Lipo Protection? Overkill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay @Mongoose. That’s what I needed to hear. I’m going to try to do the “Storage” mode on this one particular battery one more time.
Anything from 3.75-3.85v is perfectly fine for storage.

Check your IR's. Sometimes chargers have anomalies. Verify numbers with another device, lipo checker, VOM or similar. But the HTRC display seems normal. 4.2v -4.25 per cell is is FULL charged. Your cells are at storage volts.(3.8v) Seems like your cells are not quite balanced yet. Use the balance mode at storage voltage to level them out. I find that IR's per cell drop at as they approach 4.2v. So I am only concerned with IR's when full charged. That's when it counts the most. IMO.:)(y)

Check your IR's. Sometimes chargers have anomalies. Verify numbers with another device, lipo checker, VOM or similar. But the HTRC display seems normal. 4.2v -4.25 per cell is is FULL charged. Your cells are at storage volts.(3.8v) Seems like your cells are not quite balanced yet. Use the balance mode at storage voltage to level them out. I find that IR's per cell drop at as they approach 4.2v. So I am only concerned with IR's when full charged. That's when it counts the most. IMO.:)(y)
4.25! Really if you’re any over 4.21 you’re doing serious damage (exception is lithium high voltage batteries)

The old saying on rctech was: “well, who cares about 0.02 volts?”

“your lipos”
He is the OP lol
LMAO my bad

I can’t live with this in my home.

You are in the wrong hobby dude!

That's like buying a car but being afraid of gas fumes while refueling at a gas station.

Don't stand too close to your microwave while nuking your burrito.

Chargers are sometimes off calibration by that much.
I said its good to check using a known good vom.

It’s all good though @SpinRush_C1, it’s better to be safe than sorry when you aren’t sure. But believe us, we wouldn’t tell you anything that wasn’t accurate. Worry less about the pack voltages but take care of them and everything will be fine and you’ll be able to enjoy this awesome hobby. Let your packs cool before putting them on the charger after every run, balance them out to storage level, balance charge them every time (you can do the fast charge to bring them up quick but finish off in balance mode), don’t run them past 3.2V at the absolute minimum (I switch packs at 3.5-3.6) and just inspect them on a regular basis.

A good and cheap investment would be a lipo alarm because the BLX185 LVC setting is low. Plus you will always know how much runtime is left in the pack. I just use heavy duty adhesive back Velcro (actual Velcro brand) to secure it to the chassis. Plug one of your packs into it and the other goes in the holder. You’ll be all set.

Edit - and also don’t leave them plugged into the ESC for long periods of time. Like sitting on the shelf for example.

Last edited:
Lipo alarms work. But be careful you don't get bad ones. Alot of them are innacurate. Get a known brand and check it against a known good VOM.
From experience.
BTW my BLX185 goes soft LVC at 3.5-3.6v running 6S bricks. In an ideal world to gain longevity of your lipos, you charge to 4.1v and LVC at 3.7. If you cycle your lipos that way, they last quite awhile. IR's stay lower across the cells.
A name brand Cell checker is important to have on hand. Make sure you double check a Lipo alarm when you get it. I purchased a 5 pack, 3 out of five were wrong readings. They are great for setting the voltage alarm. And it is loud. You can hear your rig 15+ feet away. Voltage sags will trip it prematurely at times. Older unbalanced cells will cause that.
20200117_201746.jpg
20200117_201910.jpg

Last edited:
Man you are super paranoid!
I know I am! I wish it hadn’t seen those Lipo battery videos on YouTube. Seeing them just spontaneously blow up, no pun intended, kind of blew me away. I’m not as scared as you might think. I just bought a 2nd car last week.

The thing is I live here in Japan. I wish I had space all to myself, thus my mistakes would only be my own. I’m thinking about my own safety and the safety and lives of those around me. If I see anything funny about these Lipos that I don’t feel comfortable with, I will ask for a 2nd opinion.

I’m like CAPCOM for NASA. Are we go or no go for launch? Houston, I’m seeing some vibration here. Launch delayed!

I guess it's possible you do, but I don't think you store your power tools in a special bag, or your laptop in a special bag, or your phone in a special bag. Why would you store these in a special bag?

I guess it's possible you do, but I don't think you store your power tools in a special bag, or your laptop in a special bag, or your phone in a special bag. Why would you store these in a special bag?
The above you mentioned are Lithium Ion packs in consumer products with low Mah ratings and Lions are not volatile in a fully charged state unlike Lipo's which are volatile at 4.2v per cell(charged). Lions are designed to be charged and stored fully charged. Lipos are not designed to be stored fully charged for lengths of time. And, the larger the Mah, the larger the bang when they light up. These lipos are hobby grade mass produced with minimal standards at manufacture, hence the many fires we see on YT as of late. If you respect them they respect you for the most part. But I've even had new lipos that were questionable and smelled sweet. Those are flawed unsealed packs from manufacturing. A decent company will replace them, because they know there is an inherent production failure rate with Lipos. And most are not hardcased so they damage easily when bashing. When a fully charged soft case is breached from impact or damage, air mixes with the polymer and it reacts fast. Hard to put out. You just let them flame out. So you want them contained until the reaction stops. Using a vented container/ fire proof bag helps.

Last edited:
The above you mentioned are Lithium Ion packs in consumer products with low Mah ratings and Lions are not volatile in a fully charged state unlike Lipo's which are volatile at 4.2v per cell(charged). Lions are designed to be charged and stored fully charged. Lipos are not designed to be stored fully charged for lengths of time. And, the larger the Mah, the larger the bang when they light up. These lipos are hobby grade mass produced with minimal standards at manufacture, hence the many fires we see on YT as of late. If you respect them they respect you for the most part. But I've even had new lipos that were questionable and smelled sweet. Those are flawed unsealed packs from manufacturing. A decent company will replace them, because they know there is an inherent production failure rate with Lipos. And most are not hardcased so they damage easily when bashing. When a fully charged soft case is breached from impact or damage, air mixes with the polymer and it reacts fast. Hard to put out. You just let them flame out. So you want them contained until the reaction stops. Using a vented container/ fire proof bag helps.

My 20V Lithium Ion leaf blower, weed whacker, drill, and various other accessories are not low voltage and are considerably more dangerous were they to catch fire, or explode. I also don't keep fully charged batteries on my work bench. Also my dell uses a 6 cell 99Wh battery pack at 14.6 Volts. They range from 14.6V all the way down to 7.4V. Let's not even get into the fact people aren't sticking their teslas in lipo bags, or there leafs. Also, i've been to numerous hobby stores with batteries just sitting on a shelf. I don't believe Amazon stores all those prime batteries in giant lipo bags either. I almost feel like this poort industry has been tricked into thinking an additional 10 dollar bag is needed for each battery, it's absolutely nuts. Stating that a lithium ion battery compared to a polymer battery with less power is going to cause more damage is simply incorrect, no? You're I guess right when you say the bigger the Mah, the bigger the boom, but their are far far far far larger batteries in your home that would cause considerably more damage if they were to explode, people just don't care about them because their isn't an entire industry scaring them into buying these darn bags. The only difference is the mechanics of the actual sheet within the battery. Polymer batteries actually cost more because the components within them are safer, and allow the same storage in a lower profile chasis.

Lithium Ion is different than Lithium Polymer. UL listed Consumer goods use Lion packs with safety circuitry. Most RC packs don't have that feature. They rely on a balance lead to monitor the cells at the charger. I agree that this hobby can draw a lot of needless kneejerk products that are not needed. Hence, lipo bags that appear non functional. Some are even BS and not worth anything. The better ones are cheap insurance however. Lipos generally don't ignite when stored. It is at the charging process where they usually ignite or when they are in use charged and under load and/or damaged while bashing. Stored at 3.8v/cell they are fine. Lipos can be shaped to size for specific applications.
I have many power tools. But they are all Lion powered. (18650's in series) 18650's have safety circuitry. They can safely vent also. Lipo's cant vent. They just expand till the sheets rupture and ignite with oxygen.

Lithium Ion is different than Lithium Polymer. UL listed Consumer goods use Lion packs with safety circuitry. Most RC packs don't have that feature. They rely on a balance lead to monitor the cells at the charger. I agree that this hobby can draw a lot of needless kneejerk products that are not needed. Hence, lipo bags that appear non functional. Some are even BS and not worth anything. The better ones are cheap insurance however. Lipos generally don't ignite when stored. It is at the charging process where they usually ignite or when they are in use charged and under load and/or damaged while bashing. Stored at 3.8v/cell they are fine. Lipos can be shaped to size for specific applications.
I have many power tools. But they are all Lion powered. (18650's in series) 18650's have safety circuitry. They can safely vent also. Lipo's cant vent. They just expand till the sheets rupture and ignite with oxygen.
“They just expand till the sheets rupture and ignite with oxygen”.

You have me scared “S%&#$less” right now. I don’t ever want to see a Lipo bulging, getting ready to Hulk out on me, hitting me with gamma radiation then suffocating me. I almost dropped one the other day. Clumsy me. I ran to get my fire blanket and mitts.

Everything is a learning experience though. That’s the good point. What have a learned so far? Not much, but here’s what I got.

I love this battery right now.
5328545F-933C-481C-ABAF-3CC29540A9EB.jpeg

I love the numbers I see on the charger. Nothing funny about it. Stayed real cool while bashing.

I’m also a big fan of “Deans” T adaptors. No chance to make a mistake there. That’s how things ought to be. I use the Deans to charge. I found a nice adaptor that goes from EC5 to Deans. Life’s simple.

I also like EC5 adaptors on my batteries. With my Typhon and IC5 everything just clicks nicely.

I’ll learn more about the other connectors in time. Right now, I just need to learn the basics. I still haven’t figured out differential oils and shock oils. That’s my next big challenge.

“They just expand till the sheets rupture and ignite with oxygen”.

You have me scared “S%&#$less” right now. I don’t ever want to see a Lipo bulging, getting ready to Hulk out on me, hitting me with gamma radiation then suffocating me. I almost dropped one the other day. Clumsy me. I ran to get my fire blanket and mitts.

Everything is a learning experience though. That’s the good point. What have a learned so far? Not much, but here’s what I got.

I love this battery right now. View attachment 61337

I love the numbers I see on the charger. Nothing funny about it. Stayed real cool while bashing.

I’m also a big fan of “Deans” T adaptors. No chance to make a mistake there. That’s how things ought to be. I use the Deans to charge. I found a nice adaptor that goes from EC5 to Deans. Life’s simple.

I also like EC5 adaptors on my batteries. With my Typhon and IC5 everything just clicks nicely.

I’ll learn more about the other connectors in time. Right now, I just need to learn the basics. I still haven’t figured out differential oils and shock oils. That’s my next big challenge.
Baby steps. We all started somewhere. I use Deans Ultra Plugs (T-plugs)on my Crawlers and low voltage rigs. My 6S rigs I am using XT90's.
T- plugs will melt with high amp use as I learned. And when bashing hard they do come apart and disconnect from impacts

Baby steps. We all started somewhere. I use Deans Ultra Plugs (T-plugs)on my Crawlers and low voltage rigs. My 6S rigs I am using XT90's.
T- plugs will melt with high amp use as I learned. And when bashing hard they do come apart and disconnect from impacts
I use the T-plugs only for charging. Keeps me in check. Red to red, black to black, just like that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back