Kraton LiPo Weight / Balance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexyboy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I just purchased a Kraton 6S V4 and trying to decide the most appropriate battery to buy. I was interested to see that the Turnigy Graphene Panther 6000mAh will actually fit in the Kraton's battery tray but I wasn't sure what the impact of having a battery that heavy would do for balance of the car particularly when it is in the air. Looking at the spec's ( https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-graphene-6000mah-6s-75c-lipo-pack-w-xt90.html ) it shows this battery weighs in at 1.1kg (nearly 2.5 lbs). If you compare this to something like a SMC 5000mAh ( https://www.smc-racing.net/index.ph...+Premium+V2+22.2V+5000mAh+97Amps/90C+Hardcase ) it only weighs 625g (around 22 oz).

I know these are different capacity batteries but wondered if anyone could comment on if the larger Turnigy Graphene battery is likely to cause balance issues on the car?

Thanks.

Welcome to AF.
There is no issue with the lipos weight. All lipos vary in weight do to mah capac. vaiables. You are over thinking battery weight and balance on a rig that doesn't really matter. This is not an on-road speed runner with a saddle pack config. Chassis Balance is a moot point to argue here. The chassis is already balanced to consider a pack on one side.
Concentrate more on getting a good lipo with good specs. The Graphene lipo you mention is a great pack. Just buy it, charge it and drive it. Don't over think it. These are not Racer Track cars. Just RTR bashers. (y) :)

Thanks for getting back to me. I have ended up ordering a SMC 6500mAh pack but will keep the Turnigy pack on the list for the next purchase ;-)
That's going to probably be my next choice, but I can say these are also the cat's meow
YOWOO 6S Graphene Battery 6000mAh 100C 22.2V Lipo Batteries with XT90 Plug for Mikado Logo 550, Align T-REX 550 600 700, Sab Goblin 630, Large Multirotors, EDF Jets, 600 to 700 Size RC Helicopters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR1YR64/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NuojEbZ6EY9JC

I have this one & the 4S, both are amazing, and because I had to rip one apart (not the batteries fault) I can confirm they are built quite well with metal plates all around, 10ga wire, and fit like a glove. Enjoy your new Kraton ??

Thanks for getting back to me. I have ended up ordering a SMC 6500mAh pack but will keep the Turnigy pack on the list for the next purchase ;-)
Not a big deal but you were in right way. after that topic you did wrong. Stock kraton is 4.89kg without battery. Its already too heavy for a truggy. 1.1kg battery isnt for any 8th scale buggy type rig like kraton and laughable. Smc on first post is 625g. More than 500g between those effects too much on feeling of rig. Even 350g. If you change ur tires to katar, u will lose more than 500 gram too. Think about how light ur rig after remove the battery.. difference is huge like 15%.. have you ever driven a v4 talion? actually those car are the same other than tires but feeling is from other planet. but if u chose battery and tires light, feeling of car becomes much much much better. Even I would use 2 of 3500mah 6s if battery can handle. Battery swap worth for performance gain. Nitro truggies are 4-4.2kg. Weight is important but favourite tires in this forum are backflips ??

I think the lower profile BF PL'S are the ones to get. If you can find them. They are in demand.
Btw 1/8 Truggies were originally meant for 4S. Using 6S kind of offsets any weight gain hit. Upgrades really make the chassis heavier than need be sometimes. Lipo weight concerns is just Splitting hairs. I can see a weight loss in tires being more important. Lower rotating weight/mass helps overall handling.

Last edited:
I think the lower profile BF PL'S are the ones to get. If you can find them. They are in demand.
I never use Lp version but can say surely it is much better than 6s Bf's. Using lpBF means 200g lose after v4 kraton tires. Still significantly heavier than katars but probably more durable.

Katars are buggy sized though??? Hel, l I even ran Hoon sized (1/8 buggy size)on my Kraton as a goof on the street. Yes lighter wheels. But at some point how small a wheel should one go? Poor Rollout becomes the hit.

Good luck with them SMC packs, all mine have puffed up from no runs to within 2 runs!

Attachments

• 20200121_163452.jpg
    20200121_163452.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200121_163436.jpg
    20200121_163436.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200121_163733.jpg
    20200121_163733.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 42
I just ordered the Arrma Kraton 6s. Hoping this battery will be sufficient? I’m new to the electric scene. Thanks in advance.
YOWOO Graphene Battery 4000mAh 100C 4S 14.8V Graphene Lipo Batterise with XT90 Plug for RC Truggy Truck
Sorry, not sure how to link it to amazon?

I just ordered the Arrma Kraton 6s. Hoping this battery will be sufficient? I’m new to the electric scene. Thanks in advance.
YOWOO Graphene Battery 4000mAh 100C 4S 14.8V Graphene Lipo Batterise with XT90 Plug for RC Truggy Truck
Sorry, not sure how to link it to amazon?
4000 mah is gonna be a short runtime, but as long as you are ok with that, it should work.

Good luck with them SMC packs, all mine have puffed up from no runs to within 2 runs!
SMC's are not doing well for a lot of guys these days.(n) Time to let Danny at SMC know about that.

Katars are buggy sized though??? Hel, l I even ran Hoon sized (1/8 buggy size)on my Kraton as a goof on the street. Yes lighter wheels. But at some point how small a wheel should one go? Poor Rollout becomes the hit.
Maybe will look ugly when use mt-like body on a standart truggy chassis like kraton. As u said rotating mass is more important. So feeling of lpbf is so different. for 5-6kg rig, even losing 200-300g from anywhere is significant. Also Katars are not buggy sized. i don't know who has said that first on this forum. Has 25mm longer height than a badlands buggy tire. Even proline truggy 4.0 race tires are smaller than katars

The Katars are Truggy track wheel dimensions. Yes. I seen elsewhere they appear buggy sized. I don't have them. I prefer lighter low profile PL or Duratrax 1/8 Truggy track disk wheels/tires. And I wouldn't go smaller. The 6S Kraton is Truggy based but the track width is wider. Zero offset wheels will bring the width close to track specs and handle more like a Real 1/8 truggy. But weight is up there. It doesn't make sense to spend much trimming weight. Just buy a real Truggy and run on 4S, which is the lipo limit spec.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back