Lipo storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I understand you correctly, your still latching it shut and its sufficiently vented with most of the seal removed?
Absolutely Sir. Like stated above
Yeah just leave a bit of seal near the latch so the latch has enough tension to remain secure under pressue. The can will still vent pressure fine with the rest of the seal removed. Don't make holes . Then fire will come out like a blow torch! Defeating the whole purpose of the can. Need to vent the pressure but contain the fire.

Absolutely Sir. Like stated above
Yeah just leave a bit of seal near the latch so the latch has enough tension to remain secure under pressue. The can will still vent pressure fine with the rest of the seal removed. Don't make holes . Then fire will come out like a blow torch! Defeating the whole purpose of the can. Need to vent the pressure but contain the fire.
To late. I already drilled 4 holes in the lid!:rolleyes: I suppose I could bolt a steel plate over the inside cover to seal it up, plus it will give me something to do.😁
How big are they?
12 inches long.........6.125 inches wide....7.25 inch deep.

Last edited:
To late. I already drilled 4 holes in the lid!:rolleyes: I suppose I could bolt a steel plate over the inside cover to seal it up, plus it will give me something to do.😁

12 inches long.........6.125 inches wide....7.25 inch deep.
Dang that is a little bigger than the Harbor Freight one.

I feel bad because my cans can't really close the way I have em 🤣 I don't know how I'm carrying mine to balcony in case of emergency. Apartment life sucks for lipo tbh I'd be charging in the garage if I had one.

I feel bad because my cans can't really close the way I have em 🤣 I don't know how I'm carrying mine to balcony in case of emergency. Apartment life sucks for lipo tbh I'd be charging in the garage if I had one.
I've seen a reddit user who stores his lipos in the oven since he lives in an apartment. 💁‍♂️

I've seen a reddit user who stores his lipos in the oven since he lives in an apartment. 💁‍♂️
Maybe I should consider that! or a small bbq pit?

Was checking on lipos if they are still OK. Discharge them down to 3,65 Volt per cell at about 8 Amp. So they level to about 3,7 when they get off the discharger. Then recharge and see what goes in. This 3s 5000mAh 30C accepted 3200mAH. Was a bit warm when charging at 1 C but not warmer than others that get charged. Otherwise looked perfectly fine. So discharged it to 9 volt in order to safely throw it away.

The lipo then opened its mouth and grinned at me at 9 volt. Opened his mouth while in my hand. He is sleeping outside today.

20230205_022942.jpg

20230205_023003.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC over-discharging decomposes the cathode (lithium cobalt oxide) and forms oxygen gas, which pressurizes and inflates the cell. Probably what happened there, though 3V/cell isn't that low. Definitely already in a degraded state beforehand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back