Liquid Mask for Airbrushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschlosser0405

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
So I got a jug of Bitty Liquid Mask and an airbrush for my next body job. Have never used anything more than rattle cans to this point. This body will be my first attempt at airbrushing/stenciling. After my last paint job I see how important it is to scuff the body for paint adherence (didn't do it). This time I will definitely be scuffing. My question is....am I going to have trouble peeling the liquid mask from the scuffed body or no? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

No you won’t have problems pealing it from the scuffed body but if your cut isn’t deep enough in the mask, it’ll peel up both sides of the cut creating an unclean line. And if you cut too deep, that line may crack during bashing. It’s a fine line.

So I got a jug of Bitty Liquid Mask and an airbrush for my next body job. Have never used anything more than rattle cans to this point. This body will be my first attempt at airbrushing/stenciling. After my last paint job I see how important it is to scuff the body for paint adherence (didn't do it). This time I will definitely be scuffing. My question is....am I going to have trouble peeling the liquid mask from the scuffed body or no? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Did you spray on the Bitty liquid mask with an airbrush? If so which airbrush are you using?

Did you spray on the Bitty liquid mask with an airbrush? If so which airbrush are you using?
Yes i did. It worked beautifully. I have a Paasche Talon (TG1220). I used a #2 tip and it was great. I am definitely NOT a good painter by any means, but it was very easy to do smaller details and still get good coverage for bigger areas without taking forever. Several light coats with lots of time to dry and it peeled perfectly and left good crisp lines.

Yes i did. It worked beautifully. I have a Paasche Talon (TG1220). I used a #2 tip and it was great. I am definitely NOT a good painter by any means, but it was very easy to do smaller details and still get good coverage for bigger areas without taking forever. Several light coats with lots of time to dry and it peeled perfectly and left good crisp lines.
Did you have to thin it at all? For cleanup did you just use water?

No, you'll have no issues with that at all. Personally, I won't use anything other than liquid mask anymore for painting bodies. You'll be hard pressed getting crisper lines than with this stuff, I absolutely love it. It's quite viscous so some thinning with water is necessary (I'd guess about 15% but YMMV). I use a cheap no name version of one of these to apply it in 3-4 coats and it works an absolute treat.

1652759453843.png

The key to getting a clean peel with the liquid mask is to go heavy on the application
If you don’t go heavy enough it’s very difficult to peel

I spray one very heavy coat and that’s it

Always scuff the body as well ..the liquid mask comes off no problem

I probably do about 20 bodies a month so I’ve done hundreds of bodies in mask
I’d never do another body without masking it first

DA016B26-9D17-4B5C-8399-E233924127FA.jpeg

The key to getting a clean peel with the liquid mask is to go heavy on the application
If you don’t go heavy enough it’s very difficult to peel

I spray one very heavy coat and that’s it

Always scuff the body as well ..the liquid mask comes off no problem

I probably do about 20 bodies a month so I’ve done hundreds of bodies in mask
I’d never do another body without masking it first

View attachment 218133
Wow, I'll definitely be going with the heavy coat approach next time. Wanna paint a Slash 4x4 sized Baja Bug?? lol

These are so nice! @Ajag do you use your own made stencils for these?

Back