down, but they left me no choice.

Them coming with half charge/storage (3.8VDC) is normal. That’s where they should have been anyways.

As for them having weak cells, that’s an issue I had as well. I bought a 2 pack of 3S 5400 50C lipos and one was damaged in transit. They asked for photos and sent me a new one quickly. But then the other original one had a bad cell within a month and they told me I already received a replacement and I was out of luck. But the replacement I got was for only one of the two. That shouldn’t negate the warranty on the other unit.

In the end, I filed a claim with Amazon and won. So I now have one pack with a bad cell that I am going to drain and throw away. And I have one perfectly good (for now) pack for free. That wasn’t how I wanted it to go down, but they left me no choice.
Hah, that should've been a no brainer.

This is really good info. I have noticed some behavior that supports this, but never put it all together that it was the cell temperatures.
Have you found any good scientific research indicating ideal temp ranges for improved ion flow?

-Liberty

This is really good info. I have noticed some behavior that supports this, but never put it all together that it was the cell temperatures.
Have you found any good scientific research indicating ideal temp ranges for improved ion flow?

-Liberty
I’ll link a video. It’s nothing scientific, it’s just my personal and my friends experienced accounts... exocaged rc did a simple test on it here:

I’ll link a video. It’s nothing scientific, it’s just my personal and my friends experienced accounts... exocaged rc did a simple test on it here:
Good stuff my quick google research backed up this and indicated ideal batt temps of 100-110 range as a starting point.
Always good with the bad, starting hot means it could overheat while running also.

Thanks for sharing!

Good stuff my quick google research backed up this and indicated ideal batt temps of 100-110 range as a starting point.
Always good with the bad, starting hot means it could overheat while running also.

Thanks for sharing!
Yup, actually during our winters we noticed the batteries would quickly shoot up to around 110 degrees (due to the high resistance in cold weather) and level out there.

If your dealer was Spark Deals, don’t hold your breath. I had to file an Amazon claim against them.
Good news! Spark Deals is sending me a new battery. Maybe they updated their customer service practices. Hopefully this new battery is ok.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back