Lipo storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny b

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
Still a little intimated with the potential lipo issues so just trying to play it safe. Picked up a ammo case today at Walmart. I have 4 total lipos What's your opinion for venting the box? Drill holes, remove rubber seal, don't lock down lid? Been charging the batteries outside on patio blocks away from everything. I could charge in my Webber grill or even in the ammo box. Opinions? Also keeping ammo box in garage ok? I know ideally it should be 1 battery per box. Will have to do for now. Also do the spectrum smart batteries pictured put themselves in storage mode? I been doing that myself with my charger. It's my understanding you need a spectrum smart charger to program them to self storage? Perhaps some dumb questions but I'll take that over a serious injury or house fire. Appreciate your input and knowledge. Really enjoying this forum!

IMG_20221213_141818155_HDR.jpg

I remove most of the rubber seal and call it a day.

If you remove the entire rubber seal, then the latch won’t close tightly. But leave a little rubber on that end and it will.

Last edited:
I remove most of the rubber seal and call it a day.

If you remove the entire rubber seal, the. The latch won’t close tightly. But leave a little rubber on that end and it will.
So if I understand you correctly, your still latching it shut and its sufficiently vented with most of the seal removed?

I highly recommend you remove the rubber seal ,BUT leave the rubber along the edge facing the latch.. that way if the lipo ever explodes/catches fire the heated gas/flames isn't shooting out towards you.

That goes with drilling holes.. Don't have holes in areas where you need to grab a hold of the handle.. in case you need to carry the ammo can outside.

How much was that box from walmart. I have mine in a lockable metal document box, but it's not very big. Might have to grab one of those.
BTW, Next time you buy batteries, look for a higher C rating. 50C or more will give better run times.

I highly recommend you remove the rubber seal ,BUT leave the rubber along the edge facing the latch.. that way if the lipo ever explodes/catches fire the heated gas/flames isn't shooting out towards you.

That goes with drilling holes.. Don't have holes in areas where you need to grab a hold of the handle.. in case you need to carry the ammo can outside.
Never thought of that...good point! Thanks!

How much was that box from walmart. I have mine in a lockable metal document box, but it's not very big. Might have to grab one of those.
BTW, Next time you buy batteries, look for a higher C rating. 50C or more will give better run times.
The box was $12.74 + tax. The one smart battery came with my ready to fly carbon cub, so I just bought 2 more. I only use them for my plane and when they run out, I'm more than ready to land..aka controlled crash! Lol The C rating on the 5200 is 135c ....for my Senton however.

The box was $12.74 + tax. The one smart battery came with my ready to fly carbon cub, so I just bought 2 more. I only use them for my plane and when they run out, I'm more than ready to land..aka controlled crash! Lol The C rating on the 5200 is 135c ....for my Senton however.
Ok. Yeah, I tried fixed wing and heli's for a while. Couldn't keep em in the air for very long. Decided I'd just stay on the ground from now on.

They've come along way with planes. The carbon cub has safe technology. Beginner, intermediate, and expert mode. a high wing trainer so very stable. I do touch and goes the whole time and love it! Ray Charles could fly this thing and it appears you bashers are getting as much air time as I am with the plane.lol

Thank you for the advice as always. I will remove the rubber seal except the part that you mentioned. Looks like I will need to buy another ammo can and drill holes in better spots, luckily I have an army surplus store not far from me.

They've come along way with planes. The carbon cub has safe technology. Beginner, intermediate, and expert mode. a high wing trainer so very stable. I do touch and goes the whole time and love it! Ray Charles could fly this thing and it appears you bashers are getting as much air time as I am with the plane.lol

1000001064.png

Harbor Freight has 50cal cans for $17.99 https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-050-caliber-ammo-can-63750.html sometimes they have them on sale for less. Pretty sure I paid $12 for mine.

I did the opposite, I removed only the part of the rubber by the hinge left the rest of the seal in.

Oh ok....well !maybe he can't fly but the dude can sing and play like a boss!
I already drilled holes in the top! 😲 my bad! It took forever to drill the first hole, tried several different drill bits and finally realized the drill was in reverse!😆 I just threw out my old b&d drill that never had a reverse so didn't think twice about it. Don't get old guys!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Harbor Freight has 50cal cans for $17.99 https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-050-caliber-ammo-can-63750.html sometimes they have them on sale for less. Pretty sure I paid $12 for mine.

I did the opposite, I removed only the part of the rubber by the hinge left the rest of the seal in.

Honestly it depends on how many batteries you intend to have in the can.. I usually have two or more ,so the "extra" venting (by removing more rubber seals) is warranted ,IMO.

But, nothing is written in stone. So who knows 🤷‍♂️

Honestly it depends on how many batteries you intend to have in the can.. I usually have two or more ,so the "extra" venting (by removing more rubber seals) is warranted ,IMO.

But, nothing is written in stone. So who knows 🤷‍♂️
Oh mine is full I count 24 lipos and one life pack.

1670974673056.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back