Lithium-ion battery sparks fire that kills 1 and injures 10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Just a heads up here.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/l...es-10-fdny-says/ar-AA16B1S2?OCID=ansmsnnews11

"FDNY officials said in September 2022 that at least 150 fires had been started by the devices in New York City that year." Maybe my tin foil hat is a bit too tight today but it sounds like some Karen some where will be pushing for restrictions on large capacity batteries and semi-automatic chargers. Coming soon to a city near you!

Sucks to hear but I doubt it, not par for their agenda.

It says:

“Batteries should be kept at room temperature, should be stored away from other flammable materials, and should not be charged under a pillow, on a bed, or on a couch”

I know a few of y’all sleep with your cars! Don’t make me call out names 😂

Just a heads up here.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/l...es-10-fdny-says/ar-AA16B1S2?OCID=ansmsnnews11

"FDNY officials said in September 2022 that at least 150 fires had been started by the devices in New York City that year." Maybe my tin foil hat is a bit too tight today but it sounds like some Karen some where will be pushing for restrictions on large capacity batteries and semi-automatic chargers. Coming soon to a city near you!

It's very sad news..

They referenced >>

Failed lithium-ion batteries, which power things like E-bikes, scooters, cell phones and more, have been the cause of many fires. Overheated or defective batteries can catch fire or even explode, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).

Sucks to hear but I doubt it, not par for their agenda.

It says:

“Batteries should be kept at room temperature, should be stored away from other flammable materials, and should not be charged under a pillow, on a bed, or on a couch”

I know a few of y’all sleep with your cars! Don’t make me call out names 😂
Guilty 🤷‍♂️ but not sorry.

But Karen, doesn't your Tesla use Lithium batteries?

Just a few 6S packs...
She forgot to set it for balance charge.
200.gif

The problem is 1) there is no context behind why they went up in flames and no details provided, 2) it's not the first time I've seen someone confuse li-ion with li-polymer (which is entirely possible here), 3) what this battery was being used in would help shed alot of light on the situation.

Overall, there really is not enough info in this story to provide meaningful conclusions. Another reason the news sucks for this kind of stuff.

Here we go.

The "demonstration" of an unwatched battery chargin that has been tampered with and it only took 2 hrs of over charging. Must be completely unsafe. Who parks a scooter in their living room?

Here we go.

The "demonstration" of an unwatched battery chargin that has been tampered with and it only took 2 hrs of over charging. Must be completely unsafe. Who parks a scooter in their living room?
I'm guessing some people park their scooter inside because of the thief's.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back