Kraton Lithium battery safety question - worn cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seditious Git

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi Folks - your advice needed - one of my Overlander 5000 Lipo batteries, has its Balance connector plastic ends worn away .... a two bare wires could touch... obviously I've isolated these for now with tape etc.... but would be it safe to store the battery and use it still... or is this likely to create any danger or degradation because they had touched and got hot for a few seconds.... bit of smoke !

Throw the battery away, or just tape up effectively and forget it? Thank you

Hi Folks - your advice needed - one of my Overlander 5000 Lipo batteries, has its Balance connector plastic ends worn away .... a two bare wires could touch... obviously I've isolated these for now with tape etc.... but would be it safe to store the battery and use it still... or is this likely to create any danger or degradation because they had touched and got hot for a few seconds.... bit of smoke !

Throw the battery away, or just tape up effectively and forget it? Thank you
Can you post a picture of the wires?

You can't balance charge it or check the cells without the balance connector anyway.

I'd replace the connector and then check the cells. Pack could be dead or it could live a long and fruitful life still, can't say without some measurements.
Is it puffed?

Not puffed and battery works OK..... see picture.... the Balance cables messed up.... I could just tape them individually and get on with it.... or what? Cheers

Attachments

• 20190511_222726.jpg
    20190511_222726.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 40
Thanks - so stripe wire ends - and put the new plastic end piece - but the battery is charged so as the wires touch they are hot etc !! any ideas
Either need to put a new end on it, or run it down to 0 volts and discard the battery in my opinion. Sucks that this happened.

Nooo don't throw it away.
Buy a new plastic end to balance it
If you don't have a crimping tool for the connector, just buy the connector with the wires in it already and solder the wires to the old balance wires.
They have them on Amazon. 6 for like 5 bucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back