List your top 3 for advice before purchasing RC stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Choosing your YouTube channel of choice could turn into a flame war of opinions but consider a couple things. 1) There are different types of channels with different goals, figure that out and take them for what they are… there are some that are meant as entertainment and to generate income like Kevin Talbot. You can get some good data from him but the overarching goal is to be outlandish to get views. Some are reviewing stock vehicles and may or may not have a brand bias or have to say positive things to keep the vendors sending them advanced to review. (Jaytee, RCDriver) Some are more about wrenching and/or modifications and can be valuable to learn how to modify or wrench better. (Exocaged RC, Earl Moorhead) 2) Your watching habits will adjust to your needs in the hobby change.

Welcome to the hobby!
Hurricane

Pulling hairs yet? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Get the RC that catches your eye and have fun!:)

Maintenance and repairs is a given for any and all.
I did, didn't listen to no one, I looked at RC cars and when saw the Arrma that's what I wanted, and I got the Typhon first, the T looked like trash and will break just from looking at it. Then I searched for Mods and up comes this forum, I joined and Picked the smartest guy for support and I got it, I will not name him lol. And now I own almost 4 RC's, not a pro driver but I get there. btw that was 6 weeks ago ;)

I did, didn't listen to no one, I looked at RC cars and when saw the Arrma that's what I wanted, and I got the Typhon first, the T looked like trash and will break just from looking at it. Then I searched for Mods and up comes this forum, I joined and Picked the smartest guy for support and I got it, I will not name him lol. And now I own almost 4 RC's, not a pro driver but I get there. btw that was 6 weeks ago ;)
And THAT'S how its done! (y)

oh and btw thanks for not mentioning my name.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Right here dude but to be fair if your looking at another brand you should also check elsewhere as well. There are some fanboys on every site that can’t possibly look at another brand honestly. As mentioned YouTube is a place with a lot of paid commercials but sometimes you can get good info from the comment sections. What do you want to buy we would all love to chime in on what to buy?

I mainly read technical documents from product vendors, forums - the last bastions where good, informative discussion can sometimes take place in an internet media cesspool of misinformation, paid promotions, dishonest influencers and grifters - and watch a few specific YouTube channels like razorrc where the intuition I developed over many years of R/Cing tells me the person behind it is experienced and has a good technical understanding of what makes good R/C gear.

@razorrc is among a few out there that are honest and have years of technical and track driving experience and tells it like it is. Some will not agree to hear the real truth, and shun experience. We all learn differently, sometimes on our own from trial and error. Whatever works for you.
He knows radios well also. Has the knowledge to compare chassis' of different brands and what to expect. He rarely compares apples to oranges. Which can be confusing like other YT'ers tend to do. There are many Urban RC myths out there, much derived from Industry marketing. And some just from Misinformation that is followed by many and keeps going, just perpetuates.

This RC site below, is a great place to get into the fundamentals of RC. I agree with 99% of it.
A great resource for someone new to this hobby. Easy read IMHO. RC can be as technical as you want it to be. Baby steps.....

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/

:cool:

Last edited:
I do the opposite -- I buy the cars first, and then give advice on what I find. 🤣 Expensive, but the only way to really know what's what IMO.

I personally find most reviewers don't really know they're talking about, but a couple that I think are pretty good -- RC Driver Online (but you have to read between the lines) and Aussie RC Playground. Everyone else either jumps their truck into a lamppost at 50mph and complains when it breaks, or can't get beyond a pretty basic, surface-level understanding of the cars.

Aussie RC is the other one that immediately comes to mind when I think about channels in the same class as yours. RC Driver I sometimes get the impression he's being too charitable but the reviews consistently have a good mix of technical overview and running footage which makes the channel a nice stop when researching a vehicle.

I appreciate that you're willing to buy all the cars you do and give honest, in depth reviews with a sensible criteria and rating system. Compared to all the crap out there you don't get nearly as much viewership as you should IMO.

No one has mentioned what I think is the most important factor in choosing an RC. Take note of the environment YouTubers are running their RC's. Choose one that runs great in environments you have available. I chose my RC after watching a lot of YouTube videos and made the right choice.

For example, 8s Arrma videos can be impressive, but they need LOTS of space and shine on rough terrain. Then click on a video of some dude trying to run one in a tiny backyard and it becomes obvious what a bad choice it can be. Likewise, a smaller 1/10 can do amazing tricks off a ramp or in the skatepark, but once you hit big heavy terrain, you'll see them bouncing all over the place and struggling to power through. High speed runs can be impressive, but you need a wide, flat, straight, road with no traffic that's REALLY long.

Then pay attention to which RC's YouTubers run repeatedly. They may give a new release a great review, or showcase a sponsor's latest upgrade, but if they don't run it often, you should question how much they really like it. After reviewing their history, it often becomes obvious which RC's they really love to run.

After finding RC's that run well in areas available to you, check for durability, wrenching and upgrade videos. You don't want an RC that breaks too easily or needs too many upgrades to keep running, That said, ANY RC will need maintenance, replacement parts, helpful upgrades, etc. So, make sure you choose one that has parts available. Checking retailers such as Amain Hobbies and even ebay will quickly reveal which RC's have lots of available parts.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back